Soccer goals that are overrated...

Started by tintin25, October 03, 2007, 04:59:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tintin25

Ricky Villa - 1981 FA.Cup Final replay. Completely overrated!

5 Sams

Even though it is one of my favourite goals of all time because of what it meant...Cantona's winner V Liverpoo in the 1996 Cup Final was a complete fluke.
The Aristocrat Years

Rossie11

tintin25

Quote from: Rossie11 on October 03, 2007, 05:02:09 PM
Carlos alberto 1970 world Cup final.

Is that the one with the huge build up of passes?

Bord na Mona man

Michael Owen vs Argentina 1998.
The Argie defence opens like the Red Sea and the English pundits are comparing it to Maradona '86!

Chrisowc

Quote from: Bord na Mona man on October 03, 2007, 05:47:16 PM
Michael Owen vs Argentina 1998.
The Argie defence opens like the Red Sea and the English pundits are comparing it to Maradona '86!

I suppose that does make it overrated but still an outstanding goal.

George Best's mazy run in America against a load of bums.
it's 'circle the wagons time again' here comes the cavalry!

thebandit

Rossie11

QuoteIs that the one with the huge build up of passes?
Yeah thats the one. Never thought much of it. Especially the overhype of the final pass.. Just cause it was Pele.

The argentina goal in the last world cup was far better as a team goal.

turk

The goal where Pele headered it to Gordon Banks from two yards out in 1970 - wait it wasn't even a goal!!

Chrisowc

Quote from: Rossie11 on October 04, 2007, 09:56:33 AM
QuoteIs that the one with the huge build up of passes?
Yeah thats the one. Never thought much of it. Especially the overhype of the final pass.. Just cause it was Pele.

The argentina goal in the last world cup was far better as a team goal.

The context of each goal here needs to be remembered.  That Brazil team is still regarded by many as the greatest.  It was 1970 and in colour.  It was probably the only football seen on TV apart from the Cup Final and MOTD.  The goal scored by Argentina may or may not be remembered in 40 years time.  If they had gone on to win the world cup in the style that the Brazilian team had done then it definately would have been.
it's 'circle the wagons time again' here comes the cavalry!

Bord na Mona man

Quote from: turk on October 04, 2007, 10:03:37 AM
The goal where Pele headered it to Gordon Banks from two yards out in 1970 - wait it wasn't even a goal!!
Supposedly that was the greatest save ever.
I can't see why myself.
Pele missed a load of sitters in his career!

Rossie11

QuoteThe context of each goal here needs to be remembered.  That Brazil team is still regarded by many as the greatest.  It was 1970 and in colour.  It was probably the only football seen on TV apart from the Cup Final and MOTD.  The goal scored by Argentina may or may not be remembered in 40 years time.  If they had gone on to win the world cup in the style that the Brazilian team had done then it definitely would have been.
Thats why i think its over rated. Misty eyed sentimentality.

MauriceMalpas

Quote from: 5 Sams on October 03, 2007, 05:01:28 PM
Even though it is one of my favourite goals of all time because of what it meant...Cantona's winner V Liverpoo in the 1996 Cup Final was a complete fluke.
Come again?? The goal itself was a class goal with great technique. The way he adjusted his position to volley that ball as it was behind him was diff class. It wasnt an ambituous dig from 40 yards you're talking about here.

Declan

Ronnie Whelan's shin volley v USSR 1988 Euro championships.

Carlos Alberto's goal was absolutely fantastic

MauriceMalpas

Quote from: Declan on October 04, 2007, 10:33:49 AM
Ronnie Whelan's shin volley v USSR 1988 Euro championships.
True but the way he launched himself into the air to volley was spectacular so it overriides the shining.