Medical Status of Boardmembers

Started by Ball Hopper, December 19, 2019, 03:25:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ball Hopper

Hang in there MR2...our thoughts are with you and your family.

illdecide

Quote from: Ball Hopper on April 27, 2020, 03:28:51 AM
Hang in there MR2...our thoughts are with you and your family.

Well said BH...Stay strong men and fight this terrible disease. Hope everything works out
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

armaghniac

QuoteI get radiation from 9 different angles, which helps the skin as each area gets only 11% of the total dose.  The angles are roughly 40 degrees apart, and 9 make up the full circle of 360 around me as the gantry moves all around me.

This is the trick, the point at which they focus the radiation gets the full dose while the area around it gets one ninth of that dose.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

macdanger2

Good luck BH (and MR2), cancer treatment is a seriously long and difficult journey

Ball Hopper

Part 2 (radiation and lighter chemo) is over half-way done - reached 52% on Friday last, 8 May, with 13 of 25 sessions complete. 

The great news is that I've avoided side effects so far...the dreaded diarrhea/dehydration/extreme fatigue cycle is being kept distant by a combination of diet and over the counter medication.  So far, I'm only taking half of the max dose on the OTC meds, so there is room for increasing the resistance as the attacks become stronger. 

If symptoms start appearing, prescription meds will be brought into the battle.  I have 5 treatments this week and 5 next week, followed by two treatments on 26 and 27 May to complete Part 2.  If I can get even one more week without side effects, I'll consider myself most fortunate.  Have two or even three weeks of severe discomfort will be a small price to pay over what is now 6 months of treatment.

Weight is now 12lbs/5kg below the baseline of chemo 2 on 7 Jan.  Side effects could cause a few more pounds to be shed, but I'll have all of June to put it back on.

All blood tests that are important are still above the normal person's low threshold which is excellent news.  Glucose levels continue to drop toward normal high levels.

They say the BRAT diet (Bananas, Rice, Applesauce, Toast) helps cure diarrhea...even in infants (so you new Moms and Dads take heed), although I fail to see how a normal serving of applesauce helps.  I'm taking all these hoping they might also have preventative properties.  I'm also aware that my glucose meds occasionally cause mild constipation, so I've added an extra pill each day, again hoping that getting a little constipated might help prevent diarrhea...but who knows if that is true.

It is also approaching the time to start enquiries about what the medic's plan has for me in June as I start preparation for surgery (initial plan has surgery about 4 weeks after radiation ends).  What scans/tests are needed and at what stage of the month...the week after radiation or the week before surgery?  How many meetings with the surgeon are needed?  What can I do to be as well prepared as possible?  What are the criteria to leave hospital?  And details on the colo-bag...maintenance plan and how long will I need it.  No doubt, I'll have more questions and will develop plans to best anticipate and tackle the new challenges.

In any case, I'm delighted to start the second half of Part 2 without the side effects.  I'll take every day without the side effects with deep gratitude and good spirits.  I'll update again in 2 weeks, Sunday 24 May.

Thanks again for all the good wishes.

quit yo jibbajabba

Good luck once again BH goin thro all this in the midst of all the craziness

Square Ball

Quote from: quit yo jibbajabba on May 11, 2020, 12:30:26 AM
Good luck once again BH goin thro all this in the midst of all the craziness
+1
Hospitals are not equipped to treat stupid

macdanger2

Sounds like you're doing great BH, considering how tough it is. Keep it up

illdecide

Well done BH, great to hear some positive news during this difficult time. Just keep giving us the positive and good news.

Ambrose

Inspirational stuff BH, keep it up.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                         
You can't live off history and tradition forever

Ball Hopper

Part 2 finishes with 2 radiation sessions this coming week (26 and 27 May), as does lighter chemo treatment.  It went really quickly and was easy enough on me for the most part.  Daily sessions had me averaging about an hour from leaving home to back in the door...the sessions were 15 minutes max in the treatment room, and usually under 10.

Weight gain summary: from chemo 2 to start of radiation I lost 9 lbs/ 4 kg.  Since start of radiation on 22 April I have lost another 6 lbs/2.7 kg.  I'll probably be down another 2lbs/1 kg this week, but overall the weight loss has not been drastic.  I'll probably put a few back on between radiation ending and surgery.

All blood tests that are important are back above the normal person's low threshold which was excellent news.  Glucose levels better as well, but still high, well above normal high levels.

As expected, diarrhea/dehydration/extreme fatigue kicked in after session 10.  Started OTC meds immediately and moved on to prescription meds after session 13.  I'm glad to report that the meds and a balanced diet meant that, once again, I was fortunate to avoid severe side effects.  A reasonable measure is how often one is up at night for bathroom attendance.  2 visits in any night is the most I've had thus far and I'm currently on five nights in a row with zero. 

The side effects may last a few weeks after radiation ends, but will ease almost daily with continued meds over diminishing doses (it seems it's a very bad idea to stop these meds suddenly).  As you might guess, I'm very happy with minimal bathroom visits. 

Over the next few weeks I'll be getting info on Part 3, surgery.  No specific dates have been set for either the surgery or the necessary scans and meetings beforehand.  I'll have a list of questions to help me prepare better and hopefully there will be no surprises from the scans.

Will update again in mid-June when Part 3 plans can be discussed. 

Thanks again for all the notes and words of encouragement.

omochain

Fair play to you man ... you are handle this with a lot of openness, honesty, strength and dignity.. the best of luck with the rest of the journey. I am with you all the way.. and good fortune to you and yours

Milltown Row2

All of these posts are encouraging and fill me with dread equally! Your strength is immense and outlook is positive. I've read each post several times to try and prepare in my head the path that my dad may have to take, I know these things can be different for different types of cancers but I'll know more on Wednesday when I take my dad to the consultant in the Royal.

Keep us updated as you progress BH
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

illdecide

Quote from: omochain on May 25, 2020, 03:42:01 AM
Fair play to you man ... you are handle this with a lot of openness, honesty, strength and dignity.. the best of luck with the rest of the journey. I am with you all the way.. and good fortune to you and yours

+1 Top man BH

macdanger2

Continued good luck BH, you're flying it