Tyrone County Football and Hurling

Started by Fear ón Srath Bán, April 01, 2007, 05:58:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Angelo

Not too many attacking options on the bench. Would hope that Kerr and McHugh get a chance and are just carrying niggles for today.

Good to see Bradley back though.
GAA FUNDING CHEATS CHEAT US ALL

Angelo

What's the deal with McShane? He was apparently at Healy Park today.

A farewell or has he had a change or heart?

omagh_gael

He was there, I saw him. Looked to be there as a regular punter.

Decent enough performance today. McCurry has started the year really well. His work rate was excellent today I thought, was always on the go. I thought RON had a deadly game, too. The vision and pass for our goal was deadly. Was very unlucky not to set up a goal chance a few minutes beforehand and his own lob of the keeper was inches away from going. In fact, it hit post bounced out and hit keepers head before just trickling wide. Mark Bradley was very lively when he came on, used ball really well and scored and absolute peach.

Last word for big Colly Cavanagh, the man is some warrior. Some great fetches around the middle as well as saving points over the crossbar at the back.

bigpackiechestout

Quote from: omagh_gael on January 26, 2020, 05:44:45 PM

Decent enough performance today. McCurry has started the year really well. His work rate was excellent today I thought, was always on the go. I thought RON had a deadly game, too. The vision and pass for our goal was deadly. Was very unlucky not to set up a goal chance a few minutes beforehand and his own lob of the keeper was inches away from going. In fact, it hit post bounced out and hit keepers head before just trickling wide. Mark Bradley was very lively when he came on, used ball really well and scored and absolute peach.

Last word for big Colly Cavanagh, the man is some warrior. Some great fetches around the middle as well as saving points over the crossbar at the back.

It was the same old RON yesterday. Deadly when he gets the ball in his hands in a bit of space and he picked out a couple of lovely passes. But he still has serious problems winning his own ball and lacks pace. There was a time in the first half when McCurry took a quick free and sent O'Neill through on goal, but he was too slow and his marker caught up and easily stripped him. I'd also be uncomfortable with him hitting our right footed frees going forward as I don't think he is good enough at them. Although I can't really think of any other options for these in the absence of McShane, unless you want to drag Morgan up for every one.

Frank Burns was very poor yesterday at full forward although he was admittedly up against a very good full back. Coney looked sharper when he came in and more comfortable in the role. I'm a bit surprised he wasn't given a game at full forward during the McKenna Cup

GetOverTheBar

Quote from: bigpackiechestout on January 27, 2020, 09:31:58 AM
Quote from: omagh_gael on January 26, 2020, 05:44:45 PM

It was the same old RON yesterday. Deadly when he gets the ball in his hands in a bit of space and he picked out a couple of lovely passes. But he still has serious problems winning his own ball and lacks pace. There was a time in the first half when McCurry took a quick free and sent O'Neill through on goal, but he was too slow and his marker caught up and easily stripped him. I'd also be uncomfortable with him hitting our right footed frees going forward as I don't think he is good enough at them. Although I can't really think of any other options for these in the absence of McShane, unless you want to drag Morgan up for every one.

Frank Burns was very poor yesterday at full forward although he was admittedly up against a very good full back. Coney looked sharper when he came in and more comfortable in the role. I'm a bit surprised he wasn't given a game at full forward during the McKenna Cup

The woman beside me in the crowd reckoned he was crap and if he's not made it now, he never will.....harsh enough I thought.

Hard to judge coming into the game like that, Kyle can get on a ball and isn't afraid to take a shot which looked to be his biggest strength and weakness in his cameo.

skeog

Meath seriously weak team imo.Next week in Blaney be feisty game.Hope To see PH back be needed.

inroundthesquare

Tyrone worked a lot harder second half - looked very open early on. Done well throughout the game on the Meath kickout, although they ended up with a forward in goals so that may say more about how poor they were. Colm Cavanagh as mentioned was immense winning primary ball in the second half particularly. McCurry again was superb. Liam Rafferty I thought had a very good game, 2 points, a couple of times he looked to be nearly caught in possession but had the speed and footwork to break away.
Tyrone really should have put up 1-17 or 1-18 with the amount of handy enough chances missed 2nd half.
The remarks above about Rony O'Neill were spot on.

tyroneman

There are 2 ways to look at this season

1. We don't have a marquee forward and will struggle to beat the big teams come business end of Championship - especially since we had probably the best (performing) full forward in Ireland last year and still couldn't put away Kerry from a commanding ht position.

2. We got to a final without a marquee forward in 2018 and maybe we have someone in the ranks ready to have a breakout year (no-one would have foreseen the 2019 McShane had to be fair).

Head says (1), Heart says (2).......it's going to be hard but who knows...there is always hope....

Just a shame we can't attack 2020 with a full hand.... and the option of a FF line composed of Bradley, McShane and Harte / Mattie, which could cause real damage.

GetOverTheBar

Quote from: tyroneman on January 28, 2020, 12:43:13 PM
There are 2 ways to look at this season

1. We don't have a marquee forward and will struggle to beat the big teams come business end of Championship - especially since we had probably the best (performing) full forward in Ireland last year and still couldn't put away Kerry from a commanding ht position.

2. We got to a final without a marquee forward in 2018 and maybe we have someone in the ranks ready to have a breakout year (no-one would have foreseen the 2019 McShane had to be fair).

Head says (1), Heart says (2).......it's going to be hard but who knows...there is always hope....

Just a shame we can't attack 2020 with a full hand.... and the option of a FF line composed of Bradley, McShane and Harte / Mattie, which could cause real damage.

End result is the same, Super 8s....debate if we can get out of it or not, in the end lose to first team played after that if we do progress.

We just aren't at the level. McShane possibly could have tipped balance considering new rules but from what I hear, he's signed already anyway.

inroundthesquare

Same starting 15 as last week.

No sign of Richie Donnelly yet this year - he injured?

skeog

Yes injured.Cathal buying short sleeved tops today looks like he is going.

southtyronegael

Quote from: skeog on February 01, 2020, 05:53:11 PM
Yes injured.Cathal buying short sleeved tops today looks like he is going.
yeah it's going to be warm in blaney tomorrow.lol

An Watcher

Anyone else feel the entire tyrone thing has gone very stale and has been for the last few years?  I'm not criticising anyone but the success in the noughties and lack of now has contributed.

Angelo

Quote from: An Watcher on February 02, 2020, 06:14:11 AM
Anyone else feel the entire tyrone thing has gone very stale and has been for the last few years?  I'm not criticising anyone but the success in the noughties and lack of now has contributed.

It's gaelic football in general. The dominance of Dublin has ended the romance of intercounty football in the vast majority of counties.

bannside

Jesus wept! Two years ago youse gave a good account of yourselves against Dublin in an All Ireland final. Now you're practically writing a resignation letter that youse will never be able to compete with them again! Get yourself off your keypad and away to support your team today in division one.