Car Insurance!!!!!

Started by balladmaker, January 21, 2010, 07:18:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

balladmaker

Last weekend I went on to confused.com to look for car insurance, the best quote of £314, so clicked to purchase the insurance online.

I was directed through to the website of Budget Insurance, where the £314 was displayed again.  I confirmed my details, car make, no claims bonus etc. etc. and chose the payment method i.e. my credit card. 

All was fine, until I received the policy document within a couple of minutes of completing the transaction.  It stated in the policy document that my card would be charged £623 'as agreed'!!!

When I got on the phone to Budget Insurance, they could see the history of my purchase on their site etc. but stated that I had agreed to pay £623.  This was complete bull, I sent them a capture of the confused.com site which they refused to take into consideration.  So I immediately cancelled the policy.  They refunded me the full payment, apart from £20, which they claimed is an admin charge to cancel the policy.

Question 1:  As the policy was being cancelled within the 14 day cooling off period, have they a right to charge a cancellation fee?
Question 2: Am I within my rights to have the credit card company refund the full amount, under standard credit card protection, citing the mis-sold policy?

Hardy

I'd say it'd be worth a try.

What bothers me more, though, is that you accepted the initial amount you were quoted.

Ya don't wanna do that! as that Harry Enfield character said. The initial quote always has a haggle allowance built in. Call them up, tell them you have a quote of  say 20% less and haggle, haggle, haggle. They'll always come down and you have nothing to lose. After two calls when they won't come down any further, you know you have their real price.

pintsofguinness

I didnt know until recently you can cancel any credit card payment - a card payment doesnt clear for about 3 working days. 
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

balladmaker

QuoteWhat bothers me more, though, is that you accepted the initial amount you were quoted.

Ya don't wanna do that! as that Harry Enfield character said. The initial quote always has a haggle allowance built in. Call them up, tell them you have a quote of  say 20% less and haggle, haggle, haggle. They'll always come down and you have nothing to lose. After two calls when they won't come down any further, you know you have their real price.

Believe me, I phoned around the usual suspects for quotes which were all coming in over the £400 mark, so was just delighted to see a quote at £314.  Ended up getting it for £321 through Tesco.

Puckoon

Is that for a whole year? or 6 months.

My insurance is up now at the end of the month and they want $580 for the 6 months.

Family guy

Car insurance is a scam and a load of balls,was in the states for 2 years and as such had no car insurance out,returned last week and went to insure a car so rang quinn direct to renew my policy,only for them to tell me that since ive been away for 2 years that i have lost my 6 years no claims bonus i had built up and that i had to start from the begining again,robbing pricks

balladmaker

QuoteIs that for a whole year? or 6 months.

For 12 months.

Car insurance is nothing but legalised robbery.  You have to have it, but once you try claiming they will do everything in their power to find a loophole to prevent them paying up.  Absolute joke!

BenDover

When you do get a quote that your happy enough with you should also try a few cashback websites to see if that insurer is listed and therefore make money on taking out the insurance.

screenexile

Don't go near Quinn Direct I'd say... Been working in Insurance for 2 months now and that's the main thing I learned. They will fall over themselves and offer ridiculous prices to get business but they will do ANYTHING to get out of a claim! Beware!!

ha ha derry

If you are a Bank of Ireland customer give them a call for insurance they have a deal going with Hughes insurance. Will match lowest price plus put £40 into your account.

Joxer

Who is the best company to go look at?

Mine is up now and I am on the lookout.

bennydorano

I got a mighty deal for my car insurance through the Post Office (via gocompare.com)  Just renewed by house insurance today through gocompare again saving a right bit - I did notice that my original quote disappeared sharpish once you were redirected from gocompare to the relevant website.  2 good deals, hopefully I'll not have to find out how good a deal they really are!

Brick Tamlin

i got a letter (as i expected) from quinn direct there last week stating that they were not able to offer me a renewal policy when my current one expires at the end of the month.
I then today got another letter now stating that they are delighted to be able to offer me a renewal of my policy when it expires. All this in the space of ten days, why the turn around, what should i do?

Jimmy

My insurance is now up at the end of May. Am currently with Open & Direct and the renewal price came in dearer than last year. Has anyone else experienced this. Apparently car insurance has gone up this year generally.

However, went into a place close to work at lunch time and got quoted a price of £360 compared to the £414 of my renewal price so I was happy enough with that. However they first quoted £518 but were soon able to find something else when I told them the price I already had. Will change over this month. Am also going to forget about the direct debit this year and just pay all in one go. It was an extra £40-50 just to pay monthly!

supersarsfields

Quote from: Brick Tamlin on May 12, 2010, 06:34:26 PM
i got a letter (as i expected) from quinn direct there last week stating that they were not able to offer me a renewal policy when my current one expires at the end of the month.
I then today got another letter now stating that they are delighted to be able to offer me a renewal of my policy when it expires. All this in the space of ten days, why the turn around, what should i do?

The regulator had stopped the UK and NI markets for a short period of time until they worked out that they were actually profitable.

Now they have removed the restriction which should never have been put in place in the first place hence why they can now offer the renewal. But I wouldn't get excited as they still forcing QD to increase premiums by over 50% so the chances of it being competitive are slim!