26 County General Election 2020

Started by Snapchap, January 09, 2020, 06:52:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

What will be makeup of the next government?

FF/SD/Lab/Green
FG/SD/Lab/Green
FG/FF
FF/Green
FG/Independents
FG/Independents
FG/Green
FF/SF
FF/Green/Independents
FF Minority
FG Minority
FG/SF
FF/Lab/Green
FF/Lab
FF/Lab/Green/Independents

Rossfan

4 candidates proposed for Taoiseach today.
All defeated.
Real talking has to start now.
FF/FG/Greens (84 ) or
SF/Lefties/Greens (66) plus 13  various Independents .
Hmmm.....
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

AFM

Mr Varadkar tendered his resignation as Taoiseach to President Michael D Higgins last night, but will continue in the role in a caretaker capacity.

https://www.rte.ie/news/politics/2020/0221/1116630-dail-taoiseach/

Joeythelips

Quote from: Rossfan on February 20, 2020, 11:51:32 PM
4 candidates proposed for Taoiseach today.
All defeated.
Real talking has to start now.
FF/FG/Greens (84 ) or
SF/Lefties/Greens (66) plus 13  various Independents .
Hmmm.....

What happens if none of these can be agreed upon?

ardtole

Another election I presume. More than likely fg and ff will do a deal. If there was another election sf would stand more candidates and more than likely be the largest party.

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

Quote from: ardtole on February 21, 2020, 08:40:05 AM
Another election I presume. More than likely fg and ff will do a deal. If there was another election sf would stand more candidates and more than likely be the largest party.

PBP, Independents and Greens would lose seats, there would be no loyalty to the "left"

Rossfan

If another election happens and the Shinners run more than 1 candidate in those places they got more than 1 quota and all their new voters stick with them -
They will likely wipe out the PBPs except Boyd Barrett, some SDp and some leftish Independents.
Of course splitting their own vote could in many instances leave them losing out in some places while in others the 2 SF candidates could be the last 2 standing and only 1 seat left to fill.
Donegal 2.75 quotas, Louth 2.7  - would they run a 3rd candidate?
Waterford  and Dublin SC 2 Quotas
Dublin Bay North, Dublin Central, Dublin NW, Dublin SW, c1.75 Quotas.
Wicklow, Fingal and Wicklow c1.5 Quotas.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

ardtole

I couldn't see them running 3 candidates in any constituency, after what happened in Donegal at the previous election. There are certainly constituencies where they could field a second candidate, but likely at the expense of other left leaning parties and independents, rather than ff or fg.

magpie seanie

No comments on here about the Garda Commissioners scandalous comments today? We're not a functioning democracy if we accept that. It's absolutely mental and no one is talking about it!

Lar Naparka

Quote from: magpie seanie on February 21, 2020, 10:39:56 PM
No comments on here about the Garda Commissioners scandalous comments today? We're not a functioning democracy if we accept that. It's absolutely mental and no one is talking about it!
??
Dunno seanie, what did the hoor say anyway?
I was out of town all day so I haven't been keeping in touch with current affairs.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

Farrandeelin

Quote from: Lar Naparka on February 21, 2020, 11:56:13 PM
Quote from: magpie seanie on February 21, 2020, 10:39:56 PM
??
Dunno seanie, what did the hoor say anyway?
I was out of town all day so I haven't been keeping in touch with current affairs.
Reckons the Provos are pulling the strings behind the scenes. As seanie says they're scandalous. I've never read/heard any previous Garda Commisioner come out and say that after an election. None of whom were old guard RUC men either.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

ardtole

It was obvious he was prompted by Varadkar/Martin, reeks of desperation.

Angelo

Quote from: Fear Bun Na Sceilpe on February 18, 2020, 03:27:21 PM
Quote from: Snapchap on February 18, 2020, 02:30:59 PM
Quote from: Fear Bun Na Sceilpe on February 18, 2020, 01:57:22 PM
I don't care what you were talking about earlier, i'm talking about the economy.
As am I. It was you who brought up the topic. You asid the poor economy was SF's fault. I'm (still) trying to get you to explain how you came to that conclusion.

So what is the point of SF in the North if we follow your logic, you seem to making a very strong argument for going to Westminster to wield some power there or agreeing direct rule.
No I advocate Irish reunification. Partition will always be economically bad for Ireland. Borders by their very nature are bad for business.

Both them and the DUP have never produced any financial or strategic plan to work with what they have. The clear east/west divide in the NI has never been addressed-are they out there encouraging inward manufacturing? The only reason they are back in Stormont is because they lost a shit load of votes and the nurses went on strike. Out of their depth, hand out to the Brits
Of course they produce spending plans. They're called budgets and the next one will be produced in around 3 weeks time. But all that is just a case of distributing the money handed over from westminster. You may recall all parties recently complaining that they did not get what they were expecting upon restoration of the assembly? So, again given that they cannot make any fiscal adjustments, AGAIN I find myself asking you how you figure that Sinn Féin are the ones responsible for the strength of the economy when all they, alongside the other executive ministers, can only distribute what they are given and given that the Department of the Economy has only ever been held by the DUP or UUP.

You have contradicted yourself a number of times and have basically said SF are powerless to make any economic improvements in NI along with their partners in crime(Dup). So direct rule it is, or do a John Hume and actually get out to the US and get some industry here(Dupont, Seagate etc)

Remind us how Dupont went again?

And you talk about people contradicting themselves? Jesus f**king Christ.
GAA FUNDING CHEATS CHEAT US ALL

bannside

Yea sure,  John Hume knew Du Pont would end up like that! Wise up!

balladmaker

Quote from: ardtole on February 22, 2020, 12:37:53 AM

+1 the timing of his statement is no coincidence.  Political interference by a Gardai Commissioner is surely unacceptable.

magpie seanie

Quote from: balladmaker on February 22, 2020, 12:10:27 PM
Quote from: ardtole on February 22, 2020, 12:37:53 AM

+1 the timing of his statement is no coincidence.  Political interference by a Gardai Commissioner is surely unacceptable.

Varadkar is his boss (Minister for Defence). Harris was number 2 in the PSNI in 2015 when the report he refers to came out. His comments were wrong on so many levels it's unreal. I feel the constant attacks on SF by people who have ruined the country and shown a callous disregard for people whether it be housing, homelessness, healthcare etc are counter productive anyway at this point. They're only playing to their own crowd to try and legitimise a FF/FG coalition. Many within those parties realise it will be the beginning of the end for one of the two if they go into coalition.