Battle of the Boyne - Meath Vs Louth - Leinster Final 11/7/2010

Started by thejuice, June 29, 2010, 06:21:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GAA_Punter

Sorry lads 10,000 people pressing refresh at the same time does not help

Maguire01

Quote from: demusicman on July 13, 2010, 10:13:08 PM
The referee has indicated in his report that he blew the whistle for a penalty but changed his mind and awarded the goal by Joe Sheridan when he saw that the ball had crossed the line.
That does put a new angle on things. Essentially he gave Meath the advantage when they played on, hence instructing the umpire to raise the flag. It's still a mess, but it might explain his actions.

Louth Exile

Quote from: Maguire01 on July 13, 2010, 10:17:00 PM
The referee has indicated in his report that he blew the whistle for a penalty but changed his mind and awarded the goal by Joe Sheridan when he saw that the ball had crossed the line.
That does put a new angle on things. Essentially he gave Meath the advantage when they played on, hence instructing the umpire to raise the flag. It's still a mess, but it might explain his actions.
But if he has blown the whistle can he still allow an advantage? I don't think so!
St. Josephs GFC - SFC Champions 1996 & 2006, IFC Champions 1983, 1990 & 2016 www.thejoesgfc.com

Hound

But surely everyone knew that for fecks sake.

Fitzpatrick said exactly that in his post match interview.

Probably shouldnt have been a penalty, but at least it would have been a debatable decision.

Still no excuse to award the goal.

mylestheslasher

He was going to give a penalty but instead allowed Meath to play on and throw the ball into the net, therefore the case is closed. What the hell was the penalty for? Class Ref and even classier Meath. I conclude that Meath are cheats, no good will come of  this and I hope they get bet out the gate in their next match.

Onlooker

I agree with you hardstation.  The referee's report has made a bad situation even worse. If he blew for penalty the game was stopped and no goal could be scored.  This is the first I have heard of a whistle being blown.  How can he justify blowing for a penalty first and then giving a goal.  This is going to run and run.

the Deel Rover

Quote from: Puckoon on July 13, 2010, 08:29:09 PM
Quote from: From the Bunker on July 13, 2010, 08:22:22 PM
Ian O'Doherty from todays Irish Independent

It's the spirit of the Gael...

One of the things that separates True Gaels from us Dublin-based, city-slicking West Brits is, of course, adherence to Gaelic football.

Indeed, the moral superiority displayed by the GAA-loving, troglodyte turf munchers is how the practitioners and fans of their code are more in tune with old concepts like honour and being a man, while fans of proper football are dismissed as just a bunch of degenerate knackers.

That attitude was best displayed two weeks ago by Antrim coach, Liam Bradley, when he condemned some opposition supporters and said witheringly: "A lot of my players took a lot of flak from supporters. You would have thought it was more of a soccer match than a Gaelic match."

So it was truly, undeniably hilarious to watch the scenes of untrammelled muck savagery in Croker on Sunday.

Fans attacking the ref; police protecting the ref; stewards getting bottled over the head; general carnage and good, old fashioned thuggery were the order of the day.

Yup, they truly do hold the moral high ground, for sure.

Although, in fairness, that melee was a hell of a lot more interesting than the complete dog of a World Cup final which followed ...

What a spiteful piece. Obviously something wrong with this fella.

+1 i'm nearly positive this bloke  married a girl from crossmolina at least we now know would he never come back town to talk to the local troglodyte turf munchers he doesn't like gaelic makes sense
Crossmolina Deel Rovers
All Ireland Club Champions 2001

Hound

Quote from: Onlooker on July 13, 2010, 10:22:16 PM
I agree with you hardstation.  The referee's report has made a bad situation even worse. If he blew for penalty the game was stopped and no goal could be scored.  This is the first I have heard of a whistle being blown.  How can he justify blowing for a penalty first and then giving a goal.  This is going to run and run.
Well it was mentioned on this thread by one of the Armagh lads that he heard a whistle before the goal was scored, and others backed him up. A
nd the ref said as much to Fitzpatrick afterwards, to which Fitz replied "well why defuck didnt you give the penalty then?" To which he got a shrug.

Archie Mitchell

One of the camera angles shows that Sludden would have had a perfect view of Sheridan throwing it into the net.

At least that's the case closed now. At the end of the day it was just an honest mistake by the ref, it happens in every game, just so happens this mistake happened at a bad time.

Maguire01

It's a mess, but that's the end of it.

Meath have a tarnished title, but at this stage Louth getting the title by any means would also be tarnished.

omagh_gael

Was there not a photo way on back in this thread that showed his view of Sheridan was in no way blocked?

How he seen a penalty in that passage of play I will never know .

Onlooker

Quote from: Maguire01 on July 13, 2010, 10:28:29 PM
It's a mess, but that's the end of it.

Meath have a tarnished title, but at this stage Louth getting the title by any means would also be tarnished.
How can it be finished when the ref. says that he blew the whistle for a penalty, but changed his mind and gave the goal.  Someone should take the shovels off the ref. and the Meath County Board as the hole that they are digging is getting bigger and bigger.

Maguire01

Quote from: omagh_gael on July 13, 2010, 10:30:07 PM
Was there not a photo way on back in this thread that showed his view of Sheridan was in no way blocked?

How he seen a penalty in that passage of play I will never know .
If somebody goes to grounds, someone will manage to see a penalty. And just because the camera showed his line of view doesn't mean that something couldn't have been missed in real time.

Archie Mitchell

It showed a good angle on the Sunday game of the view Sludden had of the incident. Though immnot sure how he gave the goal or decided to give a penalty either.

Maguire01

Quote from: Archie Mitchell on July 13, 2010, 10:34:16 PM
It showed a good angle on the Sunday game of the view Sludden had of the incident.
Again, in real time when you don't know what's about to happen and you only see it once, it's not always black and white.