Depression

Started by Eamonnca1, October 25, 2013, 09:11:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eamonnca1

If you're not into dogs, try cats. Mine saved me a few years ago.

There's even research that says that the sound of a cat purring on your lap can lower your heart rate and help you relax. My cat is always happy to see me when I come home. I have a wife now but when I was single the cat was a godsend. It was nice to have this animal waiting for me at day's end.

Taylor

Quote from: paddyjohn on December 19, 2018, 07:00:07 PM
*Bump*

Christmas is hard for a lot of people, keep an eye for your family & friends.

The last month or 6 weeks have been hard for me, thankfully I'm getting through it.

It's good to talk folks.

Good man PJ.
Keep the head up and as the lads/ladies here have said no matter how hard it may seem talk to someone about it.
Costs nothing but definitely helps

general

For anyone on Facebook, get yourself on a page called "Ask Dave".

A lad of about 25 set it up some time ago, as a support for anyone feeling down, depressed or just down right P8shed off. I met the young lad out the other night while doing the once yearly festive 12 pubs and had a craic with him, great lad all together.

tintin25

First Xmas in a long time and I seriously have no motivation to do anything.  Majority of mates are all married and have kids, so the nights out will be few and far between.  Trying to keep active for e.g. gym but it's hard not to have periods where you get abit 'down' during this time of year.

Jeepers Creepers

Lads, I cannot recommend being out in the fresh air enough. If your lucky enough to live beside a river, hills/mountains or woodland. Birds, trees plants & nosies all proven to be a great distraction from every day life. A public park if your inner city. Get yourself a rain coat and flask of tea and a few sarnies and head out. Trust me, its a world away.

Taylor

Quote from: tintin25 on December 20, 2018, 12:25:46 PM

First Xmas in a long time and I seriously have no motivation to do anything.  Majority of mates are all married and have kids, so the nights out will be few and far between.  Trying to keep active for e.g. gym but it's hard not to have periods where you get abit 'down' during this time of year.

have you looked into another hobby or interest to widen your spectrum of friends or people to mingle with?
More than yourself like this at the time of year.

Failing that speak to your mates - regardless of their circumstances they will make time for you

tintin25

Quote from: Taylor on December 20, 2018, 01:14:08 PM

have you looked into another hobby or interest to widen your spectrum of friends or people to mingle with?

Failing that speak to your mates - regardless of their circumstances they will make time for you

To be honest, I do keep myself active and whilst I have decent network of friends it can get quite lonely at the weekends especially if you've nothing else on and everyone else is doing there own thing.  I guess at this point in my life (early/mid thirties) I thought I would have been married/have kids etc.  My twenties came and went in a flash and I probably enjoyed the single life too much.  Guess it just hits you abit when you see everyone else settled.  That's not to say I'm unhappy and appreciate there are people in relationships who are unhappy and it's purely a convenience thing, but this time of year just gets me thinking about what I shouldda/couldda done re previous relationships.  Life certainly doesn't go in the straight line you expect it to when you're younger!

BennyCake

Another thing that lifts your mood no end is pop on a stand up dvd. An hour of Billy Connolly would do you the power of good. Other comedians are available.

Anyone considered baking? Not much good at it but I'm sure a few scones, buns or apple tart is doable for most of us. Then pop your results round to family and friends. It's a good excuse to call in, see people, arrange something for later etc. Plus, you can have a good laugh with folk when your results turn out disastrous!

Insane Bolt

Quote from: tintin25 on December 20, 2018, 01:53:26 PM
Quote from: Taylor on December 20, 2018, 01:14:08 PM

To be honest, I do keep myself active and whilst I have decent network of friends it can get quite lonely at the weekends especially if you've nothing else on and everyone else is doing there own thing.  I guess at this point in my life (early/mid thirties) I thought I would have been married/have kids etc.  My twenties came and went in a flash and I probably enjoyed the single life too much.  Guess it just hits you abit when you see everyone else settled.  That's not to say I'm unhappy and appreciate there are people in relationships who are unhappy and it's purely a convenience thing, but this time of year just gets me thinking about what I shouldda/couldda done re previous relationships.  Life certainly doesn't go in the straight line you expect it to when you're younger!

Have you tried doing some volunteer work? It's great to remind me how lucky I am and how much I take for granted. Amazing the people you meet. Keep the chin up.....as the saying goes....if it's for you it will not go by you.

Cunny Funt

Dublin footballer Shane Carthy on his experiences with depression. His intention is to share a message to those who are suffering in silence that there is hope for you and you are not alone on this journey

https://scarthyblog.home.blog/2018/12/19/im-no-longer-surviving-im-living/

paddyjohn

Wife was out tonight with work, In laws had the kids so I took the chance to go for a dander and ended up in a mates house with a pot of tea and a pool table. Craic was serious and some memories were brought up.

It did me a world of good and although there was a few tears from us all about what's happened, it's proved that we are all there together.

Eamonnca1

Quote from: BennyCake on December 20, 2018, 02:01:40 PM
Another thing that lifts your mood no end is pop on a stand up dvd. An hour of Billy Connolly would do you the power of good. Other comedians are available.

Anyone considered baking? Not much good at it but I'm sure a few scones, buns or apple tart is doable for most of us. Then pop your results round to family and friends. It's a good excuse to call in, see people, arrange something for later etc. Plus, you can have a good laugh with folk when your results turn out disastrous!

I used to make soda farls and give a few extras to the girl next door. She was always happy to receive them, fresh from the griddle. A good excuse to meet the neighbours in a place where neighbours don't always mingle much.

spuds

Interestingly blog article from Dub player Shane Carthy from Naomh MearnĂ³g outlining his experiences.

https://scarthyblog.home.blog/2018/12/19/im-no-longer-surviving-im-living/
"As I get older I notice the years less and the seasons more."
John Hubbard

paddyjohn

Happy New Year lads & ladies. Keep talking, keep smiling and don't let anything stand in your way.

Insane Bolt

Quote from: paddyjohn on January 01, 2019, 08:42:03 AM
Happy New Year lads & ladies. Keep talking, keep smiling and don't let anything stand in your way.

👍👍👍