Agree Redhand
A slow opening is required
But also some common sense of what to open

themac_23

Quote from: Smurfy123 on March 05, 2021, 07:42:30 AM
Agree Redhand
A slow opening is required
But also some common sense of what to open

Yeah, there's a massive over reaction that when you say start easing restrictions now people just shout ah so you just want us to let it rip??

For example, the weather is changing so more people are gonna be spending time outside so they've been going to hotspots (Newcastle at the weekend there) can't blame people for being wanting to be out and about. So why not get outdoor places open like streamvale farm, the zoo etc. Gets people outside in a controlled environment and with reduced numbers. If you open the outdoor sports as well then straight away you're gonna take a lot of the footfall from the beauty spots away still with minimal risk. To me it's lazy politics we are seeing here at the min

imtommygunn

I would agree Mac.  One problem is definitely with so little open everyone funnels to a small number of places.

themac_23

Quote from: imtommygunn on March 05, 2021, 08:53:39 AM
I would agree Mac.  One problem is definitely with so little open everyone funnels to a small number of places.

Yeah thats what I was thinking, if everything is closed people will flock to where they can, open more outdoor things and people will be more spread out. its something that could easily be done now

imtommygunn

If you look at your example of Newcastle last year there were spikes there when very little was open so people flocked there. At present that looks like something that could repeat itself.

Things should be relaxed a bit - not that much but a bit. Outdoor sports, arguably things like hairdressers (ok I am biased as people in my house really need a haircut), maybe gyms I think should move a bit. It has to be done very carefully. (It does bug me that small businesses make huge efforts which hairdressers and gyms would yet you go into Tesco's and they have at best a few half used things of sanitiser and you couldn't distance if you tried).

TabClear

Quote from: imtommygunn on March 05, 2021, 09:25:44 AM
If you look at your example of Newcastle last year there were spikes there when very little was open so people flocked there. At present that looks like something that could repeat itself.

Things should be relaxed a bit - not that much but a bit. Outdoor sports, arguably things like hairdressers (ok I am biased as people in my house really need a haircut), maybe gyms I think should move a bit. It has to be done very carefully. (It does bug me that small businesses make huge efforts which hairdressers and gyms would yet you go into Tesco's and they have at best a few half used things of sanitiser and you couldn't distance if you tried).

My wife would be good friends with a couple of hairdressers and I think that is their major bug bear, they spent a not insignificant amount of money last year on partitions, new waiting areas etc etc and are just in limbo now.

TabClear

As far as outdoor sports go there is no reason why that should not be started again, especially the kids. If tey are going to be together at school then having them out running about on a pitch cannot be any worse, Keep the rules like no changing rooms etc as it will have minimal impact below U16 anyway. I know there will be the issue with parents congrgating while watching but that is up to the individual to maintain distancing

J70

Quote from: themac_23 on March 04, 2021, 04:55:25 PM
Got my first jab there, got it in the health centre. Was well run, like clockwork was in and out in 2 mins then wait in the car for 15 and away. Really good to see so many people getting done

Got mine too, albeit in NYC.

Cuomo is in the shit, but whatever else may be going on, NY state have a seriously impressive set-up at the Javitts Center in Manhattan. Industrial scale stuff. I'd say there were nearly ten people per minute being processed when I was there. And that included diverting those with comorbidities for assessment prior to approving them to receive the vaccine.

They're doing Pfizer during the day, and just opened overnight hours for the J&J.

Similar set-up at Yankee Stadium.

johnnycool

Interesting viewing especially if you follow banking, quantitative easing and so on..

https://youtu.be/d3GEno9qFtA

imtommygunn

Numbers good again today. 242 inpatients. Massive drop with less than a handful admitted again.

johnnycool

Quote from: imtommygunn on March 05, 2021, 02:14:38 PM
Numbers good again today. 242 inpatients. Massive drop with less than a handful admitted again.

Might hit phase two of the relaxations quicker than expected but expect ballbags to do ballbag things on St Patricks day..

thewobbler

Quote from: johnnycool on March 05, 2021, 02:15:58 PM

Might hit phase two of the relaxations quicker than expected but expect ballbags to do ballbag things on St Patricks day..

I don't know. Unless it's a sunny day then I can't see too many getting excited about it and it help that it's midweek. The holylands will have an underground gathering of sorts for sure but beyond that I can't see too much happening.

Easter Sunday and the 4 day weekend is much more likely for families mingling.

imtommygunn

At current rate there will be very few in hospital in a couple of weeks. Yeah st Patrick's day will have "breaches". Tbh I don't think whether there's a lockdown or not would impact the behaviour of people like that anyway.

Also as I said I do wonder if with so little being opened people are being funnelled to the very few open spaces. (Then people complain but when you have small kids and dogs what the hell are you meant to do)

GetOverTheBar

Quote from: imtommygunn on March 05, 2021, 02:39:35 PM

At current rate there will be very few in hospital in a couple of weeks. Yeah st Patrick's day will have "breaches". Tbh I don't think whether there's a lockdown or not would impact the behaviour of people like that anyway.

Also as I said I do wonder if with so little being opened people are being funnelled to the very few open spaces. (Then people complain but when you have small kids and dogs what the hell are you meant to do)

I actually was in it, believe it or not there a few weekends ago, serious cars in it for a place I thought would be empty. So I take it they've been drinking away in it all throughout anyway. Wouldn't expect St Patricks Day would offer the traditional mess with all the fines etc that come with covid breaches and the Police will be mad looking to nail anyone stupid enough to draw attention to themselves. I was in it about midday to be fair and it was very quiet, despite the mass of cars.

On the flip side, these ones don't really care about the pandemic.....yeah I know they should, but no point sticking the head in the sand either. The way they see it, they are paying 200 quid odd a month for their house, they will be getting their use out of it. As always....it probably will be the ones that make their way down for the day rather than the ones actually there week to week.

themac_23

I detest the tories with every part of me, and Matt Hancocks crocodile tears earlier in the year really pissed me off, but just watching his briefing here, Robin Swann should have the notepad out. he shows the stats and explains them, its showing the numbers falling off the cliff like I said, by looking at the data the other day it was glaringly obvious to me with zero medical background that the vaccine is smashing Covid. Good to see Matt Hancock come out and say it, really upbeat from him. Positivity gives people a lift. I have no horse in the race in England, but even listening to MH I felt positive and lifted my mood. Hopefully our govt can take some pointers from this tonight. Makes so much sense, restrictions being replaced with vaccines and testing.