2018 NFL Division 1

Started by Kuwabatake Sanjuro, January 02, 2018, 09:17:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

galwayman

Quote from: Maroon Manc on February 05, 2018, 10:29:31 AM
Quote from: An Fhairche Abu on February 05, 2018, 10:12:47 AM
Quote from: Maroon Manc on February 05, 2018, 09:55:57 AM
Another good win for Galway and another game where they didn't concede any goal chances. Comer and Walsh were very good although Walsh did have a very bad wide when in on goal and dropped another one short when he should have kept going or moved in.

Kickouts remain to be a huge problem, think Galway managed to retain possession only 4 times in the 2nd half on their own kickouts whilst giving it away at least 7 or 8 times, it continues to be a huge problem. Donegal dominated around the middle and won the majority of breaking ball too.

Galway on the ball were very good though and kicked some great scores but Varley & Sweeney were passengers, Kelly was slightly better but its hard to see him starting come championship.

Donegal relied too heavily on McBrearty who was superb, they didn't move the ball as quickly as Galway.

I thought Hughes was poor, for the first 50 minutes he was very harsh on Galway; He tried leveling it up in the last 20 giving Galway some very soft frees.

This is a really key point, we're not seeing any improvement in what has become one of the most important facets of the game. As I said after the Tyrone match I wouldn't be in a rush to criticise Lavelle for his kick outs as it is the same problem regardless of who is in goals, it's an overall team issue, the chopping and changing of keepers during Walsh's reign is symptomatic of trying lads out as if one of them will go in between the sticks and just suddenly solve it on their own.

Agreed its an overall team issue, most of the time it was kick out long and hope for the best which is clearly not good enough and very frustrating to watch. Power though is a better kicker of the ball and surely will come back into the team when Corofin are done.

On a positive note we managed to win a game with very little possession against Div 1 opposition which wouldn't have happened in recent years.
Agreed, our kickout strategy is a real worry. We spent almost the entire second half defending because we had no possession.
So bearing that in mind it was a really good win.
The fullback line for me is still a huge concern.
Declan Kyne is getting found out in a lot of games & the jury is still out on Sean Andy.
He really needs to improve in possession. He sloppily gave away the ball several times against Tyrone and did it again yesterday on a few occasions needlessly. But Kevin is right to give him his chance in this campaign.
Varley & Sweeney weren't in the game yesterday at all though it was very hard for Varley as he was so isolated a lot of the time.
Come championship Ian Burke, Armie & Michael Daly injury permitting will be ahead of both of them.
I'd like to see Cunningham get a start in one of the upcoming games.
Kevin knows what Sweeney & Varley can do at this stage but needs to see if Cunningham can step up or not.
Coming in off the bench for the last 15-20 minutes of a game where you are hanging onto a lead and retreating en masse isn't going to tell you a lot about a player like him.
Give him a start and see if he makes an impact or not.
Also I think Walsh and Comer are probably playing too deep for us a lot of the time.
I'd like to see us keeping those guys higher up the pitch where they can do damage.
Let others like Eamonn Brannigan do the chasing back.
I often feel like Shane gets the ball and has that explosive initial burst of pace where he beats his man - and then finds himself still in our half or around midfield.
If he was higher up the pitch when doing this he would be far more dangerous.

Now they are the negatives out of the way :-)
There were lots of positives as well but if we can improve on some of the issues such as kickouts etc we will be in better shape come championship.

Hound

Tyrone probably created more scoring chances that Dublin during the game. But that was a horrendous run of shooting in the third quarter (and longer). With Brennan and McAlliskey both looking really sharp in the first half, it was hard to understand why they didnt try to give them more ball in the 2nd. Apart from the shooting, Tyrone's gameplan worked really well and it really should have been a very tight game going into the last 10 minutes.

Very interesting move by Gavin to play Kilkenny at full forward for chunks of the game. I'd like to see more of that

I thought Kerry were very impressive, especially given so many new faces in the team. I was impressed with their defenders as well as their forwards. Showed some inexperience for sure, but generally seemed tough and pacy. Keeper looked a bit dodge, a bit of work to do to get up to the required standard.

tonto1888

Quote from: rosnarun on February 05, 2018, 11:24:03 AM
Quote from: straightred on February 03, 2018, 10:37:51 PM
Quote from: Dinny Breen on February 03, 2018, 09:01:24 PM
14 man Dublin beat Tyrone by 6 points in Omagh.

I would laugh at how people think somehow Dublin wouldn't have it easy if they played in the Ulster championship except it's just not funny anymore. A Dublin team back training 3 weeks.
and 13 man Kerry make Mayo look silly in castlebar - in know its early but Kerry seem to be bringing lads through and I'd say they'll be the biggest threat to Dublin

so far this year  mayo have had 9 players sent off against them to zero mayos players .
is that teams think mayo can be bullied or is mayos discipline just exceptionally good.
Kerry routinely dragged mayo attackers to the ground Saturday  not to mention the assault on Evan Regan . very disappointing and frustrating to watch

was he the lad who got shouldered as he was still on the ground?

dublin7

Quote from: tonto1888 on February 05, 2018, 12:00:09 PM

I would laugh at how people think somehow Dublin wouldn't have it easy if they played in the Ulster championship except it's just not funny anymore. A Dublin team back training 3 weeks.
and 13 man Kerry make Mayo look silly in castlebar - in know its early but Kerry seem to be bringing lads through and I'd say they'll be the biggest threat to Dublin

so far this year  mayo have had 9 players sent off against them to zero mayos players .
is that teams think mayo can be bullied or is mayos discipline just exceptionally good.
Kerry routinely dragged mayo attackers to the ground Saturday  not to mention the assault on Evan Regan . very disappointing and frustrating to watch

Mayo no 9 should have got a black card for running in on the kerry lad after he missed the penalty. Totally unnecessary and started a mini flare up. 

WT4E

Quote from: Hound on February 05, 2018, 11:54:03 AM
Tyrone probably created more scoring chances that Dublin during the game. But that was a horrendous run of shooting in the third quarter (and longer). With Brennan and McAlliskey both looking really sharp in the first half, it was hard to understand why they didnt try to give them more ball in the 2nd. Apart from the shooting, Tyrone's gameplan worked really well and it really should have been a very tight game going into the last 10 minutes.

Very interesting move by Gavin to play Kilkenny at full forward for chunks of the game. I'd like to see more of that

Good analysis.

Tyrone shooting was awful with wrong players ending up trying pot shots. I think to be fair the elements meant it was much harder to get long early ball into the forwards (into a stiff breeze) and Dublin tightened up on this in the 2nd half also.

I think the Kilkenny move was just reactive thinking from Gavin. He probably saw that Kilkenny was on Aidan McCrory who is very limited in certain aspects of his game and he decided to exploit that. Gavin unlike our manger seems to react very quickly to things like that where Harte hasn't been reacting quick enough for years now.

Brennan a real positive - how he has sat on the bench for two years is unbelievable.

I firmly believe more than ever that Harte is holding Tyrone back rather than progressing them at the moment.

the goal was on

Tyrone been targeting this game game since they resumed training in late November. Dublin back 3 weeks. Tyrone held them to draw last year in feb. If game had of been in croker been a 10 point game

Captain Obvious

Quote from: the goal was on on February 05, 2018, 02:01:48 PM
Tyrone been targeting this game game since they resumed training in late November. Dublin back 3 weeks. Tyrone held them to draw last year in feb. If game had of been in croker been a 10 point game
Having watched Tyrone in the last two games I don't think they are putting much focus into the league this year at all and are already looking ahead to Ulster championship and probably the super 8.

the goal was on

Yeah that's why they were back in November and all big players available are playing. Perhaps your right but not hartes approach. If you see Colm cav next week I think that will tell the tale

Fuzzman

I heard someone else say that as well that they're scheduling their training to peak much later in the year but I thought in the first half they were well up for it but second half again no leaders or nobody to take the game by the scruff of the neck.

Dublin looked like they had the spare man for most of the 2nd half and I was disgusted how many times they just walked through and shot without a red hand being laid on them.

I've not saw the match on TV yet but what was the horrible mixup with the goal.

I think if we can field Lee Brennan and McAliskey over the summer we could make the semis again but i don't think we can go beyond that. Was Mattie Donnelly injured or just invisible?

Maroon Manc

Quote from: galwayman on February 05, 2018, 11:26:23 AM
Another good win for Galway and another game where they didn't concede any goal chances. Comer and Walsh were very good although Walsh did have a very bad wide when in on goal and dropped another one short when he should have kept going or moved in.

Kickouts remain to be a huge problem, think Galway managed to retain possession only 4 times in the 2nd half on their own kickouts whilst giving it away at least 7 or 8 times, it continues to be a huge problem. Donegal dominated around the middle and won the majority of breaking ball too.

Galway on the ball were very good though and kicked some great scores but Varley & Sweeney were passengers, Kelly was slightly better but its hard to see him starting come championship.

Donegal relied too heavily on McBrearty who was superb, they didn't move the ball as quickly as Galway.

I thought Hughes was poor, for the first 50 minutes he was very harsh on Galway; He tried leveling it up in the last 20 giving Galway some very soft frees.

This is a really key point, we're not seeing any improvement in what has become one of the most important facets of the game. As I said after the Tyrone match I wouldn't be in a rush to criticise Lavelle for his kick outs as it is the same problem regardless of who is in goals, it's an overall team issue, the chopping and changing of keepers during Walsh's reign is symptomatic of trying lads out as if one of them will go in between the sticks and just suddenly solve it on their own.

Agreed its an overall team issue, most of the time it was kick out long and hope for the best which is clearly not good enough and very frustrating to watch. Power though is a better kicker of the ball and surely will come back into the team when Corofin are done.

On a positive note we managed to win a game with very little possession against Div 1 opposition which wouldn't have happened in recent years.
Agreed, our kickout strategy is a real worry. We spent almost the entire second half defending because we had no possession.
Declan Kyne is getting found out in a lot of games & the jury is still out on Sean Andy.
He really needs to improve in possession. He sloppily gave away the ball several times against Tyrone and did it again yesterday on a few occasions needlessly. But Kevin is right to give him his chance in this campaign.
Varley & Sweeney weren't in the game yesterday at all though it was very hard for Varley as he was so isolated a lot of the time.
Come championship Ian Burke, Armie & Michael Daly injury permitting will be ahead of both of them.
Kevin knows what Sweeney & Varley can do at this stage but needs to see if Cunningham can step up or not.
Coming in off the bench for the last 15-20 minutes of a game where you are hanging onto a lead and retreating en masse isn't going to tell you a lot about a player like him.
Also I think Walsh and Comer are probably playing too deep for us a lot of the time.
I'd like to see us keeping those guys higher up the pitch where they can do damage.
I often feel like Shane gets the ball and has that explosive initial burst of pace where he beats his man - and then finds himself still in our half or around midfield.

There were lots of positives as well but if we can improve on some of the issues such as kickouts etc we will be in better shape come championship.

Comer certainly plays too deep but can see why, he's one of our best players at making a turnover. Its hard to know what the right balance is in the forwards but at least we have plenty of options in that department with Daly, Burke & Cummins to return too but you can't help but feel he'll play Heaney in the forwards come championship time which I'm not a fan off.  Agree on Cunningham, would like to see him start next week ahead but not convinced he will.

galwayman

Quote from: Maroon Manc on February 05, 2018, 03:26:44 PM
Quote from: galwayman on February 05, 2018, 11:26:23 AM

Comer certainly plays too deep but can see why, he's one of our best players at making a turnover. Its hard to know what the right balance is in the forwards but at least we have plenty of options in that department with Daly, Burke & Cummins to return too but you can't help but feel he'll play Heaney in the forwards come championship time which I'm not a fan off.  Agree on Cunningham, would like to see him start next week ahead but not convinced he will.
No he will probably start him in the FBD final instead I would say.

rosnarun

Quote from: dublin7 on February 05, 2018, 01:35:02 PM

Mayo no 9 should have got a black card for running in on the kerry lad after he missed the penalty. Totally unnecessary and started a mini flare up. 

I could argue black cards all day long Kerry should Have got about 3 in the 1st half it was an obvious policy to pull down players who beat their man . cowardly refs have totally undermined the black card by not giving them or giving them at random.
if gibbon ran in as the 3rd man he should have got red as per the rules not black and I have no issue with that if it was consistently enforced .
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

seafoid

The odds have changed a good bit. Just goes to show how much the bookies know.

Kildare were 33/1 to win outright before a ball was kicked but are out to 100/1 now.
Galway went from 25/1 to 16/1.

The bottom 4 are rated as follows by oddschecker :

Monaghan   16      
Tyrone   33      
Donegal   50      
Kildare   100      

Monaghan  look overrated
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

tonto1888

Quote from: dublin7 on February 05, 2018, 01:35:02 PM

That has nothing to do with the incident Im talking about

Schkite

Quote from: seafoid on February 05, 2018, 04:08:48 PM
The odds have changed a good bit. Just goes to show how much the bookies know.

Kildare were 33/1 to win outright before a ball was kicked but are out to 100/1 now.
Galway went from 25/1 to 16/1.

The bottom 4 are rated as follows by oddschecker :

Monaghan   16      
Tyrone   33      
Donegal   50      
Kildare   100      

Monaghan  look overrated

Well we're the only one of those 4 teams to have points on the board yet, and that came in an away game. Ffs can we not have even a couple of days of feeling positive before the doom merchants consign us to relegation again?!

16/1 odds is hardly odds that suggest we have a good chance of winning the league, so I don't get the overrated thing.