Battle of the Boyne - Meath Vs Louth - Leinster Final 11/7/2010

Started by thejuice, June 29, 2010, 06:21:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lar Naparka

Quote from: hardstation on July 13, 2010, 12:41:03 AM
Also, has nobody questioned the 2 Louth backs who made a complete balls of it?

But why should they? What has that got to do with the legality or otherwise of the 'goal' Sheridan scored?
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

pkerin what are you trying to post if, its a photo use the symbol below the B to wrap the .jpg around, if its a hyperlink use the symbol below the I to do the same.
Time to take a more chill-pill approach to life.

moysider

Quote from: hardstation on July 13, 2010, 12:59:03 AM
Quote from: moysider on July 13, 2010, 12:56:49 AM

So what?  That s the game. Another made a heroic block. Thats the game as well. It s like saying a team that kicked a good few wides deserve to lose even though a bent ref shafted them. We ve been there and it is still being peddled. Under no circumstances should a game be decided by the whim of an official.
Two Louth backs ballsed up. The referee ballsed up..........

If players aren't good enough they lose. But if a sport is decided by the incompetence of officials then you dont have sport. If there is no justice in sport, then there is no point. The great thing about the championship was that the little guy could take out the big guy on a good day. 10 years ago Louth would be preparing for an AI semi with a realistic chance of the big pot - if they hadn't been shafted.. Qualifiers were introduced to give the big guns a second chance and now we see the upstarts being levelled by a bad decisions. Why bother with all this pretence of a championship and fair play and just let the select dozen or so compete for it each year.

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Quote from: moysider on July 13, 2010, 01:13:14 AM

So what?  That s the game. Another made a heroic block. Thats the game as well. It s like saying a team that kicked a good few wides deserve to lose even though a bent ref shafted them. We ve been there and it is still being peddled. Under no circumstances should a game be decided by the whim of an official.

If players aren't good enough they lose. But if a sport is decided by the incompetence of officials then you dont have sport. If there is no justice in sport, then there is no point. The great thing about the championship was that the little guy could take out the big guy on a good day. 10 years ago Louth would be preparing for an AI semi with a realistic chance of the big pot - if they hadn't been shafted.. Qualifiers were introduced to give the big guns a second chance and now we see the upstarts being levelled by a bad decisions. Why bother with all this pretence of a championship and fair play and just let the select dozen or so compete for it each year.

Exactly, by not questioning blatent major errors, blatent stubborness not to consult other officials and consult not dictate, or even pure cheating by officials (I certainly don't think this last one is apt here) we could very easily end up with a ref. sending off say 4 players from one side & give 3 penalties just because they can. Even Kerry would struggle in an All-Ireland Final against Mayo/Cork if the ref. by choice or a series of blantent mistakes decided the game.

But that would stand by your reasoning Hardstation.

pkerin

Well I dont think thats how to post a picture but it worked. Funny right. I had some free time at work today. I like mine better than the other one I saw flooting around.

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Quote from: hardstation on July 13, 2010, 01:35:44 AM
The referee is a part of the game, unless I've been living on another planet. It may be time to have a look at refereeing but many other teams have been where Louth are.

No referee is there to ensure that the rules of the game are adheared too, the referee is like a catalyst, he is there to ensure that the reaction/game can take place, but he should not be used up in the reaction/his actions should not be the deciding force to decide the game.

moysider

Quote from: hardstation on July 13, 2010, 01:24:50 AM
Quote from: moysider on July 13, 2010, 01:13:14 AM

Indeed.

The referee made a mistake, a genuine mistake. He didn't intend to fcuk Louth over. He called it as he saw it. We know that how he saw it was wrong. It has been the same in our games since they began. Many teams have been shafted since our games began. It happens. Louth were unfortunate. Time for video refs etc but what happened happened. It may be hard to accept now but they just have to take it on the chin, like so many before have had to.

You know who takes it on the chin. It only causes bitterness and resentment. I d prefer not to have to take it on the chin. Sunday s shit was avoidable if there was even a smidereen of sense about.

He didn't intend to f**k Louth over but it's funny that it is the Louths that get fucked over. I won't hold my breath that Kerry, Cork or Meath will get a bad call any time soon. The ref made a mistake but I m sure sure it was a conditioned mistake. He expected Meath to win driving to the game.

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Quote from: hardstation on July 13, 2010, 01:54:02 AM
Quote from: mayogodhelpus@gmail.com on July 13, 2010, 01:46:56 AM
The referee is a part of the game, unless I've been living on another planet. It may be time to have a look at refereeing but many other teams have been where Louth are.

No referee is there to ensure that the rules of the game are adheared too, the referee is like a catalyst, he is there to ensure that the reaction/game can take place, but he should not be used up in the reaction/his actions should not be the deciding force to decide the game.
He thought it was a legitimate goal, turns out it wasn't. Fcuk me.....

I wonder big time about what the Umpire said to him, why both where not consulted, and did he factor in what the umpire said. Did he make a decision, hear a different one from the Umpire and stick to his guns, right or wrong.

moysider

No, No. I can't remember any team being where Louth are now. Close maybe and then I d be talking about non county.

The ref being part of the game is just a soundbite. Sure you ll get dodgy decisions but in a match of that importance that decision verged on the the ridiculous. The game is in disrepute. I could see in my living room that it was not a goal. Yet the ref was in a situation where he didn't see what happened and had no help. He obviously didn't trust the opinions of the umpires that he must have known. A video ref is the only way to go and it just has to happen. End of. Not much good to Louth though.

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Quote from: hardstation on July 13, 2010, 02:00:34 AM
Quote from: mayogodhelpus@gmail.com on July 13, 2010, 01:56:36 AM
Quote from: hardstation on July 13, 2010, 01:54:02 AM
Quote from: mayogodhelpus@gmail.com on July 13, 2010, 01:46:56 AM

He thought it was a legitimate goal, turns out it wasn't. Fcuk me.....

I wonder big time about what the Umpire said to him, why both where not consulted, and did he factor in what the umpire said. Did he make a decision, hear a different one from the Umpire and stick to his guns, right or wrong.
His umpire seemed to not have a clue what was going on and was told to raise the flag. That was a decision by Sludden. It is very easy for us to say it wasn't a goal.

Thats a fair point, maybe the umpire said, I'm not sure, then we should know this.

If he wasn't sure was it because he did not see properly or is he sketchy on rules, most GAA people are sketchy on some rules or even alot of rules, I learn all the time even after watching the game since I was 3 and playing Underage and Junior. But an Umpire should and must know the rules, if not, we need to have refs acting as umpires. I have umpires Junior games and there is an incredible level of intimidation from both teams, fans and yes the referee on which way to go, it is wrong but it happens, I used hate ending up as a sole umpire until I said I would only do it if the other umpire was from the other club. Yet still the ref. told me what my decision was, it felt like I was only there to make the game official.