Dublin V Donegal

Started by Gareth, June 28, 2018, 07:15:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

trailer

Quote from: inthrough on June 28, 2018, 01:53:42 PM
Quote from: trailer on June 28, 2018, 01:44:45 PM
Quote from: inthrough on June 28, 2018, 01:42:23 PM
Quote from: Jinxy on June 28, 2018, 12:21:19 PM
But there isn't a 'neutral' round, that's the misconception.
Teams are deliberately being given the opportunity to play in Croke Park.
If there was an actual neutral round, other grounds around the country would be required.

What's the big deal about being given the "opportunity" to play in Croke Park? Is there gold dust sprinkled on the grass, does champagne flow in the jacks?

Very few of the teams playing in the Super 8's will be strangers in HQ. nobody comes up from the sticks & walks round Jones's Rd slack jawed & round eyed at the marvel that is Croke Park.

This is about fairness full stop. Kevin Heffernan alway said that Croke Park was worth about 3-4 points to Dublin, Donegal are unbeaten in Ballybofey since 2010 & Monaghan have a great record in Clones, so if the competition is to have credibility there should be a level playing field.

You know what you should do. Get a time-machine and go back to, not the last congress, but the one before that, when this was debated and agreed and tell the delegates to not vote this through.
I couldn't care less how Congress voted, this isn't right & if enough noise is made then there might be a change.

You should care. They make the decisions.

Owenmoresider

If there was an actual neutral round, other grounds around the country would be required.

What's the big deal about being given the "opportunity" to play in Croke Park? Is there gold dust sprinkled on the grass, does champagne flow in the jacks?

Very few of the teams playing in the Super 8's will be strangers in HQ. nobody comes up from the sticks & walks round Jones's Rd slack jawed & round eyed at the marvel that is Croke Park.

This is about fairness full stop. Kevin Heffernan alway said that Croke Park was worth about 3-4 points to Dublin, Donegal are unbeaten in Ballybofey since 2010 & Monaghan have a great record in Clones, so if the competition is to have credibility there should be a level playing field.

You know what you should do. Get a time-machine and go back to, not the last congress, but the one before that, when this was debated and agreed and tell the delegates to not vote this through.
And how many of us have a say in how congress votes? In reality now, not theory.

trailer

Quote from: Owenmoresider on June 28, 2018, 02:18:01 PM

And how many of us have a say in how congress votes? In reality now, not theory.

That's a different argument. My point is that this was agreed ages ago. It was all over the news, widely debated etc. Now coming into the start of the super 8s, some people who've been living in caves or on the moon, have woken up and God almighty, are outraged that Dublin have two home games. Come on now..

From the Bunker

Quote from: Hound on June 28, 2018, 02:15:08 PM
tis a bit odd that since the backdoor came in, everytime Dublin won Leinster, they've played QF, SF and All Ireland final in Croke Park, but it has taken the Super 8, when there's one QF game they'll be playing outside Croke Park, to get people exercised.

Games between provincial champions, excl a couple of replays, have always been played in Croke Park.

There will be some difference between the Provincial Champions Croke Park game and the Dublin Home Croke Park game. The former will be a double header where all four counties should have a good smattering of supporters. The latter will be a standalone game (or maybe they'll put some underage game on before it), but there'll likely be a much higher proportion of Dubs fans present (unless it's Mayo, those feckers will make it feel like a neutral venue, apart from FTB)

Yes, I won't be there, I've opened my eyes in the last couple of years! I know how corporate HQ work!  I've watched Corporate Dublin Destroy the game. They have destroyed the game in Leinster for nearly 2 decades now! and are heading for a decade of beating team after team at home in the AI series! Corporate GAA were not satisfied getting replayed games alone last year for Mayo supporters that they added 2 extra games to the fixture list this year. Corporate GAA realised that Dublin are so dominant now that they set up this money earner to have Dublin take turns beating all the main challengers in their home stadium. If anyone says Boo! We'll put out the usual spin that all teams want to play Dublin in Croke Park.

Maroon Manc

Whats the latest with the land that the Dublin County Board were trying to buy? Hound or any of the other Dublin posters know?

Dinny Breen

tis a bit odd that since the backdoor came in, everytime Dublin won Leinster, they've played QF, SF and All Ireland final in Croke Park, but it has taken the Super 8, when there's one QF game they'll be playing outside Croke Park, to get people exercised.

Games between provincial champions, excl a couple of replays, have always been played in Croke Park.

There will be some difference between the Provincial Champions Croke Park game and the Dublin Home Croke Park game. The former will be a double header where all four counties should have a good smattering of supporters. The latter will be a standalone game (or maybe they'll put some underage game on before it), but there'll likely be a much higher proportion of Dubs fans present (unless it's Mayo, those feckers will make it feel like a neutral venue, apart from FTB)

ahem!
#newbridgeornowhere

dlgael

This is the first year in my living memory since earning my own money that I'll renege on attending a Donegal game due to finances I've travelled the country supporting Donegal but at present this Super 8s propaganda machine is effectively a very obvious money spinning machine designed to bleed even more money out of the loyal intercounty supporter. The perverse thing is that I'm better off now than I ever was through the last 20 years of gainful employment but I feel that 2018 is a watershed moment in the era of fan exploitation.
I also think that while teams can topple one of the big 2 in a one off game, the best time in which to do so being the traditional QF when they've just escaped a drab no contest at provincial level, there is now little chance Dublin or Kerry will not make an AI SF. This neutral game v Dublin in Croke Park is another pill to swallow. So for the first time in living memory I find myself asking what else do I need to save my money for. It's a loaded deck and it costs a small fortune to enjoy it. Anyone else suffering a similar disilliusionment?

Syferus

Look, you're going to win what is quickly becoming a worthless bit of tin in September, let the rest of us discuss the decaying state of IC football because you clearly don't care one jot.

Hound

Quote from: dlgael on June 28, 2018, 03:02:50 PM
This is the first year in my living memory since earning my own money that I'll renege on attending a Donegal game due to finances I've travelled the country supporting Donegal but at present this Super 8s propaganda machine is effectively a very obvious money spinning machine designed to bleed even more money out of the loyal intercounty supporter. The perverse thing is that I'm better off now than I ever was through the last 20 years of gainful employment but I feel that 2018 is a watershed moment in the era of fan exploitation.
I also think that while teams can topple one of the big 2 in a one off game, the best time in which to do so being the traditional QF when they've just escaped a drab no contest at provincial level, there is now little chance Dublin or Kerry will not make an AI SF. This neutral game v Dublin in Croke Park is another pill to swallow. So for the first time in living memory I find myself asking what else do I need to save my money for. It's a loaded deck and it costs a small fortune to enjoy it. Anyone else suffering a similar disilliusionment?
Well your finances is your business and absolutely your choice what to spend it on.

Donegal have absolutely waltzed through Ulster and have played some very good exciting football. But I would say that under the old system, they would absolutely be the most vulnerable of all the provincial champions given you are playing a new system and have not been tested at all with Tyrone and Monaghan been taken out by others.

If Donegal lose to Dublin, and are good enough to win their next 2 games and then win a semi final in Croker, they would be far better equipped to take on Dublin than they are in a couple of weeks time. Now without McBrearty that's all probably very unlikely, but Dublin aren't the only one's who'll benefit from extra games or the ability to lose a match and still qualify.  From a pure Dublin winning the AI position, I would much prefer that Kerry and Galway were in the position of lose once and they're gone (and Mayo too if they make it).

From the Bunker

Quote from: dlgael on June 28, 2018, 03:02:50 PM

Yes, the super 8 is both financially and time consuming for Donegal supporters. It's all well for your average Dub sitting at home having all their games on tap!

As you say the Super 8 suits a big squad team. There is little or no chance of getting Dublin (or Kerry) off guard.

Keep your money in your back pocket and enjoy your free time in a better way. It's time for the GAA to know that Dublin are not the only supporters worth keeping.

From the Bunker

Quote from: Syferus on June 28, 2018, 03:07:26 PM

Look, you're going to win what is quickly becoming a worthless bit of tin in September, let the rest of us discuss the decaying state of IC football because you clearly don't care one jot.

The poor lad thinks that if a few extra supporters turn up cheering the opposite side the game automatically does not become a home game for Dublin in Croke Park. Oh the innocence - Just shows the Bubble that the average Dublin supporter is in.

CumminsCiderLarry

Dublin Dublin Dublin. Don't let them occupy your mind 24/7.It not healthy. Go out and enjoy that sun. Great weather in Dingle. Kerry will be bringing Sam home in September

From the Bunker

Quote from: CumminsCiderLarry on June 28, 2018, 06:35:52 PM
Dublin Dublin Dublin. Don't let them occupy your mind 24/7.It not healthy. Go out and enjoy that sun. Great weather in Dingle. Kerry will be bringing Sam home in September

Yeah, the sun is way more Healthy! CCL were you at the game last weekend?

The Hill is Blue

I strayed onto this thread thinking that it was about the upcoming match between Dublin and Donegal - the merits of the two teams and the prospects of each. But of course it's nothing more than the usual anti-Dublin rantfest that is consuming the gaaboard.
I remember Dublin City in the Rare Old Times http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9T7OaDDR7i8

Syferus

Quote from: The Hill is Blue on June 30, 2018, 04:15:19 PM
I strayed onto this thread thinking that it was about the upcoming match between Dublin and Donegal - the merits of the two teams and the prospects of each. But of course it's nothing more than the usual anti-Dublin rantfest that is consuming the gaaboard.

Go away. You have no intention of discussing Dublin's advantages in good faith so why are you even here? It's essentially became drive-by trolling and nothing more.