Battle of the Boyne - Meath Vs Louth - Leinster Final 11/7/2010

Started by thejuice, June 29, 2010, 06:21:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

seafoid

Quote from: Hardy on July 12, 2010, 08:48:18 PM
Joe actually had an English accent that he has gradually been losing. It seems to be nearly completely gone now. He was brought up in Birmingham.

He might sound like a Dub to you, Seafoid, but not to us or to Dubs.

Thanks for that Hardy but I didn't get that Nobber accent buzz from the bit I listened to. My understanding is that the boundaries between Mead and Dub are a bit blurred nowadays anyway with the spread of suburbia . Are the Norman pronunciations holding up in outposts such as Dunshaughlin ? 

Elias

Quote from: Louth Exile on July 12, 2010, 08:54:32 PM
Quote from: Elias on July 12, 2010, 08:39:15 PM
Quote from: Louth Exile on July 12, 2010, 07:29:22 PM
Quote from: Main Street on July 12, 2010, 04:17:43 PM
I hope the Louth co board have issued an unreserved apology to Sludden, and the GAA for those scenes and accept that there was absolutely no justification for those attempts at mindless thuggery.

I don't see how it is responsibility of the Louth County Board to apologies for the mindless actions of individuals who were not there representing our county! The county board should (and has) aided with the identifying of these individuals and bringing them to appropriate justice. As I posted earlier, an ex player was in contact with the man who struck Mark Ward to identitfy himself to the Gardai and he has done so.

Sludden should apologies to the Louth players and management who had this massive achievement stripped away from them due to his incompetence/arrogance/malevolence/panic. Nobody but he can answer why he did what he did!

Who exactly were they representing then? Meath?
Yes they were representing Meath  ::)
They were neither, players, management or officials of the county of Louth. Nor were they representative of the majority of us who managed to keep our anger in check! Should we all be tainted because of the actions of a few? I have said it before and I'll say it again, every county has its lunatic fringe, ours got out on the pitch yesterday!

I disagree. The unfortunate thing about idiots like we seen yesterday is that it tarnishes the good name of the vast majority of Louth supporters in Croke Park. As you rightly allude to every county has their share of these muppets but whenever these people make the headlines for the wrong reasons it ultimately reflects back on the county they came to support.

Hardy

Sorry, Deiseach, but I haven't heard him say he definitely kicked the ball over the line. Can you point me to that?

In any case, an opinion on the definitiveness of something is still an opinion, isn't it?

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: TYRONE HACK on July 12, 2010, 08:57:45 PM
Sheridan from England eh, thats where he gets the rugby then, I hear Martin Johnsons looking for him for the World cup, well it was good enough for Jack Charleton

No try. Clear forward pass and big Joe didn't ground the ball correctly.

Hardy

Quote from: seafoid on July 12, 2010, 09:02:10 PM
Quote from: Hardy on July 12, 2010, 08:48:18 PM
Joe actually had an English accent that he has gradually been losing. It seems to be nearly completely gone now. He was brought up in Birmingham.

He might sound like a Dub to you, Seafoid, but not to us or to Dubs.

Thanks for that Hardy but I didn't get that Nobber accent buzz from the bit I listened to. My understanding is that the boundaries between Mead and Dub are a bit blurred nowadays anyway with the spread of suburbia . Are the Norman pronunciations holding up in outposts such as Dunshaughlin ? 

No better than anywhere else, unfortunately. Accents will only last another generation or two, I'd say. Global pop culture and communications are now a bigger influence than the accent of a locality.

I hear young wans down the road here in Passage talking about going denn to see their careers canceller.

thejuice

I hope the Louth co board have issued an unreserved apology to Sludden, and the GAA for those scenes and accept that there was absolutely no justification for those attempts at mindless thuggery.

I don't see how it is responsibility of the Louth County Board to apologies for the mindless actions of individuals who were not there representing our county! The county board should (and has) aided with the identifying of these individuals and bringing them to appropriate justice. As I posted earlier, an ex player was in contact with the man who struck Mark Ward to identitfy himself to the Gardai and he has done so.

Sludden should apologies to the Louth players and management who had this massive achievement stripped away from them due to his incompetence/arrogance/malevolence/panic. Nobody but he can answer why he did what he did!

They were neither, players, management or officials of the county of Louth. Nor were they representative of the majority of us who managed to keep our anger in check! Should we all be tainted because of the actions of a few? I have said it before and I'll say it again, every county has its lunatic fringe, ours got out on the pitch yesterday!

Peter Fitzpatrick apologised to Sludden on TV3 on behalf of Louth County Board, supporters and players.

I've heard from 2 sources that a replay is going to be offered. Don't know exactly how trustworthy these are but they are the 1st murmurs I've heard tonight.
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

INDIANA

Quote from: thejuice on July 12, 2010, 09:10:08 PM

Peter Fitzpatrick apologised to Sludden on TV3 on behalf of Louth County Board, supporters and players.

I've heard from 2 sources that a replay is going to be offered. Don't know exactly how trustworthy these are but they are the 1st murmurs I've heard tonight.

The Gaa has told the Meath county board CP on Sunday is available. Good source.

seafoid

Hardy

Will they have careers to go to though? I wonder about the accents too. There is a mobile portion of the population that isn't rooted anywhere that may speak in other than a local accent but other than that I'd say the accents have a fair chance.   I can't see the default Irish accent going Dort. It's too shalla like. 

Louth Exile

Quote from: Elias on July 12, 2010, 09:03:18 PM

I disagree. The unfortunate thing about idiots like we seen yesterday is that it tarnishes the good name of the vast majority of Louth supporters in Croke Park. As you rightly allude to every county has their share of these muppets but whenever these people make the headlines for the wrong reasons it ultimately reflects back on the county they came to support.

I know that, but I also have just about enough faith left in me to believe that most right minded people will see that they are not representative of the great and proud loyal football support that there has always been in the county. There are of course the likes of Hardstation who believes that we should all pay for their sins.
St. Josephs GFC - SFC Champions 1996 & 2006, IFC Champions 1983, 1990 & 2016 www.thejoesgfc.com

INDIANA

Quote from: seafoid on July 12, 2010, 09:13:40 PM
Hardy

Will they have careers to go to though? I wonder about the accents too. There is a mobile portion of the population that isn't rooted anywhere that may speak in other than a local accent but other than that I'd say the accents have a fair chance.   I can't see the default Irish accent going Dort. It's too shalla like.

Whats more funny is the country people who attempt to acquire the Dort accent while living in Dublin. Beyond hilarious.

Louth Exile

Quote from: thejuice on July 12, 2010, 09:10:08 PM

Fair play to Fitzer, unecessary I would have thought, but fair play! Did Sludden thank him for saving him from even worse abuse from the savages. I would still like to see Sludden make a genuine apology for what he has done to us
St. Josephs GFC - SFC Champions 1996 & 2006, IFC Champions 1983, 1990 & 2016 www.thejoesgfc.com

deiseach

Quote from: Hardy on July 12, 2010, 09:03:43 PM
Sorry, Deiseach, but I haven't heard him say he definitely kicked the ball over the line. Can you point me to that?

In any case, an opinion on the definitiveness of something is still an opinion, isn't it?

Checking the quote, I can see he didn't say he kicked it in.

"It was a definite goal. People can otherwise, but I was well high in over the net. I just dropped the ball and it was in the net, simple as that."

But it wasn't a goal. The mere fact that he swung a leg at it tells us that he knew he had to kick it for it be a goal. Now, I can understand him doing it in the heat of the moment, but when he said what he said in the interview he should have been told that no, that's not a goal.

Hardy

I'm not as optimistic as you, Seafoid, but I'm in a grumpy mood from finding myself and my people responsible for the shattered dreams of two generations of Louth people and for trying to deflect some of the opprobrium from poor Joe Sheridan who's being caricatured as the incarnation of Beelzebub. It's a heavy burden, so that could be it.

Good post, Muppet.

Elias

How would the Louth fans feel about a reply if one is offered?

Would it not be best to draw a line under this, admit the game was won by Meath by a terrible ref decision, in the knowledge that you should be Leinster Champions, and prepare for the qualifers?

Hardy

Desieach, I don't think there's any evidence Joe saw the replay before he was interviewed. I only saw the one interview. He was still in his jersey. The only other quotes I saw were in this morning's papers, presumably again from the immediate aftermath.

In any case his having a different view of it from the generally accepted one is hardly a crime. People were attacked yesterday and the subject of the day is a footballer who thinks he scored a goal.