Teachers get it handy!

Started by wherefromreferee?, June 20, 2008, 08:49:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Milltown Row2

Quote from: hardstation on April 30, 2019, 11:11:07 PM
Their prerogative. There are those who say they should be fcuked out of the union.

It's just when you said that your wife "didn't notice one difference" and that she's still doing the same things, it seemed like it wasn't her choice.
It's going on about 2 years or so I think.

Getting fucked out of the union would be a pay rise right away
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

manfromdelmonte

Quote from: Angelo on April 30, 2019, 10:07:30 PM
Teachers are the most insufferable poormouths you could ever come across. They work a part time job with a decent wage, pension benefits, extended holidays a secure job and they somehow think they are some sort of victims. There's a reason why they rarely change career.
It's very hard to get out of teaching once in the door.
It's like they say in the Shawshank Redemption. You become institutionalised

Jim Bob

Quote from: Owen Brannigan on April 30, 2019, 09:14:58 PM
Quote from: Dougal Maguire on April 30, 2019, 07:08:28 PM
Teachers' pay is an absolute joke and they pay rise they're being offered is useless. I'm a Civil Servant and earn over £10K more than my wife who's a teacher. I'd say half the staff in Tesco get paid more

Really! NICS pay must be great.

Here are the teacher pay scales for teachers who have not been awarded a promotion. Any teacher can progress up through this scale over 9 years, just look at the annual increments.

Currently Tesco workers are paid £7.62 an hour, which will rise to £8.42 an hour by November 2018. The pay rise will put Tesco workers' pay above the £7.90 level that the National Living Wage is expected to reach by 2018. (23 Jun 2017)

I think teachers need to realise how fortunate they really are compared to the average in N.Ireland. In 2017, average weekly wages in Northern Ireland was £501, up 1.5 per cent from £494 in 2016. Annual salaries in the north, at £25,999, are still lower than the UK average of £28,758.

So you are on 38 odd grand at 31 years of age if you are lucky enough to get a full time job when you come out of college (which most aren't by the way). What after that ? Prospects of any decent pay rises are grim and your career is only starting off...

marty34

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on April 30, 2019, 11:23:38 PM
Quote from: hardstation on April 30, 2019, 11:11:07 PM
Their prerogative. There are those who say they should be fcuked out of the union.

It's going on about 2 years or so I think.

The modern world don't see the union like it was when I was a nipper. A proper full on strike, would in the short term caused havoc but would it have been better than this two year+ malarkey?

Either way, kids are still being taught, and schools are still achieving decent results, I'm still wondering how this strike action is making life easier for the teacher? She still brings marking home, still has classes and subjects to teach and under the same pressure to get results but for lesser money than a civil servant doing 9-5

Most important thing is kids are happy to go to school and are good socially.

Too much results based and grading and all this waffle in primary schools these days.  Kids getting tutored twice a week to get into certain schools etc.

A contradiction in itself - getting tutored to get into a certain secondary school.

Angelo

She still brings marking home, still has classes and subjects to teach and under the same pressure to get results but for lesser money than a civil servant doing 9-5

A civil sevrant will probably be have about twice the standard working hours in a year as a teacher and to which grades of civil servant do you refer to? Entry level civil servants?
GAA FUNDING CHEATS CHEAT US ALL

michaelg

Quote from: Angelo on May 01, 2019, 07:02:30 AM

She still brings marking home, still has classes and subjects to teach and under the same pressure to get results but for lesser money than a civil servant doing 9-5

A civil sevrant will probably be have about twice the standard working hours in a year as a teacher and to which grades of civil servant do you refer to? Entry level civil servants?
I would severely doubt that.  Teachers get around 12 - 13 weeks off a year admittedly, but many would work a significant number of hours  during those weeks off.  Given that many teachers would generally working 55 hours or so in any given week, not sure where you are getting your figures from.

Angelo

Quote from: michaelg on May 01, 2019, 07:10:08 AM

I would severely doubt that.  Teachers get around 12 - 13 weeks off a year admittedly, but many would work a significant number of hours  during those weeks off.  Given that many teachers would generally working 55 hours or so in any given week, not sure where you are getting your figures from.

Teachers are not working 55 hours a week, I've lived with them, I know some. This is the type of myths perpetuated by them and their associates to garner sympathy but it's a complete untruth.

giveherlong

Come on now. This is the NI Civil Service you are talking about...

manfromdelmonte

Quote from: Angelo on May 01, 2019, 07:17:58 AM

Teachers are not working 55 hours a week, I've lived with them, I know some. This is the type of myths perpetuated by them and their associates to garner sympathy but it's a complete untruth.
Some are
Working with children is very tiring.
Dealing with the parents can be a misery.
Down here we seem to have a new initiative for schools every month and generally all they do is cause hassle and take away from quality teaching time with the children.

Angelo

Quote from: manfromdelmonte on May 01, 2019, 07:55:14 AM

Some are
Down here we seem to have a new initiative for schools every month and generally all they do is cause hassle and take away from quality teaching time with the children.

Why do teachers think they are unique in having to deal with certain aspects of work which they find frustrating/counter productive? Teachers seem to benchmark workplace practices against their utopian view of what they feel should be an easy, well paid part time job with summers off every year. The sense of entitlement is off the chain.

You don't see many of them going for career changes and what does that tell you?

north_antrim_hound

Some are

Working with other grown ups can be very tiring
Teachers don't have to confront parents directly very often
If new initiative means having to diversify with changing times then try engineering or practically any job
There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets

Franko

Quote from: delgany on April 30, 2019, 09:51:14 PM
Quote from: Owen Brannigan on April 30, 2019, 09:14:58 PM
Quote from: Dougal Maguire on April 30, 2019, 07:08:28 PM
Teachers' pay is an absolute joke and they pay rise they're being offered is useless. I'm a Civil Servant and earn over £10K more than my wife who's a teacher. I'd say half the staff in Tesco get paid more

Really! NICS pay must be great.

Here are the teacher pay scales for teachers who have not been awarded a promotion. Any teacher can progress up through this scale over 9 years, just look at the annual increments.

Currently Tesco workers are paid £7.62 an hour, which will rise to £8.42 an hour by November 2018. The pay rise will put Tesco workers' pay above the £7.90 level that the National Living Wage is expected to reach by 2018. (23 Jun 2017)

I think teachers need to realise how fortunate they really are compared to the average in N.Ireland. In 2017, average weekly wages in Northern Ireland was £501, up 1.5 per cent from £494 in 2016. Annual salaries in the north, at £25,999, are still lower than the UK average of £28,758.

It takes 12 years to get to top of pay scale
M1 to M6   takes 6 years
UPS 1 TO 3  takes 6 years  - two years per point !

Are you serious.  It "takes" 12 years!

In any other profession (certainly in the private sector) you have to EARN a pay rise.  Not just get it by default because you turn up.

If anything sums up the bubble that teachers live in it's this comment.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Angelo on May 01, 2019, 08:53:46 AM

Some are

Why do teachers think they are unique in having to deal with certain aspects of work which they find frustrating/counter productive? Teachers seem to benchmark workplace practices against their utopian view of what they feel should be an easy, well paid part time job with summers off every year. The sense of entitlement is off the chain.

You don't see many of them going for career changes and what does that tell you?

Sweeping statement but go ahead..

The utopian view I think you are talking about is smaller classes better teaching less paperwork and less stress, will improve teaching standards and produce better students, less time off due to stress and and in the long run save money.

The summer off as you put it is 6 weeks. There is no way you'll encourage anyone with a degree to do teaching if such things like good pay good holidays were taken away.

My wife has completely discouraged our kids from being teachers, and this from a daughter of a teacher. Why has it become so stressful? I'd a client in the other day an ex teacher and he gave me some stat (whether its true or not) but, the life expectancy of a teacher who stops working at retirement age is on average 4 years, a teacher that stops just 5 years earlier is 17 years!

I worked with classes of 15/16, far easier managed and no stress, but I took that career change you say never happens and havent looked back ;)
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

trailer

What benefits come with being a teacher? Obviously they get great holidays but Pensions, health insurance etc? What is the value of those? Looking at a base line figure of salary actually distracts from the overall package. I would think they are fairly well reimbursed.

Mike Tyson

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on May 01, 2019, 09:18:51 AM
Quote from: Angelo on May 01, 2019, 08:53:46 AM

Some are

Sweeping statement but go ahead..

The utopian view I think you are talking about is smaller classes better teaching less paperwork and less stress, will improve teaching standards and produce better students, less time off due to stress and and in the long run save money.

The summer off as you put it is 6 weeks. There is no way you'll encourage anyone with a degree to do teaching if such things like good pay good holidays were taken away.

My wife has completely discouraged our kids from being teachers, and this from a daughter of a teacher. Why has it become so stressful? I'd a client in the other day an ex teacher and he gave me some stat (whether its true or not) but, the life expectancy of a teacher who stops working at retirement age is on average 4 years, a teacher that stops just 5 years earlier is 17 years!

I worked with classes of 15/16, far easier managed and no stress, but I took that career change you say never happens and havent looked back ;)

Going to call BS on that one.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-18952037