Boxing

Started by passedit, April 30, 2007, 12:23:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stew

Quote from: An Laoch on May 07, 2007, 09:39:11 PM
Nice question, I've seen most of the old tapes, but it's hard to judge the oldtimers really...but here goes.

1) Ali - the guy completely changed the sport. A stunning talent and extraordinary character (in the sporting sense rather than the comedic - where he was also an extraordinary character)

2) Duran - if you ever get a chance to watch the fight where he beat Leonard you will see a man incredibly determined
and driven, using every trick in the book to win. He was never a boxer, but as a fighter he was the king.

3) Sugar Ray Robinson - A man with dazzling speed and a fantastic record. Reckoned by those from the era to be the greatest by far.

4) Julio Cesar Chavez - Born to box, and did so for as long as he was physically able. A heart and determination surpassing all others.

5) Erm....controversially....Floyd Mayweather - I have seen no one with the natural ability and reflexes he has. Ok he didn't look great against De La Hoya, but look at how much weight he gave up. Back down the weights Mayweather was AWESOME. He narrowly pips Roy Jones to make my top 5.

But I could probably give you a completely different top 5 tomorrow which would include the vastly underrated Lennox Lewis. When do I get to Tyson you ask? Well I think he was fortunate in his timing but that's another post for another day.

I've been staying up for the 3am fights for about20 years, I think Tyson v Williams was my first when I was about 8!

Duran my arse!!! if the quitter was the 2nd on a list of quitters I would say that might be more accurate but on such a list i would put him  umber 1.
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

CiKe

terribly sad news about Corrales - initially when I saw the headline I assumed it was fas a result of some the beatings he took in the ring - -involved in absolute wars with Castillo, Casamayor and Freitas not to mention being knocked down five times by the Pretty Boy. Unbelievable blood and guts courage.

stew you obviously know nothing about boxing - please refer to my earlier post on Duran. As I think someone else said, he wasn't nearly the most skilled boxer of the "Famous Four" but he was some blood and guts fighter hence the nickname the "Scrapper from Panama". For a picture perfect knock out, watch the Hitman knock him clean out (2nd round I think)

I haven't really seen enough of the "Famous Four" to comment on each of them or rank them. Hagler was an absolute beast with a rock like chin and for my money he beat Ray Leonard. His fight with the Hitman is still the most exciting 8 minutes in boxing history - there have been many better rounds than the famous round 1, even quite a few of them over just the last 10 years - but no better three rounds, certainly that I can remember

The fights involving the British (super)middles around the early 90's were great to watch. I think Watson was the only one to fight McCallum of the three top Brits and if I recall correctly he was beaten quite handily. The McClellan-Benn fight was tragic but a real humdinger of a fight - Benn knocked clean out of the ring within a minute and somehow hung on to win.

McCallum would probably be in my top 10 of the last 20 years.

Declan

Great clips there muppet. Hagler was some man alright - never forget his body shots against Minter in Wembley. A great fighter but I always felt Leonard was that little bit better.
QuoteI think Watson was the only one to fight McCallum of the three top Brits and if I recall correctly he was beaten quite handily

Didn't our own Celtic Warrior give McCallum a good fight in America before he fell out with the Petronnellis?

passedit

1. Danny Mc Alinden
2. Richard Dunn
3. Jack Bodell
4. Enery Cooper
5. Joe (Hugger) Bugner
Don't Panic

The Iceman

Best Lightweight ever is a hard one to call between Duran and Barrera

Hearns was the Hitman but the two Sugars: Leonard and Robinson were awesome.

Roy Jones Jr was the man in his time - he reigned as the best pound for pound fighter in the wolrd in his prime

Heavyweights - there is only one  - ALI

favourite fighter though was Tyson for sheer entertainment value and the taste of blood in the air when he was fighting.  A wasted talent but then again that can be said for so many fighters in this era.
I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight

gallsman

Yep, McCallum did indeed fight the Celtic Warrior, beat him on points. I've seen clips of that fight as well as the Kalambay fight and they were both great efforts by Steve. With him and McCullough around at the same time, we had two of the hardest chins in the business!

Didn't Minter procliam that "no black man" was going to take his title? Over in three rounds shows how much Hagler was pissed!

Barrera a lightweight? You might want to check your history books...As far as I know, he never fought at lightweight in his life!

No doubt Jones was as awesome fighter, but he should have fought a hell of a lot more decent fighters when he he was at middle and super middle e.g Collins, McClellan.

CiKe

most of Barrera's fights have been featherweight or super featherweight/junior lightweight.

Barrera was fantastic but isn't even the best Mexican in and around that weight class never mind the best in the world. And it's not Morales either, but Salvador Sanchez. Hard to call possibly given he died in accident at age of 23, but watch his fights against Wilfredo Gomez and Azumah Nelson. The one with Nelson is jsut unreal, non-stop for virtually every second of 15 rounds until it was stopped one minute from the end. Nelson was at this stage largely unknown but went on to becomeprobably one of the top 10-15 of the last 25 years

behind the wire

all very interesting lads. just another question, how do you all rate bernard hopkins? although he is getting on a bit now i think i would still like to see him and calzage in the ring togeather.
He who laughs last thinks the slowest

gallsman

Quote from: behind the wire on May 09, 2007, 09:14:52 PM
how do you all rate bernard hopkins?

Very highly, end of!

He lost two close fights to Taylor, the first of which I thought he won. Came back from them to absolutely annihilate Tarver!

passedit

None of my top 5 made it. I must know less about boxing than Stew. No wait:

http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/boxing/greatest/news/story?id=2815643

50. Mike Tyson

Heavyweight
Ring career: 1985-2005. Record: 50-6-0-2 (44 KOs)
Career notes: Knocked out Trevor Berbick in the second round in November 1986 to become youngest heavyweight champion in history. ... Intimidating demeanor and devastating two-fisted knockout power cowed many opponents into submission before the first bell. ... Tore through heavyweight ranks until being upended by 42-1 underdog James "Buster" Douglas in 1990. ... Comeback was derailed by a prison sentence for rape from 1992 to 1995. ... Regained WBC heavyweight belt from Frank Bruno and WBA belt from Bruce Seldon in 1996, but lost to Evander Holyfield in November of that year. Melted down in rematch, biting both of Holyfield's ears. ... Was beaten badly over eight rounds by Lennox Lewis in 2002. ... Quit on his stool after six rounds in his last fight, against Kevin McBride, in 2005.
Let's go to the video: 50 Greatest: Mike Tyson ESPN Video

49. Erik Morales

Super bantamweight, featherweight, junior lightweight
Ring career: 1993-present Record: 48-5 (34 KOs)
Career notes: Tremendously popular Mexican warrior, whose fights frequently evoke technical brawls of old. ... Career defined primarily by three-fight series with compatriot Marco Antonio Barrera (W12, L12, L12) and Manny Pacquiao (W12, TKO by 10, KO by 3). ... Won WBC super bantamweight title from Daniel Zaragoza in September 1997 and defended nine times. ... Won WBC featherweight crown in September 2000, lost it to Barrera in June 2002, regained now-vacant title five months later. ... Vacated to seize WBC 130-pound championship in February 2004, which he lost in November that year, again to Barrera. ... Has lost four of his last five and is clearly in decline, but has expressed interest in having at least one more fight, for a lightweight belt.

48. Floyd Mayweather Jr.

Junior lightweight, lightweight, junior welterweight, welterweight, junior middleweight
Ring career: 1996-present. Record: 38-0 (24 KOs)
Career notes: Has greater potential than anyone on this list to rise or fall. ... Blessed with tremendous natural ability, but also a skilled technician. ... Won WBC 130-pound title with stoppage of Genaro Hernandez in 18th pro fight. ... Added WBC lightweight belt in 2002, and junior welterweight belt in 2005. ... Defeated Carlos Baldomir to become welterweight champion last year. ... Won split decision against Oscar De La Hoya to annex WBC super welterweight crown. ... Claims to now be retired.
Let's go to the video: 50 Greatest: Floyd Mayweather Jr. ESPN Video

47. Bernard Hopkins

Middleweight, light heavyweight
Ring career: 1988-present Record: 47-4-1 (32 KOs)
Career notes: Lost professional debut, as a light heavyweight, and did not fight again for 16 months. ... Lost first world title challenge, against Roy Jones Jr. for vacant IBF middleweight belt, in 1993. ... Drew with Segundo Mercado in second title attempt, for the same belt, in 1994, but stopped Mercado in rematch. ... Made 20 successful title defenses, adding WBC and IBF titles in 2001, and WBO belt in 2004. ... Lost titles to Jermain Taylor in 2005. ... Retired after stepping up to light heavyweight and defeating Antonio Tarver in 2006, but will emerge from retirement to fight Winky Wright in July.

46. Roy Jones Jr.

Middleweight, super middleweight, light heavyweight, heavyweight
Ring career: 1989-present Record: 50-4 (38 KOs)
Career notes: Tremendously physically gifted, with lightning reflexes and hand speed. ... Won IBF middleweight title against Bernard Hopkins in 1993, then stepped up to super middleweight and dethroned champion James Toney in November 1994. ... After five defenses of 168-pound crown, moved up to light heavyweight, becoming first WBC, then WBA and IBF champion. ... In 2003, added a portion of the heavyweight championship when he dominated WBA titlist John Ruiz. ... Through first 50 contests, only defeat was by DQ against Montell Griffin.

45. Carlos Monzon

Middleweight
Ring career: 1963-77 Record: 87-3-9-1 (59 KOs)
Career notes: Lost three times in first 19 bouts, then went undefeated over the final 81 of career. ... Won world middleweight title from Nino Benvenuti in Rome in November 1970, and defended it 14 times over next seven years.

44. Pernell Whitaker

Lightweight, junior welterweight, welterweight
Ring career: 1984-2001 Record: 40-4-1-1 (17 KOs)
Career notes: Defensive master frequently left opponents flummoxed and struggling to tackle unorthodox moves. ... Only definitive defeats of career were final two bouts; of other two losses, one was controversial and one, his first world title shot, against WBC champion Jose Ramirez in 1988, was considered outright robbery. ... Won the title, against Greg Haugen, following year, and defeated Ramirez in a rematch. ... Added WBA lightweight belt in 1990, IBF junior welterweight title in 1992 and WBC welterweight belt in 1993. ... Widely believed to have beaten Julio Cesar Chavez in September 1993 bout declared a draw. ... Lost close decision to Oscar De La Hoya in April 1997, and didn't hold world title again.
Let's go to the video: 50 Greatest: Pernell Whitaker ESPN Video

43. Marco Antonio Barrera

Junior featherweight, featherweight, junior lightweight
Ring career: 1989-present Record: 63-5 (42 KOs)
Career notes: Mexican brawler has evolved into masterful boxer-puncher. ... Won WBO 122-pound title in March 1995, but lost title in shocker to Junior Jones in November 1996. ... Regained vacant title in October 1998, and moved up to featherweight in April 2001, dominating favored Englishman Naseem Hamed. ... Rebounded from stoppage defeat to Manny Pacquiao to defeat Erik Morales for second time in three-fight series and take the WBC super featherweight title. ... Lost title to compatriot Juan Manuel Marquez in March.

42. Alexis Arguello

Featherweight, junior lightweight, lightweight, junior welterweight
Ring career: 1968-95 Record: 80-8 (64 KOs)
Career notes: Classy boxer-puncher renowned for gentlemanly behavior and attitude outside ring. ... Failed in first attempt at world title, falling short over 15 rounds in bid for WBA featherweight strap against Ernesto Marcel in February 1974. ... Won the title on next attempt, dethroning Ruben Olivares later that year. ... Defended title four times before annexing WBC 130-pound crown in January 1978; after eight defenses, moved up to lightweight, outpointing WBC champ Jim Watt in 1981. ... Came up short in two epic battles with Aaron Pryor for 140-pound championship in 1982 and 1983, after which he retired, before making two short comebacks.

41. Ted "Kid" Lewis

Featherweight, welterweight, middleweight, light heavyweight, heavyweight
Ring career: 1909-29 Record: 173-30-14 (71 KOs) and 65 no-decisions
Career notes: Won British featherweight title while only 18, and added European crown four months later. ... Won world welterweight title from Jack Britton in August 1915, before losing it to, regaining it from, and losing it once more to Britton in subsequent bouts. ... Fought Britton 20 times, with 12 of the bouts ending in no-decisions. ... Returned to Britain to annex that country's middleweight, light heavyweight and heavyweight crowns, and challenged world light heavyweight (and European heavyweight) champion Georges Carpentier in 1922, despite weighing only 153 pounds.
Don't Panic

passedit

http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/boxing/greatest/featureVideo?page=greatest3140

40. Evander Holyfield

Cruiserweight, heavyweight
Ring career: 1984-present Record: 41-8-2 (26 KOs)
Career notes: Considered to have one of the greatest fighting hearts of any boxer. ... Recognized as greatest champion in history of mostly moribund heavyweight division. ... Won WBA cruiser belt by split decision against Dwight Muhammad Qawi after a tremendous battle in just 12th pro bout. ... Later added IBF and WBC belts before moving up to heavyweight. ... Knocked out Buster Douglas in third round to become heavyweight champion in 1990. ... Lost title to, and regained it from, Riddick Bowe in 1992 and 1993, respectively, before losing it again to Michael Moorer. ... Regained WBA belt with stunning 11th-round knockout of Mike Tyson in 1996; Tyson bit off part of his ear en route to disqualification in the rematch. ... Widely adjudged to have lost March 1999 unification bout with Lennox Lewis officially scored a draw, but lost on scorecards in rematch. ... Three successive defeats, to Chris Byrd, James Toney and Larry Donald from 2002-04, led to calls for his retirement, but has scored three victories since and continues to campaign for another shot at heavyweight title.

39. Oscar De La Hoya

Junior lightweight, lightweight, junior welterweight, welterweight, junior middleweight, middleweight
Ring career: 1992-present Record: 38-5 (32 KOs)
Career notes: Most financially successful non-heavyweight in boxing history, and arguably sport's only remaining mainstream star. ... Won WBO 130-pound title in 12th fight, and same organization's lightweight belt two bouts later. ... Stopped Rafael Ruelas in two rounds in May 1995 to take IBF lightweight crown. ... Defeated Julio Cesar Chavez, adding WBC junior welterweight belt to collection the following year, and outpointed Pernell Whitaker to claim WBC welterweight crown the year after that. ... Lost highly controversial decision in unification bout with IBF champ Felix Trinidad in September 1999, and suffered second defeat, to Sugar Shane Mosley, in June 2000. ... Defeated Javier Castillejo to become WBC junior middleweight titlist in June 2001, and added WBA belt with September 2002 stoppage of Fernando Vargas, but lost both belts on disputed points defeat to Mosley. ... Claimed WBO middleweight belt with razor-thin victory over Felix Sturm in June 2004, but was knocked out by Bernard Hopkins in bid for undisputed championship that September. ... Knocked out Ricardo Mayorga in May 2006 to regain WBC 154-pound belt. ... Lost 154-pound belt in split decision to Floyd Mayweather Jr. on Saturday.

38. Larry Holmes

Heavyweight
Ring career: 1973-2002 Record: 69-6 (44 KOs)
Career notes: Claimed vacant WBC heavyweight title with thrilling 15-round split-decision win over Ken Norton in June 1978, but labored in shadow of the recently retired Muhammad Ali. ... Ali came out of retirement to challenge him in October 1980, and Holmes dished out a terrible beating until Ali's corner stopped the fight after 10th round. ... Made 20 defenses of heavyweight crown and ran record to 48-0 before dropping a pair of controversial points decisions to Michael Spinks, after which he briefly retired. ... Came back in January 1988 to challenge Mike Tyson, but was stopped in fourth round. ... Came back again in 1991 and fought more or less continuously until 1997. ... Fought twice more for heavyweight crown, losing on points to Evander Holyfield (June 1992) and Oliver McCall (April 1995). ... Final bout was glorified carnival sideshow win over Eric "Butterbean" Esch in 2002.
Let's go to the video: 50 Greatest: Larry Holmes ESPN Video

37. Thomas Hearns

Welterweight, junior middleweight, middleweight, super middleweight, light heavyweight, cruiserweight
Ring career: 1977-2006 Record: 61-5-1 (48 KOs)
Career notes: With freakish power and an occasionally suspect chin, seemed destined to either knock out or be knocked out in many of his big fights. ... Won WBA welterweight title with two-round stoppage of Pipino Cuevas in 1980, but failed in unification attempt with WBC champ Sugar Ray Leonard in 1981; leading on points through 12, was knocked down in the 13th and stopped in 14th. ... Bounced back to win WBC junior middleweight title from Wilfred Benitez in 1982; in second defense, starched Roberto Duran in the second round. ... Was knocked out in three by Marvin Hagler in thrilling attempt to lift middleweight crown in 1985. ... Stopped Dennis Andries to win WBC light heavyweight title in March 1987, then dropped back down to middleweight to claim vacant WBC belt. ... Lost title in shocking three-round knockout at hands of Iran Barkley in June 1988, but came back to score draw in June 1989 rematch with Leonard most observers thought he won. ... Retired after loss through injury to Uriah Grant in cruiserweight fight in 2000, but staged two-fight comeback in 2005 and 2006.

36. Eder Jofre

Bantamweight, featherweight
Ring career: 1957-76 Record: 72-2-4 (50 KOs)
Career notes: Won NBA bantamweight title with sixth-round knockout of Eloy Sanchez in November 1960, and became recognized as undisputed champion with defeat of Piero Rollo the following March. ... Made seven successful defenses, all by knockout, until losing championship, and rematch, to Fighting Harada in 1965 and 1966, only two defeats of career. ... Won world featherweight championship in May 1973, after 16 years as a pro.

35. Marvin Hagler

Middleweight
Ring career: 1973-87 Record: 62-3-2 (57 KOs)
Career notes: First attempt to win world title came up short when held to draw against Vito Antuofermo in November 1979. ... In following September, did win title by stopping Alan Minter in three. ... Defended title successfully 12 times, winning first seven bouts by knockout (including rematch with Antuofermo). ... Resisted strong challenge over 15 rounds from Roberto Duran in November 1983, and knocked out Thomas Hearns in the third round of one of the most intense and exciting title fights in living memory, in April 1985. ... Retired after suffering controversial points defeat to underdog Sugar Ray Leonard in April 1987.

34. Emile Griffith

Welterweight, junior middleweight, middleweight
Ring career: 1958-77 Record: 85-24-2-1 (23 KOs)
Career notes: Despite winning the world welterweight championship three times and middleweight championship twice, will be forever known for one dark night, when he regained 147-pound crown from Benny "Kid" Paret on March 24, 1962: live on national television, he battered Paret into unconsciousness and death, and although he fought on for many years, was never quite the same. ... After losing middleweight title the second time, made four more attempts to regain it, before retiring after losing to Alan Minter in 1977. ... Was stopped just twice in 112 fights.

33. Ruben Olivares

Bantamweight, featherweight
Ring career: 1965-88 Record: 88-13-3 (78 KOs)
Career notes: Popular, hard-hitting champion won WBA and WBC bantamweight titles in August 1969, but lost on cuts to Chucho Castillo in October 1970, before regaining championship six months later. ... Lost belts a second time, to Rafael Herrera, in March 1972. ... Took vacant WBA featherweight championship in July 1974, but lost to Alexis Arguello four months afterward. ... Came back from two second-round knockdowns to score second-round TKO over Bobby Chacon and win WBC belt in 1975. ... Lost title in first defense, over 15 rounds to David Kotey.

32. Jose Napoles

Welterweight, middleweight
Ring career: 1958-75 Record: 77-7 (54 KOs)
Career notes: Won world welterweight title in April 1969 with 13th-round TKO of Curtis Cokes. ... Challenged Carlos Monzon for middleweight crown in 1974, but was stopped in seventh round. ... Made three defenses, but was stopped on cuts by journeyman Billy Backus in December 1970. ... Avenged loss with fourth-round TKO six months later, and made nine more defenses of title before losing to John H. Stracey in 1975 and retiring immediately afterward. ... Known as "mantequilla" for his buttery-smooth boxing skills.

31. Billy Conn

Middleweight, light heavyweight, heavyweight
Ring career: 1935-48 Record: 63-12-1 (14 KOs)
Career notes: Talented boxer beat middleweight champion Fred Apostoli twice in non-title bouts, before claiming light heavyweight crown in July 1939. ... Challenged Joe Louis for heavyweight championship in June 1941, and was outboxing the champion until he decided to stand and trade -- he started fighting, when he should have continued boxing -- and was knocked out at the end of the 13th round.
Let's go to the video: 50 Greatest: Billy Conn ESPN Video
Don't Panic

passedit

http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/boxing/greatest/featureVideo?page=greatest2130

30. Terry McGovern

Bantamweight, featherweight Ring career: 1897-1908 Record: 60-4-4 (42 KOs) and 10 no-decisions
Career notes: Fearsome puncher. ... Won world bantamweight title in 1899 with first-round knockout. ... Added featherweight crown via eighth-round stoppage victory in January 1900. ... Every one of six title defenses was by knockout.

29. Sandy Saddler

Featherweight, junior lightweight Ring career: 1944-57 Record: 144-16-2 (103 KOs)
Career notes: Tall and skinny for a featherweight. ... Frequently chastised for regular recourse to rough-and-tumble tactics, although also possessed good boxing skills. ... Only opponent to regularly get better of Willie Pep, whom he beat three times out of four, all victories coming inside the distance. ... Won featherweight championship in first bout, in October 1948, before losing it in rematch four months later. ... Won junior lightweight belt in December 1949. ... After two defenses, abdicated crown to concentrate again on featherweight division. ... Reclaimed championship from Pep in 1950. ... Held on to title until 1956, although two of those years were spent inactive while in Army. ... Retired as champion in January 1957 as result of vision problems stemming from an auto accident.

28. Jake LaMotta

Middleweight Ring career: 1941-54 Record: 83-19-4 (30 KOs)
Career notes: Famed for biography "Raging Bull," made into movie by Martin Scorsese, with Robert DeNiro playing LaMotta. ... Most famous for six bouts with Sugar Ray Robinson: LaMotta won the second -- the first to defeat Robinson -- but lost other five. ... Won world middleweight title against Marcel Cerdan in 1949, but lost it to Robinson in 1951. ... Knocked down just once in his career, by Danny Nardico in 1952.
Let's go to the video: 50 Greatest: Jake LaMotta ESPN Video

27. Ezzard Charles

Middleweight, light heavyweight, heavyweight Ring career: 1940-59 Record: 96-25-1 (58 KOs)
Career notes: Had more heavyweight championship fights than anyone not named Holyfield, Louis or Ali. ... Four title bouts came against Jersey Joe Walcott; won first two encounters, taking NBA heavyweight belt in 1949 before achieving universal recognition as champ with victory over Joe Louis the following year, and defeating Walcott again in March 1951. ... Was TKO'd by Walcott in July 1951 to lose title, lost again on points and failed in two attempts to wrest belt back from Rocky Marciano.

26. Joe Frazier

Heavyweight Ring career: 1965-81 Record: 32-4-1 (27 KOs)
Career notes:Four losses came to two opponents. ... One of three greatest heavyweights in perhaps greatest heavyweight generation ever. ... Claimed world title during Muhammad Ali's suspension for refusing the draft, but many regarded Ali as true champion. ... Met Ali on March 8, 1971, in "Fight of the Century"; Frazier floored Ali in 15th to cement unanimous points victory. ... Lost title to George Foreman in 1973, and lost on points to Ali in non-title bout the following year. ... Fought Ali in 1975 a third time in the "Thrilla in Manila," widely regarded as greatest heavyweight title bout of all time. Ali retained title when Frazier's trainer Eddie Futch stopped contest after 14 brutal rounds. ... Retired after losing again to Foreman in 1976, but came back briefly in 1981, scoring a draw with Jumbo Cummings.
Let's go to the video: 50 Greatest: Joe Frazier ESPN Video

25. Marcel Cerdan

Middleweight Ring career: 1934-49 Record: 106-4 (61 KOs)
Career notes: One of most popular athletes in French history. ... Born in Algeria before emigrating to France. ... Suffered four defeats in 110 bouts, each dubious: two via disqualification, one on a controversial decision and once after injuring shoulder against Jake LaMotta in defense of world middleweight title won from Tony Zale. ... Was killed in a plane crash while en route to rematch.

24. Julio Cesar Chavez

Super featherweight, lightweight, junior welterweight, welterweight Ring career: 1980-2005 Record: 108-6-2 (87 KOs)
Career notes: Arguably most revered Mexican boxer in history. ... Called "J.C. Superstar." ... Known especially for heavy hands and murderous body punches. ... Won first 88 professional fights before escaping with draw against Pernell Whitaker in 1993. ... Tasted defeat for first time against Frankie Randall four months later. ... Won WBC super featherweight title in September 1984. ... Stopped Edwin Rosario to win WBA lightweight belt in November 1987. ... Added WBC belt with defeat of Jose Luis Ramirez in 1988. ... Stopped Roger Mayweather to annex WBC junior welterweight crown in May 1989. ... Added IBF title with last-second stoppage win over Meldrick Taylor in 1990. ... Lost title to Randall, but regained it in rematch. Lost it again, to Oscar De La Hoya, in 1996, and did not hold a world title again.
Let's go to the video: 50 Greatest: Julio Cesar Chavez ESPN Video

23. Jimmy McLarnin

Flyweight, lightweight, welterweight Ring career: 1923-36 Record: 62-11-3 (20 KOs) and 1 no-decision
Career notes: Won welterweight championship in 1933 with first-round knockout. ... Then engaged in spectacular three-fight series with Barney Ross, winning one and losing two. ... Held victories over 13 world champions. ... Was perhaps first fighter to be referred to by sportswriters as best "pound-for-pound" fighter in the world.

22. Barney Ross

Lightweight, junior welterweight, welterweight Ring career: 1929-38 Record: 72-4-3 (22 KOs) and 2 no-decisions
Career notes: Claimed both lightweight and junior welterweight titles with victory over Tony Canzoneri in 1933, and defended both in rematch. ... Defeated Jimmy McLarnin for welterweight title in 1935, lost it in a rematch, and regained it in rubber match. ... Lost title to Henry Armstrong and retired.
Let's go to the video: 50 Greatest: Barney Ross ESPN Video

21. Tony Canzoneri

Bantamweight, featherweight, lightweight, junior welterweight Ring career: 1925-39 Record: 137-24-10 (44 KOs) and 4 no-decisions
Career notes: Won world featherweight championship in February 1928 when only 19, but lost first defense. ... Knocked out Al Singer in first round to win lightweight championship in 1930. ... Added junior welterweight title the following year. ... Lost, regained, and again lost both lightweight and junior welterweight belts.
Don't Panic

behind the wire

good man micky, keep them coming. thats a good whos who of world boxing.

did any of you ever do a bit of boxing? in the ring that is.
He who laughs last thinks the slowest

Declan

Quotedid any of you ever do a bit of boxing? in the ring that is.

Not me but the old man did back in the day - have a great black and white pic of him and his twin brother from the stadium - The fighting twins!!!
His uncle fought in the Helsinki Olympics - 1952 and the singlet is in the Mothers attic - I hope!