Hurling 2024

Started by seafoid, January 01, 2023, 08:24:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kidder81

Quote from: Capt Pat on May 07, 2023, 11:25:40 PM
Donal og Cusack was on the sunday game tonight giving out about the fact that none of the big hurling games are being televised by RTE and hurling is losing out on a lot of exposure and the chance to recruit more people to the game. I think he may have a point.

I am on here talking to myself after a weekend of hurling games. Problem is nobody has seen the games. I am grown up and can fork out for the games if I want but a young kid who might want to watch hurling is reliant on parents who may or may not be hurling people to pay for gaa go. 

Pay per view for an amateur game like hurling does not seem quite right. I wonder who is making money from the gaa go.

Just on the point of Donal Og, he made a point about his nephew that is the same in my house. My son plays Gaelic football and hurling, he could recognise David Clifford & TJ Reid maybe but because of FIFA On the PS he could name pretty much every premier league player.

Hoof Hearted

A football man myself but love the wee ball, and Donal Og is 100%
Treble 6 Nations Fantasy Rugby champion 2008, 2011 & 2012

SHEEDY

If the hurling wasn't on gaago it would be on sky sports with the same conversation. No fan of rte but they can only show so many games. If gaago or sky sports weren't broadcasting the games would they be on at all? Split season means all the games are condensed into a shorter window. Does munster hurling need to be promoted before the Tailtean cup etc??
nil satis nisi optimum

Eire90

with so many games on these days could they experiment with  friday night games in provincials maybe one game per round robin round

seafoid

RTÉ isn't particularly flúirseach and the GAA wants revenue from streaming even though WiFi is patchy. GAAGO is a joint venture.

burdizzo

Quote from: SHEEDY on May 08, 2023, 12:28:11 AM
If the hurling wasn't on gaago it would be on sky sports with the same conversation. No fan of rte but they can only show so many games. If gaago or sky sports weren't broadcasting the games would they be on at all? Split season means all the games are condensed into a shorter window. Does munster hurling need to be promoted before the Tailtean cup etc??

Yes.

didlyi

Quote from: Eire90 on May 08, 2023, 02:46:58 AM
with so many games on these days could they experiment with  friday night games in provincials maybe one game per round robin round

And expect hard working amateurs to go play championship games after a weeks work? Get real

thebackbar1

Quote from: Hoof Hearted on May 08, 2023, 12:14:14 AM
A football man myself but love the wee ball, and Donal Og is 100%

Is he ? if some of the munster hurling matches aren't put behind the pay wall, what hurling matches will be ?

Where will the GAA get the money for paying player expenses ? to pay for the new pairc ui chaoimh ?  Fraher Field ? for developing club facilities etc

Donal is a good man for complaining, but does he have any real ideas for promoting it other that putting it on free to air tv

Saffrongael

A fair whack of the population already have Sky Sports I would think, Gaa Go is an extra expense and a much inferior product the fact that it's streamed. The streaming would instantly rule out some people in rural areas
Let no-one say the best hurlers belong to the past. They are with us now, and better yet to come

thebackbar1

Quote from: Saffrongael on May 08, 2023, 10:58:27 AM

A fair whack of the population already have Sky Sports I would think, Gaa Go is an extra expense and a much inferior product the fact that it's streamed. The streaming would instantly rule out some people in rural areas

Any numbers to back up that claim that a fair whack of the population already have sky sports ? Most articles on the matter point to the sky gaa viewership figures being low https://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/business-of-sport/arid-40991783.html  . GAAGO isn't perfect, but i feel its a lot better than the sky model

seafoid

Munster hurling could be a spinoff competition

Armagh18

Quote from: didlyi on May 08, 2023, 09:46:37 AM

And expect hard working amateurs to go play championship games after a weeks work? Get real
I wouldnt be too worried about that end of things theres not too many players that would be killed working on a site or the likes lol main issue would be the supporters travelling to and from matches.

Captain Scarlet

Dónal Óg only seems to fret about hurling when it involves the big boys from Munster.
The truth is that hurling is a sport whereby the 'hurling people' don't give a flying f**k about anything bar the big beasts.

If you are having a go at RTÉ for hurling how come so many counties never get a minute of live coverage.

them mysterons are always killing me but im grand after a few days.sickenin aul dose all the same.

SHEEDY

Seen a stat saying that by the time the Munster hurling championship finishes all 10 matches will have been shown live and it will be an even split of live games between rte and gaago.
nil satis nisi optimum

Eire90

Quote from: didlyi on May 08, 2023, 09:46:37 AM

it would be restricted to countys that are close and throw does not have to be till after 8pm club players play friday night are they not hard working.