Leinster Senior Hurling Championship 2020

Started by G@@, March 03, 2020, 09:42:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

portlaoisekid

So when is the selection committee in place?

Rumours abound at the moment, sooner this moves along the better...

Keyser Söze

It's in these vacuums that a full time Director of S&C would be handy as a liaison with the 2020 panel.
A manager wouldn't have huge personal input into designing a training Programme/loading/testing etc at this time of the year anyways.
Would M. Dempsey consider this role for a short period? And perhaps an involvement in finding/assessing suitable candidates . Expecting that he'd take the job is probably a step too far unfortunately, but could open the door to the likes of Herrity? He has good work done in Kildare, but despite what happened with Eddie everybody gets tempted when an offer to work higher up the chain comes along!

Taking their time & Appointing someone who feels they are 2-3 weeks behind in preparation is a hell of a lot more desirable than appointing someone in a hurry who puts us back 2-3 years.
As long as the taking their time doesn't translate to offering the job to everyone and anyone, being turned down and offering it to others. That sort of thing gets out fairly quickly and they/we can't afford any further brand damage!

I think you can safely rule an internal candidate out. I'd have been an advocate of Arien Delaney the last few times it came up, but his post Camross record has been fairly ordinary.
There are no outstanding candidates.
Hard to see Diarmuid Mullins giving up his current position in the queue in Limerick. Not to mind the prospect of moving from an "all you can eat" type set up to a "coupons & bargain bin" one.
Minor manager in Limerick, with a rich supply, big pull and most likely huge resources must be a fantastic gig to have.

Anyone on the media circuit won't work. We aren't attractive enough, and can't afford to make it worth their while to drop those gigs and take up a much more time consuming and challenging role.
Cusack, Daly, Donoghue, Cummins etc are non runners.
Ken Hogan seems to pick his jobs very cleverly. He's never taken the Offaly job despite being offered it several times. I can't see how we'd be more attractive at the moment when you weight up the likelihood of failing/succeeding.
Lynskey was apparently very close to the Offaly job last year. Either choosing not to take it or being snubbed for Fennelly. Whatever happened here could be a good indication of whether he'd be interested or not!

Herrity, Lynskey, Lally or Gleeson. In that order for me.

Somebody with some reputation of success is needed in order to be strong enough to
A) Identify & Hold onto what has worked well over the last few years (without feeling undermined)
B) Withstand early comparisons to Brennan (from both inside & outside the camp).
and
C) Establish a relationship with LCB that serves Laois hurling. Neither accepting of poor standards or in eternal conflict. Not being totally unreasonable nor being a yes man.

I'd have thought they'd have had a selection committee by now tbh.
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled.......

redsetanta

Good post Keyser.

It would be great if Mick Dempsey could be brought in. Vast knowledge and experience and would command respect. The idea that he could get involved straight away and then maybe work with whatever manager is appointed makes sense to me but whether i does to Mick or the CB is another question.
The real glory is being knocked to your knees and then coming back. That's real glory. VinceLombardi

High Fielder

All things considered, Brennan, funding and the relative strength of our player pool, I do wonder sometimes what the end goal is. Win a Provincial? Seems very unlikely. Just be as good as you can be? What does that even mean? There's a pointlessness to all of this that gets harder to accept with each passing year and disappointment. Whoever follows Brennan, after all he exposed, would need to think long and hard about his future. Brennan did right to jump and I wouldn't blame Quirke if he did likewise. Sad to say, but you have to be realistic.

I have an expectation of a very quick appointment here. Anything/anyone to get the issue off the table. Fire fighting. The same happened with and after Sugrue. Are all these progressive young coaches wrong? Just keep putting the hamster on the wheel

Helix.

Quote from: portlaoisekid on November 26, 2020, 11:29:33 AM
So when is the selection committee in place?

Rumours abound at the moment, sooner this moves along the better...

Probably get someone like Colm Bonnar to plug a gap for a year or 2. Will be interesting who if any internally in Laois would be interested.

burdizzo

What's the chances of a straight swap - Carlow get Brennan, we get Bonnar?!!
Some are saying the Dublin job is a done-deal for him, though. Brennan, that is...

Blow-in

Dublin don't take mouth pieces. Won't happen.

thegreeenandgold

Cork a bastion of Financial probity,  20 Million over 4-5 years in a pandemic.  Maybe not widely overspending on a Stadium might have been a better idea.   Don't think Eddie goes to Dublin but stranger things have happened. 

blueandwhite1

Quote from: High Fielder on November 26, 2020, 04:07:07 PM
All things considered, Brennan, funding and the relative strength of our player pool, I do wonder sometimes what the end goal is. Win a Provincial? Seems very unlikely. Just be as good as you can be? What does that even mean? There's a pointlessness to all of this that gets harder to accept with each passing year and disappointment. Whoever follows Brennan, after all he exposed, would need to think long and hard about his future. Brennan did right to jump and I wouldn't blame Quirke if he did likewise. Sad to say, but you have to be realistic.

To be the best we can be is worthwhile always. To be the best of the 'Joe McDonagh' standard teams - who are all fine teams and play some great hurling. To be able to take a scalp every 2-3 years so that teams are wary of us. To maybe challenge for a provincial once every 10 years. This might be as good as we get but it is worth every bit of it to see Laois hurling people with their heads held high and kids wanting to hurl for Laois. Even with our small pool of players we can do much better. Who knows what the future holds if you can eventually get more hurling into places like Portlaoise and maybe the north of the county. No need for dejection. Lots of counties and inter-county hurlers would love to be in the position we are in.

clonadmad

Quote from: High Fielder on November 26, 2020, 04:07:07 PM

I have an expectation of a very quick appointment here. Anything/anyone to get the issue off the table. Fire fighting. The same happened with and after Sugrue. Are all these progressive young coaches wrong? Just keep putting the hamster on the wheel

Your right

Let's not bother

The likes of the Cavan and Tipperary football communities should do the same and every other underdog who ever pulled on a jersey,

Ditto with club football in laois

High Fielder

Fair points. I guess we need all our players playing, at the very least, to get anywhere near that. No doubt some won't commit now Brennan has gone. Some already didn't anyway. I don't think Tipp or Cavan are missing too many.

clonadmad

Quote from: High Fielder on November 27, 2020, 10:45:10 AM
Fair points. I guess we need all our players playing, at the very least, to get anywhere near that. No doubt some won't commit now Brennan has gone. Some already didn't anyway. I don't think Tipp or Cavan are missing too many.

Peter Acheson is in Dubai
Liam Mc Grath Australia all ireland minor captain in 2011
Josh Keane Australia young footballer of the year nominee in 2016
John Meagher left to join the hurlers this year

All would be starters

And as a tipp football fan reminded this week,of his top 10 footballers playing club football there, he says only 3 are playing county football,the likes of john Brian Mcgrath and Seamus Kennedy are all gone to the hurlers

We have 2 main issues with Laois Hurling

Governance

And

Culture

We have a lot of the supporters thinking we were great to get so close to to Clare

We weren't

We should have beaten them and that's the reality

Brennan came into Laois with an outsiders perspective and had a lot more belief in our lads than many within the county

Laois Rising

On a random sidenote I see that Dunamase College in Portlaoise will treble in size over the next few years to over 1000 students with its new school. With its location and future size there is massive potential/opportunity here for Laois GAA to tap into and help revitalise GAA in the town. Obviously the school would have to come onboard with the idea, but if a Portlaoise specific GDA was link up with the school and put the correct structures in place it could be one step in the right direction of revitalising hurling within the town.