Battle of the Boyne - Meath Vs Louth - Leinster Final 11/7/2010

Started by thejuice, June 29, 2010, 06:21:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blue and Navy

The ball popped up among a thicket of bodies and fell to Joe Sheridan, who smuggled the ball over the line. Eamonn O'Brien's side had won a game they scarcely deserved to.
Louth will feel hard done by, but some of the blame has to lie at their door.

However, they were guilty of kicking nine wides in the second half alone and Meath's late goal would have been nothing more than a consolation had they taken their chances. They also missed two gilt-edged goal chances in the first half.

Andy McDonnell levelled the game for the sixth time in the 61st minute. Rooney then stole in for a goal and nobody could have predicted the drama that would unfold as Louth somehow contrived to blow their big chance.

From the GAA website.......bit of a cover up there, really laying the blame on Louth aren't they?

The Real Laoislad

Quote from: Newbridge Exile on July 11, 2010, 06:22:04 PM
Joe Sheridan not doing himself any favours with his interview on RTE news claiming he didn't commit a foul with the goal
Fair play to the Meath fan in the back of the car for saying Louth should have won and he wasn't happy with the result
You'll Never Walk Alone.

GalwayBayBoy

Joe Sheridan not doing himself any favours with his interview on RTE news claiming he didn't commit a foul with the goal

Can't believe he denied throwing the ball. He must have forgotten that the match was being recorded on television cameras. And someone should tell him you can't carry the ball into the net either.

muppet

Quote from: Mac2 on July 11, 2010, 06:18:48 PM
Quote from: pintsofguinness on July 11, 2010, 06:15:45 PM
Quote from: Mac2 on July 11, 2010, 06:12:53 PM
What exactly do people want the GAA to do here. Give a replay? Is that justice given that Louth had won the game. Rescind the decision by the referee and hand the game to Louth? Either way where will that leave us with respect to decisions re: dubious late frees etc where matches are drawn or won.
Dubious late frees are completely different to the sheer incompetence (I'll stop short of accusing him of cheating) that we seen today.

Why, just because this one is more blatant? Results can be adversely affected in either case & we've seen numerous examples of this down through the years.

This is worse simply because it is quite obviously wrong. There is no debate (other than from Joe Sheridan who I just saw on the news and is going down in my estimation).

You are talking about dubious frees which sound to me to be subjective and open to interpretation. You are then at the mercy of the referee's interpretation as it should be. In this case there is no other interpretation. There isn't a single post on this thread saying it was a goal.
MWWSI 2017

pintsofguinness

What exactly do people want the GAA to do here. Give a replay? Is that justice given that Louth had won the game. Rescind the decision by the referee and hand the game to Louth? Either way where will that leave us with respect to decisions re: dubious late frees etc where matches are drawn or won.
Dubious late frees are completely different to the sheer incompetence (I'll stop short of accusing him of cheating) that we seen today.

Why, just because this one is more blatant? Results can be adversely affected in either case & we've seen numerous examples of this down through the years.
Yes, a dubious free kick can be down to any number of things and you will see it constantly in games, not just in the last minutes.
What we seen today was inexcusable complete incompetence from a referee who didn't even see fit to consult with his umpires.  Had it just been the square ball alone I don't think people would have been calling for a replay because we can all accept than in every sport there will be dodgy decisions.  When it's so blatant like the throwball/touchdown the incident needs to be revisited and the questions asked of the officials!

Is there anyway we all missed a rule change during the week? Not that that would be surprising either.

Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

Cosmo Kramer

Quote from: Blue and Navy on July 11, 2010, 06:22:37 PM
The ball popped up among a thicket of bodies and fell to Joe Sheridan, who smuggled the ball over the line. Eamonn O'Brien's side had won a game they scarcely deserved to.

However, they were guilty of kicking nine wides in the second half alone and Meath's late goal would have been nothing more than a consolation had they taken their chances. They also missed two gilt-edged goal chances in the first half.

Andy McDonnell levelled the game for the sixth time in the 61st minute. Rooney then stole in for a goal and nobody could have predicted the drama that would unfold as Louth somehow contrived to blow their big chance.

From the GAA website.......bit of a cover up there, really laying the blame on Louth aren't they?

Reminds me of FIFAs official report on the France game.

Meath fans on the radio now not covering themselves in glory either.
A few Mayo GAA videos if anyone is interested - www.youtube.com/CosmoKramer100

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Lord Haw Haw couldn't write better propeganda.
Time to take a more chill-pill approach to life.

zoyler

THat bit from the GAA website sounds very familiar!  Let me think !!   Oh yes - the FIFA report on France v Ireland which somehow managed to miss a certain double handball!

pintsofguinness

Quote from: Cosmo Kramer on July 11, 2010, 06:27:20 PM

what are they saying?

have you link or station?
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

Mac2

Quote from: muppet on July 11, 2010, 06:25:16 PM

This is worse simply because it is quite obviously wrong. There is no debate (other than from Joe Sheridan who I just saw on the news and is going down in my estimation).

You are talking about dubious frees which sound to me to be subjective and open to interpretation. You are then at the mercy of the referee's interpretation as it should be. In this case there is no other interpretation. There isn't a single post on this thread saying it was a goal.

There have been frees that have been given that are clearly & unequivocally wrong. What you are advocating, that the game should be awarded to Louth? That's a dangerous precedent.

clarshack

Ashamed to be a tyrone man tonight cos of sludden. Its a very dark day for the GAA.

muppet

Quote from: Mac2 on July 11, 2010, 06:29:36 PM
Quote from: muppet on July 11, 2010, 06:25:16 PM

There have been frees that have been given that are clearly & unequivocally wrong. What you are advocating, that the game should be awarded to Louth? That's a dangerous precedent.

And standing over injustice isn't?
MWWSI 2017

Cosmo Kramer

Quote from: pintsofguinness on July 11, 2010, 06:29:11 PM
Quote from: Cosmo Kramer on July 11, 2010, 06:27:20 PM

what are they saying?

have you link or station?

Radio 1's Take Your Point.

Which is exactly what they haven't done for 'Frank', a former Louth GAA star apparently, who has been cut off for saying what everyone else is thinking - that the ref had a shocker. Apparently you're not allowed to criticise the refs on this show. They gave Mickey Curley 10 minutes for his spin on things though (this stuff happens, people need to move on, Slugger's a good guy)...
A few Mayo GAA videos if anyone is interested - www.youtube.com/CosmoKramer100