Kildare v Mayo AI Qualifier Round 3

Started by Dinny Breen, June 25, 2018, 09:32:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

seafoid

Was there any animosity outside the ground on Saturday evening ? 

weareros

Congrats to Kildare and to both teams for what was a thrilling, indeed epic, game of football. I'm sure the next few Connacht championships will prove that rumours of Mayo's demise are being greatly exaggerated and we could have done without the goltraigh music and images of despair from the Sunday Game. I do wonder if Mayo county board missed a beat by not putting out some sort of statement supporting home advantage for Kildare instead of letting yer man from the Mayo blog and the Mayo News podcast express a sentiment  which I believe was contrary to what normal Mayo supporters were thinking, and squarely put Mayo in there with the evil empire. Last thing a tired and injury stricken Mayo team needed in that white heat of battle was such a riled up Kildare team, although they were going to be riled up anyway. But some of that sting should have been dampened in advance. It looked for a while that Kildare had expended all their energy in that first twenty minutes or so when they went  7 points to 2 ahead, only to be reeled in rather quickly when Mayo got going. We had Senan Connell telling us on Sky at half time (if I heard correctly) that the most significant thing in the first half was Kildare's warm-up which was overly strenuous in the heat and they had drained themselves compared to Mayo's more gingerly efforts. In other words, Kildare were fecked. James Horan too was looking calm; then again he was calm and professional at the end too (unlike Martin "ah it's cruel, ah it's tragic" Carney). In the second half Kildare finally started doing what Tipperary somehow never thought to do the previous week when they ceded every kickout to Mayo. Kildare pushed up and while Aidan O'Shea in particular pulled off some marvelous catches, in a game of small margins all you needed was the odd ropey one from David Clark to swing things. Some marvelous points kicked by both teams, but it felt Mayo needed backs like Paddy Durkan and Eoin O'Donaghue to kick inspirational scores from well out, whereas Kildare were starting to cut through the Mayo backs and could have had a couple of goals. In the end Kildare deserved their victory, and kicking 21 points against that Mayo team (19 I believe from play) was some going. However, Mayo have NY to ease them into the Connacht championship next year, unlikely to be on the same side of the draw as Galway and I full expect Mayo in the Super 8s in 2019. Some of them may head off to the sunset and while they never secured that All-Ireland medal, they have been marvelous ambassadors for Connacht football and brought great joy to their supporters and great entertainment to the rest of us. Would love to see the back of them but know enough about Connacht football to know that's not how things work out.

Mayo4Sam

Quote from: seafoid on July 02, 2018, 01:42:43 PM
Was there any animosity outside the ground on Saturday evening ?

Somebody in Coffeys called Otemendi a **** for doing this
https://youtu.be/vt2xlLAsxRU

That was about the height of it

Any amount of tickets for sale before the game
Excuse me for talking while you're trying to interrupt me

joemamas

Quote from: Mayo4Sam on July 02, 2018, 11:46:55 AM
Always hard to take when you go out of the championship, its still a sad feeling this morning. Well done to Kildare, a great game and we can have absolutely no complaints, the better team won. I was hoping ye wouldn't draw Fermanagh, I'm not sure playing them will suit you but I hope ye win.
Myself and McDanger were standing beside Cribbens sister and you could see what it meant.

Even up to 70 minutes I expected us to pull it out of the bag, thats just what this team does. Looking at it now, how could we have won when so many under performed, they just looked like a tired team.
Clarke - way too many poor kickouts, i've been saying for while I think Hennelly, even with giving away a goal a game is a better option when you throw in his 45s
Higgins, Barrett, Boyler - all looked tired and got cleaned out - we missed harrison
Keegan - something was wrong there, illness of injury but just not leeroy
Durcan - absolutely outstanding, ridiculously so
Likewise Diarmuid - we've found his best position
Coen - actually provided something going forward, he needs to improve on this next year
Kevin Mc, DOC - both played ok but faded towards the back stretch
AOS - Was very good, won a savage amount of ball - was dead on his feet at the death - needs to be better managed in game, he can't do what he does for 70 minutes - rotate him into full forward or full back but somewhere to give him a breather
Andy/Cillian - nothing stuck, poor from both but they've stood up on other days. Cillian did kick a great point towards the end
James Durcan - poor but he's done well for his first year

Rochford - I've been a long time defender, I think he's done some great things for mayo but what the f**k was he at on Saturday evening, even if he has zero faith in his bench, all six subs need to be used, it was scorching. Andy was dead for 20 minutes, you could have taken off half the team. The biggest criticism has to be that he hasn't won a connacht title in three years. We've been the best team and lost of Galway three years running. Its hastened the end of this team.

Looking round at who can come in, would the likes of McGuinness take it? I don't think so, age profile is wrong.

So it leaves Sloane was the obvious option, he's a man that knows the youth in the county and would probably do a lot to bring in the All ireland U-21 winning team and this years batch of U-20s which would be no bad thing.

There is one other option. McStay bows out to Armagh and calls it a day. I'm not sure he'd even take the job considering how he was fucked over before but he'd do a great job.
I'm sorry to the other sound rossies but I made the mistake of revealing some of Syferus's comments here, what a pathetic excuse for a human being, I hope for your sake Roscommon get hammered next week, or if not next week that ye get embarrassed in Croke Park like ye did last year.

Its been a great few years, some of the most memorable days out. I don't think its finished but we've been a mess at underage for a few years so it'll take a lot to pull it together. But looking at the players under 30 you still have some of the finest talents in the country: Harrison, O'Donoghue, Keegan, Durcan, Diarmuid, Cillian, DOC, Kevin McL, AOS - thats some spine of a team. Give James Durcan and Hanley another year and I think they'll improve immensely.

Its not all doom and gloom.
Maigh Eo abĂș

I also have defended Rochford, Donie Buckley and McEntee, over three years tactically they have gotten a lot more right than wrong, we are the only team that came within a score of beating Dublin, the Connacht championship void, not their fault, 2016 a shitty kick out followed by a Galway goal, changed that game, 2017 and 2018, you cannot win playing for 3/4 of a game with 14. So they get a pass from me.

On the negative, putting on Loftus with two minutes left, not giving Regan. O Donohue  or even Hanley more time, questionable for sure,
that coupled with the fact that we really have the same forward line as we had three years ago.
I hope they all stay on and blood two or three per year for three more years. If the do that they will have had a successful tenure,
Most of us realize that there does appear to be a dearth of talent at the moment.

As I mentioned in an earlier post, these guys have given us some wonderful days over eight years 2011-2018.
the sacrifices they have made have been truly immense, they are all winners in my mind.
They have made a lot of us proud Mayo men especially with their displays in Croke Park.
Hopefully we have the brains, and common sense behind the scenes to build on this.

Mayo4Sam

Quote from: joemamas on July 02, 2018, 02:21:03 PM

I also have defended Rochford, Donie Buckley and McEntee, over three years tactically they have gotten a lot more right than wrong, we are the only team that came within a score of beating Dublin, the Connacht championship void, not their fault, 2016 a shitty kick out followed by a Galway goal, changed that game, 2017 and 2018, you cannot win playing for 3/4 of a game with 14. So they get a pass from me.

On the negative, putting on Loftus with two minutes left, not giving Regan. O Donohue  or even Hanley more time, questionable for sure,
that coupled with the fact that we really have the same forward line as we had three years ago.
I hope they all stay on and blood two or three per year for three more years. If the do that they will have had a successful tenure,
Most of us realize that there does appear to be a dearth of talent at the moment.

As I mentioned in an earlier post, these guys have given us some wonderful days over eight years 2011-2018.
the sacrifices they have made have been truly immense, they are all winners in my mind.
They have made a lot of us proud Mayo men especially with their displays in Croke Park.
Hopefully we have the brains, and common sense behind the scenes to build on this.

This has to come down to management too, we've lost three big games in two years due to lack of discipline, it didn't happen under Horan, Leeroys 2014 red against Kerry being the only big game where we played with 14 men as far as I can remember
Excuse me for talking while you're trying to interrupt me

Mayo4Sam14

Quote from: Mayo4Sam on July 02, 2018, 02:29:00 PM
Quote from: joemamas on July 02, 2018, 02:21:03 PM

This has to come down to management too, we've lost three big games in two years due to lack of discipline, it didn't happen under Horan, Leeroys 2014 red against Kerry being the only big game where we played with 14 men as far as I can remember

COC sent off late in the replay
You can forget about Sean Cavanagh as far as he's a man!

Paudi Meehan

Last year with Andy the exception Mayo haven't had the firepower to get the job done. With coc so frequently coming up short in the big games would it not make sense to bring him out the field?

Syferus

Quote from: Paudi Meehan on July 02, 2018, 05:33:00 PM

Last year with Andy the exception Mayo haven't had the firepower to get the job done. With coc so frequently coming up short in the big games would it not make sense to bring him out the field?

He's played out the field regularly over the years. He's just slow and can't manufacture a yard of space like Andy can to make up for that fact.

Paudi Meehan

coc never struck me as that slow - he's given various Galway markers serious bother in the last five years and i'd love to have him but he seems to have gone stale inside

macdanger2

Loftus & DOC off to the states for the summer

Maroon Manc

http://www.the42.ie/mayo-kildare-analysis-4107060-Jul2018/?utm_source=twitter_short

The stats from the game are in that link above.

Those kick out stats have surprised me, didn't think Mayo were that dominant on them; If before the game you'd shown me that stats I'd have said Mayo would have won comfortably.

Mayo4Sam14

Quote from: Maroon Manc on July 04, 2018, 09:59:22 AM
http://www.the42.ie/mayo-kildare-analysis-4107060-Jul2018/?utm_source=twitter_short

Those kick out stats have surprised me, didn't think Mayo were that dominant on them; If before the game you'd shown me that stats I'd have said Mayo would have won comfortably.

Lost a few key knockouts near the end though
You can forget about Sean Cavanagh as far as he's a man!

Blowitupref

Quote from: Maroon Manc on July 04, 2018, 09:59:22 AM

Not that surprising when you consider some of Mayos best players in that match was their midfielders. I was very surprised however at how loose marking Mayo was in defence. Good defenders Boyle,Keegan,Barrett,Higgins looked well off the pace.
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose