Battle of the Boyne - Meath Vs Louth - Leinster Final 11/7/2010

Started by thejuice, June 29, 2010, 06:21:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zapatista

Quote from: ONeill on July 12, 2010, 11:38:46 PM
Hardstation echoes my sentiments. They were the victim of an referee's mistake and his subsequent ignorance. Crap happens in sport, because that's what it is.

I like sport.

From the Bunker

Quote from: hardstation on July 12, 2010, 11:41:31 PM
Quote from: From the Bunker on July 12, 2010, 11:34:29 PM
Quote from: hardstation on July 12, 2010, 11:29:26 PM
Quote from: ONeill on July 12, 2010, 11:26:00 PM
Louth are not coming out of this well at all atall.

Sludden might be a dungbag but he didn't hit anyone.
If there is a replay (and I don't believe there should be), I will certainly be hoping that Meath stuff them. Add to that, if there is no replay, I will be supporting any team Louth play, for the rest of the championship.........and for years to come.

Hardstation, are you for real? ;)
Yes. They really pissed me off yesterday.

They as in.....?

moysider

Quote from: hardstation on July 12, 2010, 10:54:15 PM
Quote from: SLIGONIAN on July 12, 2010, 10:48:01 PM
Quote from: ross matt on July 12, 2010, 09:50:42 PM
Quote from: pintsofguinness on July 12, 2010, 06:21:22 PM
QuoteSligonian the sad thing here is that you're not even takin the piss. Happy for Sligo in general to have performed so well this year but you do them no favours spoutin shite like that.
I don't agree with sligonian but that's a nonsense post.

I wouldn't really call Sheridan a cheat, I don't blame him for diving over the line or arguing with the ref and umpire that it was a goal, all heat of the moment stuff but someone really needs to tell him to stop talking to the media, if he can't be honest. He's doing himself no favours and is adding fuel to the fire.

Whats nonsense about it? Sligonian is letting down all Sligo fans with that drivel defending those thugs.

I agree with you re Sheridan. Getting undue criticism. Any player would have accepted a goal decision in that instance whether they knew it was a foul or not.  His media comments were'nt the most diplomatic but he was put on the spot.

I speak for myself is what POG getting at rossmatt, i dont represent the views of Sligo people in general. Everyone on here is entitled to their view and only represent themselves, and to be honest ross matt ive an understanding of the louth fans anger. So i think we should go easy on them but still punish them. Ive seen worse acts on a GAA field and they werent banned for life or given jail sentences which are complete overreactions. I can safely say ive never been involved in a negative incident on a GAA field, never even got booked in my whole playing days so ye cant say im as bad as them either.

It seems the Meath CB are waiting on the ref report before deciding and no decision will be made tonight. I think if Meath offer a replay they are well within there rights to get it played in Navan.
And with Louth missing all the players who verbally abused Martin Sludden.

Why not make them play 5 cardboard - cutouts as well? Just to make sure Meath win.
Why the f**k would it be played in Navan? If there is a replay, the original match is declared null and void - period. They start from scratch and all cards are recinded.
Not sure how I feel about a replay. If one is not granted then Louth should withdraw from the qualifiers to make a point. The point being that after the events of yesterday the championship 2010 is flawed. If Meath go on and win it through the direct route there will always be question marks over it. Unfortunately Louth people will have to accept that decisions like that go against the little people and there is bugger alll they can do about it. All this shite talk about improving weaker counties is just blather. Once they show signs of getting uppety they get slapped down fairly sharpish. As if something like that would have been allowed at the other end, or against the likes of Kerry or Cork. Frank would have had that game null and voided before dark last night. I could n't help thinking yesterday that that was the second time in 2 years that Meath got match winning calls by officials that were in error. Not Meath s fault but they, and a few select others, seem to benefit from craven refereeing decisions. It happens all the time. Apologies Louth people but I couldn't help having a bit of a cynical laugh yesterday. I ve been in the middle of 2 similar shaftings by refs who were n't courageous enough to allow a game go to its natural conclusion and felt they had to get the expected result. Well no, I think yesterday was just incompetence. Worse deliberate refereeing manipulation of events happens - just no cameras around to see it.

ross matt

Quote from: pintsofguinness on July 12, 2010, 10:21:34 PM
Quote from: ross matt on July 12, 2010, 09:50:42 PM
Quote from: pintsofguinness on July 12, 2010, 06:21:22 PM
QuoteSligonian the sad thing here is that you're not even takin the piss. Happy for Sligo in general to have performed so well this year but you do them no favours spoutin shite like that.
I don't agree with sligonian but that's a nonsense post.

I wouldn't really call Sheridan a cheat, I don't blame him for diving over the line or arguing with the ref and umpire that it was a goal, all heat of the moment stuff but someone really needs to tell him to stop talking to the media, if he can't be honest. He's doing himself no favours and is adding fuel to the fire.

Whats nonsense about it? Sligonian is letting down all Sligo fans with that drivel defending those thugs.

I agree with you re Sheridan. Getting undue criticism. Any player would have accepted a goal decision in that instance whether they knew it was a foul or not.  His media comments were'nt the most diplomatic but he was put on the spot.
because we all speak for ourselves here and it's just silly to think the views of one person is a reflection on his county!  You could just as well say he's letting down all Irish men or all Europeans with his talk.

Very pedantic Pints.
This is what I was referring to when I referenced Sligo.
"If this had happened Sligo in 07 i would of went ballistic and i dont know what I would have done".
The above coupled with the rest of his stupid post was spoken as a Sligo supporter. Hence my point about him defending those thugs and drawing any reference to his own county in it does Sligo no favours.

pintsofguinness

"If this had happened Sligo in 07 i would of went ballistic and i dont know what I would have done".
that makes no difference, he doesnt speak for sligo, he speaks for himself.
anyone who judges a county (or club) on the basis of one person is just daft.
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

moysider

Hardstation echoes my sentiments. They were the victim of an referee's mistake and his subsequent ignorance. Crap happens in sport, because that's what it is.

You have been fortunate O Neill to see your county enjoy considerable success in recent years. I think it's too easy for people from successful counties to tell the small people to 'get over it' or 'dry your eyes'. A win yesterday would probably be the pinnacle of louth sucess for another 50 years. It was a once in a lifetime event. Funny too how crap happens to the small fry in the GAA. Remember 95 and how, what many considered was a legit Tyrone point, was disallowed. How did you feel then? I know Art McCrory suspected a fast one had been pulled and he was right of course.

ross matt

Quote from: pintsofguinness on July 12, 2010, 11:52:00 PM
that makes no difference, he doesnt speak for sligo, he speaks for himself.
anyone who judges a county (or club) on the basis of one person is just daft.

Really? Jaysus I thought he WAS Sligo!

From the Bunker

Quote from: hardstation on July 12, 2010, 11:57:28 PM
BTW, I believe Sludden was right to stay and book players who verbally abused him. He made a decision which he felt was correct. We were able to see replays etc and know he was wrong. That doesn't open the door for players to call him all the c***ts of the day.

It happens all the time, refs making decisions, players giving him abuse and getting booked.

Don't think most other refs would be hanging around. Clearly he did not realise the bobo he had done and seen the Louth players as upstarts trying to blame anybody for their loss.

on a foot note, Meath had more than enough chances in the first half, and should not have been depending on a rugby try to get them over the line.

moysider

Quote from: hardstation on July 12, 2010, 11:57:28 PM
BTW, I believe Sludden was right to stay and book players who verbally abused him. He made a decision which he felt was correct. We were able to see replays etc and know he was wrong. That doesn't open the door for players to call him all the c***ts of the day.

It happens all the time, refs making decisions, players giving him abuse and getting booked.

Are you suggesting hardstation that the Louth players and manager, knowing they had been done by a poor decision, should just have accepted it? And maybe hung around and stoically accepted it all and applauded while Meath was prevented with the cup? Are you for real? Have you no concept of the type of people that play and manage at this level? If they weren't competitive then they would have been gone by early teens.Why should the little teams have to put up with that type of injustice?  The manager and players showed considerable restraint under the circumstances and actually sent a few fans packing themselves. The fans actions are a diferent matter. I could see the same happeneing no matter what county was involved. Just happened to be Louth.

From the Bunker

ok this is where we are at in the eyes of the Association.

Meath are Leinster Champions having won the game.

Sheridan scored a legitimate goal deep into injury time to win the match.

Attacking a referee is wrong.

Interfering with stewards is wrong.

There can't be a replay as the game was not a drawn result.

Time to move on.

Shit happens.

Zapatista

Quote from: moysider on July 13, 2010, 12:11:06 AM

Are you suggesting hardstation that the Louth players and manager, knowing they had been done by a poor decision, should just have accepted it? And maybe hung around and stoically accepted it all and applauded while Meath was prevented with the cup? Are you for real? Have you no concept of the type of people that play and manage at this level? If they weren't competitive then they would have been gone by early teens.Why should the little teams have to put up with that type of injustice?  The manager and players showed considerable restraint under the circumstances and actually sent a few fans packing themselves. The fans actions are a diferent matter. I could see the same happeneing no matter what county was involved. Just happened to be Louth.

Tipp did in the AIF last year.

moysider

Quote from: hardstation on July 13, 2010, 12:00:37 AM
Quote from: moysider on July 12, 2010, 11:55:37 PM

You have been fortunate O Neill to see your county enjoy considerable success in recent years. I think it's too easy for people from successful counties to tell the small people to 'get over it' or 'dry your eyes'. A win yesterday would probably be the pinnacle of louth sucess for another 50 years. It was a once in a lifetime event. Funny too how crap happens to the small fry in the GAA. Remember 95 and how, what many considered was a legit Tyrone point, was disallowed. How did you feel then? I know Art McCrory suspected a fast one had been pulled and he was right of course.
He probably thought "Paddy Russell is a ballix" and probably still does. Remember Charlie Redmond was 'sent off' in the same game. We didn't witness the scenes we did yesterday.

We did nt because on AI final day the are full of neutrals and the hard core fans probably still behind fences in Canal and Hill. Don't cod yourself. An injustice like that would cause a riot anywhere, bad and all that it is. You cant condone it but only a fool would expect that it would not happen.

ballinaman

Quote from: Zapatista on July 13, 2010, 12:13:25 AM
Quote from: moysider on July 13, 2010, 12:11:06 AM

Tipp did in the AIF last year.
Slight difference in terms of success between Tipp and Louth though in recent times.....

Zapatista

Quote from: ballinaman on July 13, 2010, 12:18:24 AM
Slight difference in terms of success between Tipp and Louth though in recent times.....

This is just my point. This is more about poor wee Louth than it is about justice. It's nobodys fault Louth haven't been good enough over the last 50 years but their own.

ross4life

So what did the Meath GAA decide at that meeting they had tonight?
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open