Tyrone County Football and Hurling

Started by Fear ón Srath Bán, April 01, 2007, 05:58:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

redhandefender

People slagging Coly Cav in previous messages should delete themselves now!

I slated mickey after the monaghan game but hats off tyrone done something yesterday i haven't seen in a long time with that comeback. Young lads seem to really be growing in confidence and have a steel about them.

Is it the case that mickeys tactic is to hold back and stay in the game then unleash hell in the second half? it must be. If so then mc  geary as ahrd on him as it is is the key to that.

For me brennan has to start though.

Well done to them all and I think we will scrape past monaghan in the semi

Tyrone Gaa

I said at half time yesterday.  Mickey has 35mins to save his job or I would have expected him to follow Eamon Fitzmaurice and stand down.  I wanted a change at the top but always vowed to follow team through thick and thin then review at the end of the year.  The substitutions in the 2nd half changed the game. 

There is still an expectation to beat Monaghan.  Tyrone have some opportunity here. Then against Dublin we will be up against it 70 minutes we will require the run of the ball. (This Dublin team are the best I've ever seen.)

Colly Cav is a class act, always has been.  Delighted with the 2nd half yesterday. 

Roll on next Sunday
Living the dream!!!

sam03/05

What ever you say about him - it certainly was a great tactical performance yesterday

Under Lights

Quote from: southtyronegael on August 06, 2018, 10:36:45 AM
Quote from: Under Lights on August 06, 2018, 10:06:31 AM
Quote from: southtyronegael on August 06, 2018, 09:20:55 AM
lads lets be honest about it. harte has stumbled through this championship. the players deserve all the credit and in reality its the great work done by peter donnelly that has us in the semi. we still dont have a single trophy so show for our efforts this year but at least we are in with a chance of the big one. i have every faith that we have the players to do it. thought we were bang average yesterday though until mickeys favourite player lee brennan came on and totally changed the game. also special mention to colly cavanagh, amazing performance.

Did MH not get it spot on with the timing of the subs that won us the game?

Great tactical performance from MH yesterday it has to be said.
great tactical performance from mh because he threw on a few subs in a game we were playing average in and losing by 4 points? Any half ass manager would do the same. Some people really will bend over backwards to praise harte. IL never be one of them!

Was it not more that he picked a team and set up to stay in touching distance and then unleash the calavry at the right time to rack up 2-17?

BennyHarp

Quote from: Under Lights on August 06, 2018, 11:52:04 AM
Quote from: southtyronegael on August 06, 2018, 10:36:45 AM
Quote from: Under Lights on August 06, 2018, 10:06:31 AM
Quote from: southtyronegael on August 06, 2018, 09:20:55 AM
lads lets be honest about it. harte has stumbled through this championship. the players deserve all the credit and in reality its the great work done by peter donnelly that has us in the semi. we still dont have a single trophy so show for our efforts this year but at least we are in with a chance of the big one. i have every faith that we have the players to do it. thought we were bang average yesterday though until mickeys favourite player lee brennan came on and totally changed the game. also special mention to colly cavanagh, amazing performance.

Did MH not get it spot on with the timing of the subs that won us the game?

Great tactical performance from MH yesterday it has to be said.
great tactical performance from mh because he threw on a few subs in a game we were playing average in and losing by 4 points? Any half ass manager would do the same. Some people really will bend over backwards to praise harte. IL never be one of them!

Was it not more that he picked a team and set up to stay in touching distance and then unleash the calavry at the right time to rack up 2-17?

Tyrone's full on high pressure running style can't be maintained for 70 mins, so your absolutely right. Absorb pressure for 45 mins, keep up in touch and let rip. Donegal had no answer when Tyrone cranked up the pressure, Dublin very nearly didn't cope either. The key is having your best 15 on the pitch for the final 20/25 mins.
That was never a square ball!!

southtyronegael

donegal were prob the better team for 60 mins yesterday but couldnt sustain the fitness levels required. we are prob 2 or 3 yrs ahead of them in terms of conditioning so again well done to peter donnelly, the real star on the sidelines yesterday.

quit yo jibbajabba

Under Lights

Quote from: southtyronegael on August 06, 2018, 12:18:43 PM
donegal were prob the better team for 60 mins yesterday but couldnt sustain the fitness levels required. we are prob 2 or 3 yrs ahead of them in terms of conditioning so again well done to peter donnelly, the real star on the sidelines yesterday.

He almost caught a couple of kickouts too.

southtyronegael

Quote from: quit yo jibbajabba on August 06, 2018, 12:21:26 PM
no they weren't. don't talk shite
well they were still ahead on 60 mins so...

southtyronegael

Quote from: Under Lights on August 06, 2018, 12:23:43 PM

He almost caught a couple of kickouts too.
just a good all rounder and a great fella. and to think some people were blaming him for the dublin defeat last year.

blewuporstuffed

Quote from: redhandefender on August 06, 2018, 11:19:23 AM
People slagging Coly Cav in previous messages should delete themselves now!

I slated mickey after the monaghan game but hats off tyrone done something yesterday i haven't seen in a long time with that comeback. Young lads seem to really be growing in confidence and have a steel about them.

Is it the case that mickeys tactic is to hold back and stay in the game then unleash hell in the second half? it must be. If so then mc  geary as ahrd on him as it is is the key to that.

For me brennan has to start though.

Well done to them all and I think we will scrape past monaghan in the semi

I actually think there isa stronger case for McGeary to start with Brennan coming off the bench again.
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either

tyrone08

People seem to be overlooking the fact that Tyrone gift wrapped the goal for Donegal. Tyrone were far the better team up until the 32 min or so. Only for poor shooting (again) they would have been 3-4 points up at half time. Sums up Donegal's season- people thinking they are better than the actually are. Donegal have the making of a very good side but facts are they got relegated from Div 1, won the easiest ulster for years and lost a 4 point lead in the 2nd half against Tyrone. Donegal will be a better side next year I reckon but they have been a bit overhyped this year.

bigtogs

Lee Brennan and Mark Bradley played v Monaghan first round of ulster they were poor enough K McGeary played last 25 will also poor enough..... i think v DUBLIN we stumbled across something with 5 minutes to go when we where 7 behind out off pure necessity off giving it a lash.... but who cares how we got it as long as it happens.... yesterday for 45 minutes it was same old crap....then we go 4/5 behind game going away from us then bang we unleashed the hounds again same result dominate the game from then on...

The Trap

Here is where I am now. Would have been very disappointing to get beaten by a Donegal team minus McBrearty and for 50 mins Tyrone did not play very well. The last 20 mins were very good and it was a comfortable win in the end. I do believe that the plan was to have a strong finish so credit the management for that.
The semi final is a massive opportunity for both counties and if they were not playing Tyrone you would love Monaghan to reach a final. They are a good side and in the likes of Beggan, McManus, Darren Hughes, Colin Walshe and Karl O'Connell have players who are more than a match for Tyrone. Do they have enough players to cope with Tyrone in the last 20 mins? I think they have an astute management and will have a plan in place.
I think both teams will be better than they were in May. Arguably Monaghan have been better in the super 8's, beating a good Kildare team, drawing with Kerry after being the better team and convincingly putting a Galway side (were they trying) away in Salthill. Walshe is in much better form than in May, McManus too and they have good momentum. They really play as a team and will match Tyrone for workrate.
Tyrone hammered Roscommon (who didn't), played a good game against Dublin and finished very strongly yesterday. Big positives were the form of main men like Harte, Cavanagh and Donnelly but Sludden and McAliskey were poor. Will need them to bounce back to form next week.
It is easy to say that Tyrone always beat Monaghan at this stage or that they will have a mental advantage given the May game but I really think this game could go either way. If Monaghan get into a similar position to Donegal yesterday i.e. 4 up with 20 to go, I think Tyrone will find it much more difficult to turn it around. Monaghan have a better defensive set up and are good on the counter attack.
If Tyrone are 2 or 3 ahead with 20 to go I think they will go and win a bit like yesterday. So the question for me is, what team do we think Tyrone will start to ensure that they are in a good position with 20 to go?

Jayop

Donegal were the best team for about 15 minutes out of the 85 minutes played.