Boxing

Started by passedit, April 30, 2007, 12:23:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lurganblue

Quote from: Declan on May 01, 2007, 07:31:04 AM
QuoteDe La Hoya v Mayweather this weekend

Should be a cracker alright. Think Mayweather may have the edge though

i hope mayweather wins and does not retire after, in the hope that he'll go ahead and fight hatton next

thejuice

i think he does plan on fighting Hatton, he said he would retire form boxing in the US but he would still fight one last time against Hatton.
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

CiKe

whatever about him beating De La Hoya, he would destroy Hatton. De La Hoya is considerably bigger than Mayweather and has one of the best left hooks in the business, if he can simply outmuscle Mayweather we might be in for an interesting fight as I don't think Mayweather has anywhere near the power to cause a stoppage. That said, bullying Floyd will be no easy task as his ring generalship is just about the best there is.

Hatton's not fit to lace his boots, and his face would be cut up as badly as Gatti's by the end of the fight - probably worse actually as I'm not sure Mayweather could stop him, which would mean slicing him up for a full 12 rounds.

If Mayweather keeps fighting the biggest fight out there for him after this is Shane Mosley. I think he has more of a chance than De La Hoya as he is as strong, if not stronger than De La Hoya and as fast if not faster than Mayweather himself.

Gabriel_Hurl

I'm pulling for the Golden Boy

Declan

QuoteI'm pulling for the Golden Boy

Bad mental image there GH ::)

Imposerous

Should be a very interesting fight.  Two contrasting individuals.  I love Mayweather's speed, but this is big step-up in weight.  De la Hoya has been sparring with Mosely, which is ideal preparation for him.  Looking forward to it.

thejuice

Should be a good bout. But I expect Mayweather to win, he's younger and undefeated. De La Hoya will tire more if it goes beyond 8-9 rounds. But nothing can be taken for  granted.
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

Tyrones own

I'll take De La Hoya to knock him out in the 6th 8)
Where all think alike, no one thinks very much.
  - Walter Lippmann

stew

De La Hoya is old in boxing terms and as great as he was this fight is a reach, Mayweather to win  by TKO in 7. I hope I am wrong though.

This might be the fight that defines De La Hoya as a fighter, a win here will elevate him among the boxing immortals.
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

Tyrones own

Quote from: stew on May 05, 2007, 01:26:43 AM
De La Hoya is old in boxing terms and as great as he was this fight is a reach, Mayweather to win  by TKO in 7. I hope I am wrong though.

This might be the fight that defines De La Hoya as a fighter, a win here will elevate him among the boxing immortals.

Exactly Stew but i feel this may well play into his hands, its been played fairly well in the media at this point.
  He's crafty, has serious power, taller and a longer reach, if he can keep the straight left jab in his face to keep him out
  the big right may well start finding its target.
  Has Mayweather's chin been tested to date against the power of a De La Hoya?
Where all think alike, no one thinks very much.
  - Walter Lippmann

CiKe

Mayweather's chin hasn't been tested by anything like De La Hoya's power, the biggest puncher that I can think of that he has faced was Judah, but De la Hoya is a whole different animal. He may well only have outweighed Mayweather by 4lbs at the weigh in but i'd be surprised if it wasn't between 10-15lbs come fight time - he was on the limit and will bulk up considerably whereas if Floyd was going to bulk up any more he wouldn't have come in so low ie I expect Mayweather to enter the ring at or around the 150lbs he weighed for the weigh in.

Mayweather does not have the power to stop De La Hoya unless it's on cuts, and I don't recall Oscar ever cutting that badly. Oscar has been in with the biggest punchers at or around this weight level for the last 6-7 years including Quartey and Tito who are both much more powerful than Mayweather and also Mosley and Mayorga.

I'll go for Mayweather on points. If it's a KO then there is only one winner.

corn02

Mayweather is not as cocky as he seems, as he said himself his trash talking is just a way to relax him before the fight. A bit of sportsmanship with no intent.

Anyone else sick of all the sky hype? I am sick hearing about the fight of the century and the build up shows every hour or so. Let us just enjoy the fight.

CiKe

Agreed Corn with all they hype it really is setting the fight up to be a real let down. Fingers crossed that won't be the case - hope it turns out that Mayweather can take DLH's best punches with relative ease, because if he cant we could have him backpedalling into a defensive shell very quickly - something that no one is better than him at.

stew

Baies if they dont hype the bloody thing up no one watches it, thats why they do it.

The last fights to really live up to the hype were when the hitman was knocking about, the fights he was involved in were the best ever, end of.

Three great fighters and a decent quitter in that era.

Hearns.

Hagler.

Leonard.

And duran the quitter.
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

slievegullion

Yes Stew, promotion is essential. But there is such a thing as over hping it.