Windows 7

Started by comethekingdom, October 22, 2009, 09:30:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

comethekingdom

The new Microsoft operating system - is it any good? Should one invest in it and do away with Vista for running the laptop?

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: comethekingdom on October 22, 2009, 09:30:10 PM
The new Microsoft operating system - is it any good? Should one invest in it and do away with Vista for running the laptop?

Reports are that it's very good -- much smaller footprint than either of XP or Vista, and much less intrusive than Vista. Definitely recommended to swap Vista for Windoze Windows 7 (it's a direct upgrade from Vista, meaning that it isn't a fresh install -- your documents and photos, etc., remain intact during the installation process), and if you bought the Vista in the last 4 months it's a free upgrade, apparently. It seems to work well even on older PCs or laptops that aren't too highly spec'ed.
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

Dinny Breen

running it as  I type, very impressed thus far, big improvement on Vista..
#newbridgeornowhere

RMDrive

Quote from: Dinny Breen on October 22, 2009, 10:29:50 PM

Care to tell us the positives you have noted so far? I mean visible stuff rather than anything going on deep in the gears.

comethekingdom

Quote from: Dinny Breen on October 22, 2009, 10:29:50 PM

how much does it cost?

Dinny Breen

Freebie copy from last nights windows 7 launch in Dublin. Only installed about an hour but the speed is a fast improvement from Vista and definitely not using as much juice on the battery. Looks good too..
#newbridgeornowhere

Treasurer

I hear some recent purchases of vista may be entitled to free upgrade?? Anyone know where I might check this?

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: Treasurer on October 22, 2009, 11:57:06 PM
I hear some recent purchases of vista may be entitled to free upgrade?? Anyone know where I might check this?

Heard the MS Head in Ireland on the radio this evening Treas, and he said you would be entitled to a free upgrade if you'd purchased within the last 4 months (I think). Check it out here: http://www.microsoft.com/ireland/windows/default.mspx

Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

Mhic Easmuint

Quote from: Treasurer on October 22, 2009, 11:57:06 PM

Or if you check the manufacturers website for the model you purchased.  Some are eligible and some aren't.

ziggysego

Testing Accessibility