NFL Division 1 - 2020

Started by thejuice, January 07, 2020, 12:18:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

StephenC

Felt like a challenge game at times yesterday. I thought Tyrone looked disinterested and fully expect a much different level of intensity in a couple of weeks.

J70

Quote from: StephenC on October 19, 2020, 06:07:29 PM
Felt like a challenge game at times yesterday. I thought Tyrone looked disinterested and fully expect a much different level of intensity in a couple of weeks.

It was definitely lacking in the tension and aggro you usually get with these two teams. There was hardly a shove or push anywhere.

Angelo

Lack of a crowd?

To me it was reminiscent of the Championship meeting last year, Tyrone with a gaping hole in the middle of their defence and getting savaged in the middle of the pitch.
GAA FUNDING CHEATS CHEAT US ALL

MayoBuck

Quote from: J70 on October 19, 2020, 06:10:45 PM

It was definitely lacking in the tension and aggro you usually get with these two teams. There was hardly a shove or push anywhere.

I thought the same thing looking at Galway v Mayo. No cynical stuff at all.

StephenC

Quote from: Angelo on October 19, 2020, 06:14:28 PM

Lack of a crowd?

To me it was reminiscent of the Championship meeting last year, Tyrone with a gaping hole in the middle of their defence and getting savaged in the middle of the pitch.

I'm sure the lack of a crown made a difference, but I still feel that we'll see a different game when it's knockout.

ONeill

Yeah, McGee didn't have that look in his eyes.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

rosnarun

Quote from: An Fhairche Abu on October 19, 2020, 03:01:34 PM
Quote from: macdanger2 on October 19, 2020, 01:12:41 PM
Any word on Comer's injury? And when is Walsh due back? Without those two, I wouldn't fancy Galway to win Connacht, much less be a worry to Dublin
Worrying Dublin is the absolute last thing on the mind of anyone from Galway, that was a shambles yesterday. Galway had far more fundamental issues in the performance yesterday than the absence of those two players it has to be said.

Comer sounds done for the year going by Joyce's post-match comments and either way he has not had a run of matches injury free in a long, long time. Shane Walsh shipped serious punishment in the Intermediate club championship and is carrying various ankle and knee knocks. Keep him in cotton wool until he absolutely must play.
There's another player that needs to be mentioned in terms of injuries as well, you cannot overstate the loss of John Daly to that team really in my opinion and he is done for the year, he has been a consistent and top performer for Galway since he stepped up to Senior in 2019 at a key position. Even in the poor performance to Mayo in the championship last year, Daly was one of the two or three who played well and kept going despite only being the kid of the team.

James Horan is getting back into the early 2010's groove of handing Galway their arses on a plate, his team have completely outfought and outclassed Galway the last two match ups, while not nice to be on the receiving end of it you've have to say it was superb football from Mayo yesterday, it must have been a joy to watch for Mayo fans and neutrals.

Lads there yesterday that have been talked up to the last for their club exploits, Liam Silke has a reputation from the top class club performances which he simply doesn't deserve at IC level, he's been cleaned a load of times. Leonard wasn't even great for Corofin in the club championship this summer, crazy bringing him into the team in poor form. SAOC was put in an impossible position yesterday, isolated with ball after ball coming in due to failures out the field, but he cannot stop fouling, doesn't look to have it at this level.
I felt fairly bad for O'Donnell and Conroy yesterday who were putting in an effort that wasn't in the slightest matched by their comrades.

If Galway get some of the absent players back you'd expect some performance improvement (it's hard to imagine they could ever play worse than yesterday but then you see what's on the horizon next Sunday) but the kick out strategy has been an ongoing issue for years and even in February and March it was noted as a major problem for this setup still, GK is a vital position in the sport these days and although he was in a shambles yesterday Gleeson was a good shot stopper in the other league games this year. His kick outs were not that hot though and they have not improved at all in the interim.
Ye galway lads are fierce pessimist  don't for get in this competition Galway beat tyrone  2-25 to 0-13  that's a bigger margin than last sunday. I think Joyce ay have been a bit too cute for him self on sunday putting out a poor team and met a mayo team well up for it,
had may lost the same charge could be made at Horan but he seemed to have got it Spot on  #inhoranwetrust even if we don't  always understand
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

An Fhairche Abu

I'd say realist more than pessimist. Galway Tyrone match was very different, while I thought they were the better team on the day Galway only poured on the scores in the final quarter when Tyrone were down to 13 men, McShane got his bad injury that day which was another hammer blow.
In contrast Mayo were well worth their margin the last day when the game was in the melting pot, Galway were way off it and blown away.
It's a long time since March, to be honest if the Galway Mayo game on the 15th March had gone ahead, Galway would probably have won, in better form at the time and had more of their starters, Mayo missing a lot of players in March. It's turned around now though and a lot of Galway's best performers in the league are out for various reasons or in poor form now, Mayo have both players returning and new players who performed well the last day at least.

Galway side was much weaker on Sunday than earlier in the year and it was flagged before the match that Mayo really should be beating the Galway side that was named, however both sides had a lot of new players involved and only the Mayo lads looked tuned in, in form and playing to a plan. First big test for the Joyce mgt team because Galway looked a rabble from the throw in and that match was over after 15/20 minutes.
Obviously we would hope that Galway will not play as badly again, it's up to the players and management to turn it around now but there's no point calling it anything but what it was last Sunday, which was dreadful.

StephenC

Quote from: ONeill on October 22, 2020, 09:45:20 AM

I heard from a reputable source that the most bite in the game was after the final whistle when both teams were expressing to each other how much they were looking forward to the championship encounter.

rosnarun

Quote from: StephenC on October 22, 2020, 11:45:29 AM
Quote from: ONeill on October 22, 2020, 09:45:20 AM

I heard from a reputable source that the most bite in the game was after the final whistle when both teams were expressing to each other how much they were looking forward to the championship encounter.
Sunday will mean very little then,  If Galway can field a near full Strenght team ihey would be sliht Favorite.
at the moment mayo Fans at least have little idea of our bwst starting !% and If horan choose a completely different 15 for tyrone to get a look at every one there would be very few eyebrows raised here mu Guess
  rob hennely

P O'hora barret  chris barret     K higgins
o o donohue     M plunkett       c boyle

Tom parsons    S oshea
Jordan Flynn   R o donoughe  f boland

James Carr Darren coen K mc loughlin

and thats only picking players on the Squad and Not currently injured .

If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

J70

Apparently the Donegal squad and management are all driving down to Kerry individually. :o

Angelo

12 week ban on the way for Rory Brennan, apparently Tyrone are appealing.

The precedent is there with Connolly but then Andy Moran got away without anything a few years back.

It was stupid by Brennan so can't really have much complaints but it does show a complete, if anything Moran probably had the most aggressive contact with a referee in all of the incidents.

I can't see Tyrone beating Mayo this weekend to be honest.

Meath were game enough against Dublin at the weekend so our best bet of survival is probably them pipping Monaghan.

BennyCake

Did they not bring in protocols about distancing and touching officials during Covid?

weareros

Quote from: Angelo on October 22, 2020, 08:41:14 PM

The precedent is there with Connolly but then Andy Moran got away without anything a few years back.

It was stupid by Brennan so can't really have much complaints but it does show a complete, if anything Moran probably had the most aggressive contact with a referee in all of the incidents.

Ah now, Brennan also pushed a blind-sided Murphy's head/neck down. He could have done a serious neck injury with that move. It wasn't just the ref incident.

Brendan

Angelo

Quote from: weareros on October 22, 2020, 09:00:24 PM
Quote from: Angelo on October 22, 2020, 08:41:14 PM

It was just the ref incident he was sent off for. The ref only double backed on him when he put his hand on him.

Serious neck injury????? ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Ah ffs, go play ladies football. Michael Murphy would crease himself laughing at that comment. I knew ye Roscommon lads were soft but seriously?
Ah now, Brennan also pushed a blind-sided Murphy's head/neck down. He could have done a serious neck injury with that move. It wasn't just the ref incident.

Brendan