Semi-Finals: Winners 4, Winners 5, Galway, Wexford
Galway
v

Wexford
v

FINAL

v

burdizzo

Any senior team members on this apart from Padraig Delaney?

blueandwhite1

Quote from: burdizzo on June 20, 2019, 09:00:56 PM
Any senior team members on this apart from Padraig Delaney?

Ciarán Comerford played some senior games last year and got a few minutes against Westmeath. Eoin Gaughan also involved. Dont know of anyone else.

MasterJ

Yeah Eoin Gaughan defiantly plays for them. Would Mark Dowling or Andrew Mortimer be eligible?

Mossy Bruce

Quote from: merman on June 22, 2019, 11:34:20 PM
https://www.laoistoday.ie/2019/06/22/laois-u-20-hurling-team-named-for-leinster-championship-clash-with-kilkenny/

Best of luck to the lads involved.
It's going to be a very tough evening.

From the above article:

"Two Laois senior hurlers – Podge Delaney from The Harps and Eoin Gaughan from Camross – have been named in the Laois U-20 hurling team to face Kilkenny in the opening round of the Leinster hurling championship on Monday night."

And don't get hurt! I'm saying that as a nice guy, a physiotherapist-type, and one who wants to see Westmeath pulverized next Sunday.
LAOIS! LAOIS! LAOIS!

burdizzo

Heh. Almost a carbon-copy of the minor result two years ago: 5-21 to 0-10 (two years ago it was 6-21 to 0-9). A decent first half - 2-8 to 0-6 (1-8 to 0-6 two years ago!) - followed by a couple of silly goals in the second half, followed by complete collapse. What positives to take from it? A lot of our lads have good skill levels, though quite often the final pass let them down. They battled hard, for about 45 minutes, but once the silly goals went in, well - it became a bit of a procession. Like two years ago, Podge Delaney was the best Laois player, but I was also impressed by James Keyes, and Brandon McGinley, before he tired. He made one super catch in the first half. Joe Phelan wasn't afraid to get stuck in, either, and gave a couple of Kilkenny lads something to think about w/ nice shoulders - and he popped over a point for good measure. Kilkenny were bigger, faster, and pacier than us. Will certainly win Leinster.

blueandwhite1

Good assessment of the match Burdizzo.

I left the match strangely happy with much of what I saw. Some of the Laois players were extremely skillful and matched their opponents even though we were way smaller in stature. The more developed players like Podge Delaney easily held their own. We seemed to win the ball in nearly every tuck which is unusual for a Laois team hurling Kilkenny and we won a lot of balls in the air. Our possession was actually very good. We struggled physically up front and were very easily pushed over when going for scores. We had no big ball winner in the forwards that could turn and score. Therefore we had zero goal threat and couldn't break tackles to get shots in. We did show that we have a few lads that will add to the senior set up in the future if they develop physically. James Keyes, Brandon McGinley, the Comerfords, Liam Senior, Joe Phelan all have loads of talent.

In fairness to the full team, they hurled their hearts out and were competitive right into the middle of the second half. Would imagine quite a few are U20 next year too.

clonadmad

Quote from: burdizzo on June 24, 2019, 09:46:50 PM
Heh. Almost a carbon-copy of the minor result two years ago: 5-21 to 0-10 (two years ago it was 6-21 to 0-9). A decent first half - 2-8 to 0-6 (1-8 to 0-6 two years ago!) - followed by a couple of silly goals in the second half, followed by complete collapse. What positives to take from it? A lot of our lads have good skill levels, though quite often the final pass let them down. They battled hard, for about 45 minutes, but once the silly goals went in, well - it became a bit of a procession. Like two years ago, Podge Delaney was the best Laois player, but I was also impressed by James Keyes, and Brandon McGinley, before he tired. He made one super catch in the first half. Joe Phelan wasn't afraid to get stuck in, either, and gave a couple of Kilkenny lads something to think about w/ nice shoulders - and he popped over a point for good measure. Kilkenny were bigger, faster, and pacier than us. Will certainly win Leinster.

I'd have Galway and probably Dublin well ahead of Kilkenny in Leinster at this level

burdizzo

Oh, hadn't realised Galway were in Leinster now. In that case, it might be different, all right.

clonadmad

Quote from: burdizzo on June 25, 2019, 02:05:58 PM
Oh, hadn't realised Galway were in Leinster now. In that case, it might be different, all right.

Dublin have been in the last 3 leinster Minor finals,winning 2

Galway have their 2 in a row all ireland minor outfit coming through at u20

blueandwhite1

Kilkenny have very much copied the Galway / Tipp / Limerick model for developing hurlers.

Their U20 side were huge bar a couple. All tall, sturdy, pacey lads. DJ Carey was on the sideline and I was wondering if a lad of his stature would get a look in these days (of course he would) Intercounty is becoming a big-man's game. A bit like the backs in rugby.

Don Draper

Quote from: blueandwhite1 on June 25, 2019, 02:24:45 PM
Kilkenny have very much copied the Galway / Tipp / Limerick model for developing hurlers.

Their U20 side were huge bar a couple. All tall, sturdy, pacey lads. DJ Carey was on the sideline and I was wondering if a lad of his stature would get a look in these days (of course he would) Intercounty is becoming a big-man's game. A bit like the backs in rugby.
Kilkenny were producing big hurlers long before Galway Tipp or Limerick ever did.

clonadmad

Quote from: Don Draper on June 25, 2019, 02:26:40 PM

Kilkenny were producing big hurlers long before Galway Tipp or Limerick ever did.

Kilkenny for the Hurlers,Tipperary for the men was a saying long before your time,Don

Don Draper

Quote from: clonadmad on June 25, 2019, 02:51:54 PM
Quote from: Don Draper on June 25, 2019, 02:26:40 PM

Kilkenny for the Hurlers,Tipperary for the men was a saying long before your time,Don
These Johnny come latelys, you couldn't be dealing with them.