Sinead O'Connor RIP

Started by From the Bunker, July 26, 2023, 08:37:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AustinPowers

Quote from: restorepride on July 27, 2023, 12:31:50 AM
Quote from: AustinPowers on July 27, 2023, 12:30:01 AM
Quote from: restorepride on July 27, 2023, 12:15:50 AM
Quote from: AustinPowers on July 26, 2023, 10:29:35 PM
It was probably  just a matter of time  before  we heard this news.  Especially  moreso after her son died  last year.

I always found  it very difficult  to like her, to be   honest.  All this religious, ordination stuff, then this Muslim phase ( or whatever she became later)  just seemed like   constant attempts  for her to try and remain  relevant

I don't mind her version of Nothing compares to you , but  her career never amounted  to much other than  that.   Never really understood the  talk of her having an amazing voice. I never thought so , but others did , so  each to their own

Sorry , I know threads like  these are meant to be  about how great  someone was  , but I don't really have anything positive  to say about  the woman.  God help her children
Please feel free to elaborate. Musically speaking.

I didn't think  she had a great voice.  It's  that simple.
Musically speaking, how did she not have a great voice?  Simple question.

In her songs, she was   either too whispery or as the post above  stated, shrill and shrieking

'haunted' is a great song , but she ruined it for me  with  her whispery singing

You don't need  to go all musically or  technical about it. Some  people can hit  most  of the Right  notes.  It doesn't mean  you like it.  She might have  sounded great to your ear , but  I honestly couldn't listen to her  most of the time

restorepride

Quote from: AustinPowers on July 27, 2023, 12:44:29 AM
Quote from: restorepride on July 27, 2023, 12:31:50 AM
Quote from: AustinPowers on July 27, 2023, 12:30:01 AM
Quote from: restorepride on July 27, 2023, 12:15:50 AM
It was probably  just a matter of time  before  we heard this news.  Especially  moreso after her son died  last year.

I always found  it very difficult  to like her, to be   honest.  All this religious, ordination stuff, then this Muslim phase ( or whatever she became later)  just seemed like   constant attempts  for her to try and remain  relevant

I don't mind her version of Nothing compares to you , but  her career never amounted  to much other than  that.   Never really understood the  talk of her having an amazing voice. I never thought so , but others did , so  each to their own

Sorry , I know threads like  these are meant to be  about how great  someone was  , but I don't really have anything positive  to say about  the woman.  God help her children
Please feel free to elaborate. Musically speaking.

I didn't think  she had a great voice.  It's  that simple.
Musically speaking, how did she not have a great voice?  Simple question.

In her songs, she was   either too whispery or as the post above  stated, shrill and shrieking

'haunted' is a great song , but she ruined it for me  with  her whispery singing

You don't need  to go all musically or  technical about it. Some  people can hit  most  of the Right  notes.  It doesn't mean  you like it.  She might have  sounded great to your ear , but  I honestly couldn't listen to her  most of the time
Yes you do because that is the question being asked of you!  Not whether you liked her voice or not - that is just an opinion.

Jell 0 Biafra

She had the voice of an angel, and oftentimes, a rightly pissed off angel.   I won't be listening to her tonight, because her best songs always bring a tear to my eye, and I'd only be in floods tonight if I tried.

She took a lot of shit for saying the right thing.   Says more about the rest of us than it does her.

Milltown Row2

It's not surprising Sinead rubbed up some people the wrong way, she said what she felt, and I don't think she was 'egged' on by the media. There is no doubting she was a troubled soul and the crap she dealt with by becoming famous you wouldn't wish on your worst enemy.

Her views on the church and how the Vatican dealt with the child abuse can't be argued, she'd a platform to bring attention to it and done it, and while people at the time were annoyed at the ripping up a picture of the pope, it got people talking about what she was was trying to highlight. And if it saved one person from the abuse of a clergy man and brought another to justice then it worked.

Musically she had so many different strings to her bow, she collaborated with over 30 singers, her version of the Nothing compares to you has had over 400 million views, thats more than 400 million views that our poster Austinpowers will get, so I'll take his opinion with a pinch of salt
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

trailer

snoopdog

Each to their own for music tastes. But sinead had some magnificent voice in my opinion. Her version of silent night is as good as you will ever hear. I was never a big fan of sineads I'd agree that rte used her for viewers and let her say whatever.

Pub Bore

Quote from: Itchy on July 26, 2023, 10:41:24 PM

You are entitled to your opinion, a strange time to voice it. Millions of people think differently. Ireland has created some legendary singers and songwriters. Sinead O Connor was one, Shane NcGowan another. When they are gone will we have anyone left with half their talent?

Did she not tout on Shane?

imtommygunn

Quote from: snoopdog on July 27, 2023, 09:31:29 AM
Each to their own for music tastes. But sinead had some magnificent voice in my opinion. Her version of silent night is as good as you will ever hear. I was never a big fan of sineads I'd agree that rte used her for viewers and let her say whatever.

I think she was exploited quite a lot by media etc and wasn't really in a fantastic place mentally so tbh the likes of this happening is up there with Winehouse(not the same league talent wise) because it almost feels inevitable and that is almost the saddest part of it. Troubled, and very talented, soul. RIP

AustinPowers

Quote from: mouview on July 27, 2023, 12:30:45 AM

I agree with a lot of this unfortunately. Maybe through no fault of her own, she was a very damaged and troubled person, who fell out with and caused a lot of strife to those immediately around her. The likes of the Late Late Show and the Sindo constantly egging her on and pandering to her views were absolutely no help either, when it was clear she would have been better served by not giving her quite the large amount of public exposure. (In one of it's more bizarre stunts the paper sent her down to interview Ian Bailey quite recently, which turned out to be a bit of a car wreck).

I wouldn't have her down as one of our greatest talents. Soprano Celine Byrne is our finest singer IMO and there are plenty that were the equal in voice to Sinead. Never really got 'Nothing compares to you' either, I thought it came across as shrill and shrieking. I did have a soft spot for the two below moreso however;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=34zj4_8Qzec
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ej4ZlLlFmLQ

She was given free  reign on the late late .  All three hosts  wheeling her  out time and again  and pandering to her  And her views . I remember she was wheeled out for  the 50th anniversary,  like she was the president or something. Ridiculous.   

imtommygunn

Were they pandering to her or exploiting her for headlines?

mouview

Quote from: imtommygunn on July 27, 2023, 09:58:49 AM
Were they pandering to her or exploiting her for headlines?

One led to the other. Show Biz is ruthless in it's desire to be relevant and to the forefront.

Rossfan

Can you imagine being stuck next to "Austin Powers" at a pub counter?
You'd never go into a pub again ::)
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

balladmaker

Hound

Quote from: Rossfan on July 27, 2023, 10:16:48 AM
Can you imagine being stuck next to "Austin Powers" at a pub counter?
You'd never go into a pub again ::)
I think he's Dave Fanning's brother Dick

Sinead was an awesome singer and the first big Irish personality to be brave enough to call out the Catholic Church abuse cover up publicly.

Rest in peace.