Battle of the Boyne - Meath Vs Louth - Leinster Final 11/7/2010

Started by thejuice, June 29, 2010, 06:21:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maguire01

Quote from: fearglasmor on July 13, 2010, 01:49:19 PM
Quote from: Maguire01 on July 13, 2010, 01:44:25 PM
Quote from: fearglasmor on July 13, 2010, 01:39:12 PM
3.51 The Central Competitions Control Committee
(a) It shall consist of a Chairperson and one member from each of the four Provinces, appointed by the Management Committee. These members shall have
a responsibility in relation to each function outlined in this Rule. Additionally, the Secretary of each of the four Provincial Councils, shall be members with joint responsibility with the other members for the functions outlined in (b) below.

b) It shall be responsible for Competition Scheduling and for Arrangements and Control of Games (excluding appointment of Referees) under the jurisdiction of the Central Council.

(c) It shall investigate and process matters relating to the Enforcement of Rules (including hearing Objections and Counter Objections) and Match Regulations arising from Competitions and Games under the jurisdiction of the Central Council.

(d) It shall investigate and process matters relating to the Enforcement of Rules (excluding Objections and Counter Objections) and Match Regulations arising from Provincial Inter-County Senior Championship Games.

(e) It shall have the authority to direct Committees within Provinces and Counties to enforce the penalties prescribed in these Rules relating to Disciplinary Matters arising from Games.

(f) It shall prepare Match Regulations for the consideration and decision of the Management Committee and Central Council.
Looks like it might have some scope to act?

I dont think so,  C) I dont think applies to the Leinster Final.  d) does apply,  but e) proscribes that it only has power to direct in relation to disciplinary matters.

Maybe if there are some solicitors out there they could interpret the various sections.
So does E invalidate D?

Bud Wiser

Nah, don't want to reach 100 pages but I am expressing my opinion and I will express it again:

1.  It was the wrong choice of referee in the first place and before the championships started there   were questions about the panels of referees and how they were selected.

2.  He proved himself to be the wrong selection.

3.  His match report should have stated that the score was 1-10 to 0-12.

4.  The amount of media coverage about him being attacked, compared with his own arrogance at the end of the game was over cooked in the media, nobody died and he didn't even get a good belt.

As regards 'hard man, dutch courage etc, etc, in my years of playing I never had a go at a referee but what I said was that if I was a Louth player on Sunday at the end of the game and he was still in my face, and I believe at one stage in the face of a Garda, instead of getting off the field I could not guarantee that I would have shown the restraint that some of the Louth players did.

You would think from the reports that he was after being hung drawn and quartered when in fact it was mild compared to some of the other scenes he has found himself in before - poor devil'

The man in the nmiddle.
" Laois ? You can't drink pints of Guinness and talk sh*te in a pub, and play football the next day"

fearglasmor

Quote from: Maguire01 on July 13, 2010, 01:51:45 PM
(a) It shall consist of a Chairperson and one member from each of the four Provinces, appointed by the Management Committee. These members shall have
a responsibility in relation to each function outlined in this Rule. Additionally, the Secretary of each of the four Provincial Councils, shall be members with joint responsibility with the other members for the functions outlined in (b) below.

b) It shall be responsible for Competition Scheduling and for Arrangements and Control of Games (excluding appointment of Referees) under the jurisdiction of the Central Council.

(c) It shall investigate and process matters relating to the Enforcement of Rules (including hearing Objections and Counter Objections) and Match Regulations arising from Competitions and Games under the jurisdiction of the Central Council.

(d) It shall investigate and process matters relating to the Enforcement of Rules (excluding Objections and Counter Objections) and Match Regulations arising from Provincial Inter-County Senior Championship Games.

(e) It shall have the authority to direct Committees within Provinces and Counties to enforce the penalties prescribed in these Rules relating to Disciplinary Matters arising from Games.

(f) It shall prepare Match Regulations for the consideration and decision of the Management Committee and Central Council.

I dont think so,  C) I dont think applies to the Leinster Final.  d) does apply,  but e) proscribes that it only has power to direct in relation to disciplinary matters.

Maybe if there are some solicitors out there they could interpret the various sections.
So does E invalidate D?

It doesnt invalidate it but I think it qualifies it so that the power to direct is only on disciplinary issues.  Where is Joe Brolly when you need him.

GAA_Punter

Decision on Meath v Louth replay – Live updates

13:50 update
Meath County board, Players & Management will issue a statement at 8pm tonight after a meeting...

http://www.sportsnewsireland.com/2010/07/12/decision-on-meath-v-louth-replay-live-updates/

magpie seanie

Quote from: fearglasmor on July 13, 2010, 01:54:11 PM

So does E invalidate D?

It doesnt invalidate it but I think it qualifies it so that the power to direct is only on disciplinary issues.  Where is Joe Brolly when you need him.

Ara come on now Fearglasmor - you're just wrong on this. I suspect you knew as much with your decision to quote only part (e) initially. The CCCC is about more than merely discipline. The clue is in the name - Central Competitions Control Committee. No procedure exists that "make a very obvious and clear distinction between matters of discipline deciding the outcome of a match" as you asserted.

baoithe

Quote from: fearglasmor on July 13, 2010, 01:54:11 PM

So does E invalidate D?

E does not invalidate or qualify powers prescribed elsewhere in the section.

In relation to D, Is "Enforcement of Rules" defined elsewhere in the document? Or is "enforcement" and "rules" defined separately? They should be since they are in caps. Its open to interpretation the extent of powers under "investigate and process".

fearglasmor

Quote from: magpie seanie on July 13, 2010, 02:08:04 PM

Ara come on now Fearglasmor - you're just wrong on this. I suspect you knew as much with your decision to quote only part (e) initially. The CCCC is about more than merely discipline. The clue is in the name - Central Competitions Control Committee. No procedure exists that "make a very obvious and clear distinction between matters of discipline deciding the outcome of a match" as you asserted.

I dont know Seanie, section e) looks fairly clear to me. 
In reality have the cccc made any decisions on matters that weren't related to discipline ?

magpie seanie

Quote from: fearglasmor on July 13, 2010, 02:15:22 PM

In reality have the cccc made any decisions on matters that weren't related to discipline ?

If you completely ignore everything else bar section (e) you are right but you can't do that. You are right to say that they have only acted on disciplinary matters but I am correct in what I am saying too. Why they have chosen not to act in this matter is a matter for them but under the rules they can.

baoithe

Quote from: fearglasmor on July 13, 2010, 02:15:22 PM

If thats the entire section you have quoted above there is no way e can be regarded as been anything other than an additional function of the commitee as those set out in subsections b, c, d and f.

seafoid

the Deel Rover

i was listening to the match on sunday and when i heard what happened i felt so sorry for louth probably because i really wanted them to win and bring an end to their long wait for a provincial title ( however if say Kerry Cork or even Roscommon ;) had lost in a similar fashion i could not have cared less ) Then i saw what happened on the sunday game and listened to all the radio shows for the past 48 hours and people are calling Meath ang Joe Sheridan cheats and comparing them to France and Henry now wtf are they on ( can't believe i'm sticking up for Meath) in fairness there were two umpires within 3 foot of what happened so i believe they fcuked up the referee made his decesion awarded the goal and Meath won the match . Now what happened afterwards shouldn't be condoned but thankfully the referee didn't get really bad blow even though in fairness it could have got out of hand however ya cannot label all the Louth supporters thugs because of the actions of a few sure every county has a fair dollop of gobshites  , so what do they Gaa want they put all the pressure on the meath county board for them to agree to a replay. now for pure sporting reasons they probably should however  if we are to believe some of the stuff that happened between the players afterwards why should they . i know its easy to say but the louth players and supporters have just got to put in behind them and get on with it  it aint easy sure we in Mayo still have not got over Liam Mc Been sent off in 1996
Crossmolina Deel Rovers
All Ireland Club Champions 2001

fearglasmor

At least back in 1998 the Offaly folk had the decency to sit quietly on the grass in protest.  On the other hand Jimmy Cooney wasnt available to them. He had been hoisted away in double quick time.

Farrandeelin

What an aptly named thread title. It sure did turn into a battle.  :D

Meath have to offer a replay now, sure the ref admitted he made a mistake. I'm not sure they will though. I agree with stephenite something has to be done with umpires. First, they should have their eyes tested. Did the other umpire (one at white flag) stoop as if he was going to put the flag up???
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

you take er!

Massive thread this and have only skimmed its content but... On the issue of comparisons of J. Sheridan and Meath to T. Henry and France i would say there is a comparison i could make. On both these occasions players did something in a split second, without contemplation, which were contrary to the rules and which consequently defeated the superior team.
        On each occasion i would lay the blame fairly and and squarely at the feet of the officials. In each case TV showed that even if the referee didnt, other officials had a clear view of what happened and there was no communication as to what either saw.
    Players constantly, constantly bend and break the rules the officials are there to ensure the rules are applied. There are several officials in GAA so that they can work together to ensure this happens. On Sunday at Croke Park. Mr Sludden showed arrogance beyond belief. It is this arrogance that is giving referees a poor reputation not only county level but also club level. The most arrogant Refs seem to get the higher profile games (Pat McEnaney aside).
      As for the GAA... I would not expect anything else from them-spineless deflecting responsibility onto either the officials or Meath. It would be a noble move by Meath to grant a replay but it should've been taken out of their hands long ago.

full moon

Meath have no shame that much is obvious. If they don't offer at least a replay they will be the laughing stock of the country, even more so than they already.

Their thuggish players will never given into having a replay. They wouldn't risk being beaten yet and embarrassed yet again.

That Meath team needs to be battered into next week and have manners put on them. Once Bernard Morris is named Cavan manager, we will happily oblige next year in the qualifiers.