The Cricket thread

Started by Gabriel_Hurl, March 05, 2007, 03:29:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

michaelg

Quote from: omaghjoe on July 26, 2019, 09:51:28 PM
Oi!
I was enjoying that Eamonn

Its a pity about the cricket but the thread sort of became like a cricket match anyway....... where the actual cricket is a sort of a continuous side show to other ad-hoc entertainment
Kinda showing your ignorance there.  Test cricket is interesting because of the changes and nuances that arise during a 5 (Or 4) day game.  Had it being a baking hot day as per Day 1 or 2 with conditions less suited to bowling, there is a good chance that Ireland would have pushed them close.

Eamonnca1

Quote from: michaelg on July 27, 2019, 12:09:53 AM
Oi!

Its a pity about the cricket but the thread sort of became like a cricket match anyway....... where the actual cricket is a sort of a continuous side show to other ad-hoc entertainment
Kinda showing your ignorance there.  Test cricket is interesting because of the changes and nuances that arise during a 5 (Or 4) day game.  Had it being a baking hot day as per Day 1 or 2 with conditions less suited to bowling, there is a good chance that Ireland would have pushed them close.

Oh I don't doubt that it's interesting to watch, but test cricket spectators pass the hours away getting steadily wasted.

Eamonnca1

Oi!

Ha! Sorry to interrupt. That sort of thing can be entertaining for a few posts, but if two contributors are having a ding-dong that goes on for more than a page or two I find it starts to get a bit tedious.

Orior

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on July 26, 2019, 06:43:19 PM
Quote from: gallsman on July 26, 2019, 02:27:37 PM
Quote from: Main Street on July 26, 2019, 02:10:26 PM
Quote from: gallsman on July 26, 2019, 02:04:03 PM
Quote from: Main Street on July 26, 2019, 02:01:13 PM
They stop playing now?
That was a bit of a downer.

So it's a 2 innings match and you have 4 days to play it?

The match is over and England have won. Continuing to pay would be a bit stupid.
Pointless, perhaps would be a more appropriate word,  but perhaps you think that people who don't know the rules of cricket are stupid.

The point is you do know the rules, you're acting the maggot on this thread for what I can only assume you consider "the craic". It's hilarious I'm sure.

Cut it out, the pair of you.

Ha ha! Yes Mum.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

omaghjoe

Quote from: michaelg on July 27, 2019, 12:09:53 AM
Oi!

Yeah yeah. sure sit in your reserved seat in the pavilion in your blazer and Panama hat having tea and crumpets marvelling and admonishing every other move.

I'll risk it on the grassy banks with a few tins hoping for a few sixes amid silly conversations of the chinaman going  down the gully.

Square Ball

Be some innings from Stokes of he can see this home
Hospitals are not equipped to treat stupid

Gabriel_Hurl

This is great cricket - Stokes has been unreal

Orior

Rich Ricci

That was incredible drama, they got a bit of luck but that was an incredible performance from Ben Stokes.

One of the most gutsy and ballsy sportsmen I've ever seen.

Orior

And a great boost for all the little englanders who want Brexit

gallsman

One of the reports I read yesterday evening said that the worst thing that could happen English test cricket would be a miraculous run chase to paper over the cracks of just how bad their test batting is at the minute.

Owen Brannigan

Quote from: gallsman on August 25, 2019, 07:03:20 PM
One of the reports I read yesterday evening said that the worst thing that could happen English test cricket would be a miraculous run chase to paper over the cracks of just how bad their test batting is at the minute.

+1

It distracts from the failure of the selectors to choose a team capable of test cricket by pulling in limited overs experts; the poor captaincy by Root whose first time as captain was as England captain, no experience; and the failure of the top order batsmen.

In the end, England won this game by having a West Indian bowler barely out of residency qualification bring fast bowling to the Aussies and a Kiwi who is probably the best all-rounder in the world.

Boycey

Both teams batting is pretty average in fairness, bar Smith obviously... Two good bowling attacks though. I'm heading to the first couple of days of the next test so was happy enough to see England keep the series alive

magpie seanie

Just incredible stuff. I pity people who don't follow or get this.

I don't think it papers over any cracks....it just wins the test. Everyone knows England have problems and can't rely on heroics like this again. Series really well set up now. Aussies will be sick.

magpie seanie

Quote from: Owen Brannigan on August 25, 2019, 08:52:05 PM

+1

It distracts from the failure of the selectors to choose a team capable of test cricket by pulling in limited overs experts; the poor captaincy by Root whose first time as captain was as England captain, no experience; and the failure of the top order batsmen.

In the end, England won this game by having a West Indian bowler barely out of residency qualification bring fast bowling to the Aussies and a Kiwi who is probably the best all-rounder in the world.

Ah come on. Moved to England when he was 12.