Nurses Strike

Started by blast05, April 03, 2007, 09:51:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dubnut

Working in A&E as a career choice then moaning that they want to do less work for more money having signed up to benchmarking = Not living in the real world.

Gnevin

Quote from: lynchbhoy on April 04, 2007, 10:20:05 AM

Its a skilled job,
why should they get paid less than a lot of these wet behind the ears 'nothing careers' (marketing/sales/advertising/insurance etc etc etc)

I've just left college and am in a skilled job and i'd love to be on the starting wage nurses are on or should we just give them 50k out of the gate because you can point to someone else earning more?
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

magpie seanie

They'll all have a well paying job in ten years time.

Their union fucked up here. The govt would have conceded the 35 hour week if they stuck to benchmarking. Asking for the extra 10% is just greedy and wrong.

dubnut

f**k them, if theres anything wrong with me I'll fix meself  8)

lynchbhoy

Quote from: Gnevin on April 04, 2007, 10:50:52 AM
Quote from: lynchbhoy on April 04, 2007, 10:20:05 AM
Its a skilled job,
why should they get paid less than a lot of these wet behind the ears 'nothing careers' (marketing/sales/advertising/insurance etc etc etc)
I've just left college and am in a skilled job and i'd love to be on the starting wage nurses are on or should we just give them 50k out of the gate because you can point to someone else earning more?
not really arguing with you
but skilled jobs and skilled jobs that health and lives are dependant on...
If I was a patient, I'd know who I'd want to get paid more and ensure they are not tired from over work

I've a 'skilled job, have a good bit of experience
but does my job/role professionalism make a difference - in an economic perspective- then probably
in relation to lives - well not directly
most of us are involved in making money
yes that is the cornerstone for progression and sustained good times here in Ireland

but it means nothing when you talk about health. The most important asset any single person can posess.

lynchbhoy

Quote from: blast05 on April 04, 2007, 10:31:04 AM
QuoteFG and co have a history of f**king up the economy.
Not really a thread to be starting a political debate on ... BUT ... FF in 1977 for making a balls of the economy. Ultimately it was the lowering of corporation tax (FG) that kicked off the boom. There was so much money over the last 10 years it was impossible to fcuk it up. The challenge for managing the economy starts now.
As a matter of interest, what exactly do you think the nurses are entitled to, i.e.: in terms of pay rise and reduced week ? Is it ok to give them this at the expenses of social partnership, inflation. One certain way to fcuk up the economy is give in to the nurses
QuoteI don't know where this average salary figure is calculated from blast
The 56K figure has been mentioned on numerous debates, interviews, etc on radio and TV over the last few days and has never been disputed by any of the nurses representatives
just imo FG seem to fcuk things up in efforts to oppose what FF prev did with sometimes suicidal results.

No I dont agree that the nurses should get much more than they are on. I would grant them the 35 hour week (not that they would do 35 hours- they would do more and bank the overtime)

bingobus

Whoever said that they earn 56k on average is talking pure horseshit. My wife is a nurse and while not a ward sister is quite senior on her ward with few above her but plenty below. On that basis she would be well paid for a Nurse and isn't near 56k even with OT and extra's. (I have even checked her payslips to ensure she's not pulling the wool over my eyes  ;) )

I have asked her the reason for the "strike" as they have signed up to the benchmarking. She said that they asked for a number of factors under the benchmarking i.e 35 week and that they were assured it would happen. It hasn't but all around them have got improved conditions. For example the Admin staff in the hospitals and health boards are on flexable time i.e start at any time between 8am and 10.30 and finish accordingly. They also work 35 hour weeks and are equally well paid. As we all know they are constantly been cut on staff numbers and while there is  jobs available there is no-one willing to take them. They are better treated and paid in private health care clinics/hospitals. Only for Asian and african nurses there would be a major problem in the health sector, far greater than at present. They only have to look above them and see well paid fat cats in offices miles away from the wards who constantly impose new regulations and paperwork on them...while they know they have a responsibility to adhere to these regulations they are been forced to carry out duties which are outside their remit i.e book an ambulance to take an old person back home or to another hospital. Surely this should be an admin function and let the nurse..well nurse.

I have seen her come home in pieces after a days lifting, horsing and dragging starting at 7.30am finishing at 8.30pm and back the next day. She often doesn't get lunch as they have no cover but she gets on with it. It sher job and she gets on with it and if they feel collectively that they deserve more than who are we as outsiders to question it.

turk

well articulated bingobus!

I remember a girl who decided to leave nursing and took a short course doing a teaching assistant's job. She went for the interview in the school and the principal said to her that it would be a big change from the nursing and she wouldn't be sitting about with her knitting like in the hospital!!

dubnut

Quote from: bingobus on April 04, 2007, 11:35:29 AM
if they feel collectively that they deserve more than who are we as outsiders to question it.

Who are we as taxpayers to question public service workers pay?
The answer is in the question.  ;)

bingobus

Quote from: dubnut on April 04, 2007, 12:04:07 PM
if they feel collectively that they deserve more than who are we as outsiders to question it.

If we as Tax payers did question public service workers pay then there would a massive increase in unemployment.

lynchbhoy

Quote from: dubnut on April 04, 2007, 12:04:07 PM

I'd agree with that for some jobs
but I think Nurses (and possibly others) have a tough job - far tougher then most realise , Bingobus has alluded to a few of the hard aspects of the job alright.
I certainly dont know where this average pay is coming from...it must include the wages of admin/management
I know the sister is high enough up in her hospital, but sincerely doubt she is getting that band of pay

dubnut

I think thats part of the problem though, if they are on less than 56K why dont they say so?

This is a big reason for the lack of sympathy towards them

Longfordian

My girlfriend is a nurse ...she was in the public sector , but has since moved to a private hospital .
She has a 4 year degree in nursing and started on a basic of 31k and is now on about 33k , she is now after 2 years in her present role a senior nurse on her ward and performs the role of a junior doctor, assisting consultants !. She is on her feet for 13 hours a day and is close to the point of being physically sick some days with sheer exhaustion.
She suffers from backpain because the proper lifting mechanisms were not present in her last job for moving patients , she has been physically assaulted on two occassions in A+E trying to treat people and do her job .
She has also witnessed some of the most hoffific injuries from RTA's , and on more than one occassion she has watched people die while being treated in front of her.
If they are looking for a 10% payrise and a 35 hour week , I fully support them

Gnevin

I have asked her the reason for the "strike" as they have signed up to the benchmarking. She said that they asked for a number of factors under the benchmarking i.e 35

So why the need to demand a other 10%?
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

lynchbhoy

Quote from: Gnevin on April 04, 2007, 12:52:42 PM

I have asked her the reason for the "strike" as they have signed up to the benchmarking. She said that they asked for a number of factors under the benchmarking i.e 35

So why the need to demand a other 10%?
maybe chancing their arms or a negotiating tactic

I know my sister told me that the money was not the issue for her either
its the 35 hour week and better working conditions (as in 2 nurses trying to do the job of 3, more security in A&E etc, proper lifting machines etc etc etc)