Windows Vista Vs Linux Ubuntu

Started by Deal_Me_In, September 07, 2007, 01:25:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Deal_Me_In

I am interested in upgrading an existing computer (about 2 year old 512MB, 60GB Hard Drive nothing impressive). I have formatted the harddrive and now i am looking to install an operating system but i am unsure as to go with Windows Vista or Linuxs' Ubuntu. (I don not have enough memory to partition the Hard drive and Istall both)

For all you techies out there i was wondering which you would recommend.

I have been using windows OS for approx 10 years and have limited knowledge of Linux, but from comparison articles i have read they are relatively similar but linux is free and offers all their own free software. Anyone out there using ubuntu that can tell me what its like.

Cheers

aidanmcg33

Vista wont run that well on your current system. Ubuntu is ok. You might want to try opensuse if its your first time moving from windows. Interfaces havent got massive differences and again it doesnt cost you to get it. What you should do is run a dual boot system with windows xp and suse. that way, you can still use windows, but can also use suse till you have a bit more experience with it.

Gnevin

Linux is overrated unless your planning to run a server.
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

Deal_Me_In

I have fedora installed at the min but it is a bit clumsy looking, have no problems with the functionallity of it or with any of the programs like openoffice etc, just heard the ubuntu was the lated most user friendly version for other people in the house who would not bee very computer minded.

Captain Scarlet

cant help thinkin of Roots when i see this

Whats your name boy?
whip,whip,whip
Linux Obuntu  :-\
them mysterons are always killing me but im grand after a few days.sickenin aul dose all the same.

David McKeown

I use ubuntu and love it but I would be fairly happy with my knowledge of Debian so I dont know if I am a good case reference.  I put Ubuntu on a friends laptop recently though and he would have had no prior knowledge of linux and he seems to not have any problems.

Also use Vista on my games PC so it really comes down to what you want to do.  The pc your talking about putting it on would struggle with Vista.

Installed ubuntu on my ps3 back in April time too though so that should show you how nerdy i am.  Have taken it of since as it had no practical use
2022 Allianz League Prediction Competition Winner

Homer

You can partition your drive and have both Vista and Ubuntu installed on the same computer and then use whichever OS for their best purpose. Unfortunately from the specs you give a 60 Gb drive is a bit small to have two OS's. Then again as aidanmcg33 says your spec (ie 512 Ram) isn't ideal for even Vista.

Ubuntu is great BTW much more powerful and robust, the only problems are compatibility with software and its not that easy to start with (mainly used by techies).

My two cents is to start with Ubuntu and if it doesn't work out go for Windows. Sure it won't cost you anything to give it a go.

Deal_Me_In

The only other concern i have if with Ubuntus compatability with I-Tunes. The computer will only really be used for internet, email, openoffice stuff and music, have a laptop for when i need to VPN into the work network and not really into the whole gaming thing

heganboy

the first question is what do you plan to do with the computer?

If its for personal use, and you're not planning on accessing some poorly run corporate network that cant deal with Linux then I'd recommend you pick some flavour of Linux.
Ubuntu is the first Linux version that passes the wife test.
My wife who has no IT background could install Ubuntu with just a cd , connect to a wireless connection, access the web, use all of the multimedia players and office tools with no assistance.
There are a couple of great little tools as well that really improve the user experience, one allows all the latest software to be automatically downloaded and installed in the background.
Unless you absolutely have to use windows I would try Ubuntu, even if you hate it, it wont cost you anything to try. Did I mention no virus problems?
Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity

nifan

If you plan to play modern games then id suggest sticking with windows.

kubuntu is my preferred choice, i prefer kde to gnome, for home and at work i use red hat enterprise linux.

heganboy

kubuntu is a lightweight version of ubuntu and will fly on your machine with 512 MB, Vista is a dog unless you have a high spec machine (with a good graphics card) and even then there have been too many problems with it especially with getting hardware drivers, that don't conflict with each other.
Ubuntu- what have you gt to lose?
Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity

Gnevin

What does Linux offer that XP/Vista doesn't?
I've played around win Linux and it doesn't impress me at all in fact it seems to be twice the effort of XP.
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

David McKeown

Quote from: heganboy on September 07, 2007, 02:10:03 PM
the first question is what do you plan to do with the computer?

If its for personal use, and you're not planning on accessing some poorly run corporate network that cant deal with Linux then I'd recommend you pick some flavour of Linux.
Ubuntu is the first Linux version that passes the wife test.
My wife who has no IT background could install Ubuntu with just a cd , connect to a wireless connection, access the web, use all of the multimedia players and office tools with no assistance.
There are a couple of great little tools as well that really improve the user experience, one allows all the latest software to be automatically downloaded and installed in the background.
Unless you absolutely have to use windows I would try Ubuntu, even if you hate it, it wont cost you anything to try. Did I mention no virus problems?

The wireless card was one of only two things I had much problem when setting up ubuntu for the first time (back when pluto was still a planet), what card were you using and did it automatically accept pick it up or did you need ndiswrapper or the like? Also had a problem with getting xgl and compiz to work at the start but I have rectified that now.

As far as getting iTunes to work, you really dont need to there are a large number of alternatives ubuntuforums.org is very useful for this kind of thing.
2022 Allianz League Prediction Competition Winner

Gnevin

Quote from: Gnevin on September 07, 2007, 03:44:45 PM
I've played around win Linux and it doesn't impress me at all in fact it seems to be twice the effort of XP.
Anyone care to answer ?

Homer

Quote from: Gnevin on September 10, 2007, 11:18:10 PM
Quote from: Gnevin on September 07, 2007, 03:44:45 PM
Anyone care to answer ?

A few of my own personal likes.

• No viruses / the need the set up and constantly update and renew anti-virus software.
  • More stable. No blue screen of death. This is the reason why most web servers operate on Linux rather than Windows.
  • Can use workspaces. Makes dossing at work so much easier.
  • Its free.

But as I said before the best solution is to take the best of both worlds and run both.