All-Ireland Junior Football Championship 2017

Started by Ball Hopper, June 27, 2017, 10:22:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ball Hopper

All-Ireland Semi Finals set for Saturday 22 July.

Leitrim v Kerry

Britain v Meath  (Britain's final is Warwickshire v Kilkenny on Saturday 1 July)

Kerry beat Cork tonight AET to claim the Munster Championship on a score of 4-24 to 3-20, sides were level at 2-17 apiece after 60 minutes.  No defences must have shown up in Pairc Ui Rinn.

Any idea why Ulster doesn't enter a team?

Final set for 5 August.

Cunny Funt

Leitrim beat both Galway and Mayo to win Connacht. Their first Junior Connacht title for 13 years.

macdanger2

Brendan o'sullivan playing for Kerry apparently

Syferus

Ulster doesn't have a team as there is no Ulster junior championship and that's because it's not worth their time to field teams. Just like ourselves. Cavan play in Leinster for some reason, yet couldn't field an adult hurling team for years.

Junior needs a serious overhaul to make it relevant again or it's the next Railway Cup and it ends up cut from the schedule. Maybe make it U23 or U25 like that trial competition in hurling and actually use it as a developmental tool?

From the Bunker

Are all the Kerry players who won a Junior AI in 2015 eligible to play for Kerry again this year?

Is this a competition that Division 4 teams should be allowed to enter their Senior team into?

Syferus

Quote from: From the Bunker on June 27, 2017, 11:44:10 PM
Are all the Kerry players who won a Junior AI in 2015 eligible to play for Kerry again this year?

Is this a competition that Division 4 teams should be allowed to enter their Senior team into?

Leitrim were playing Wayne McKeon in it this year.

From the Bunker

When i say ''Is this a competition that Division 4 teams should be allowed to enter their Senior team into?'' I mean their full inter-county team. Not Senior players from their club championship. While still competing in the Senior Provincial and AI series.

Ball Hopper

Quote from: From the Bunker on June 27, 2017, 11:44:10 PM

Kerry had two from their 2012 team and three from the 2015 team that both won the Junior All-Ireland.

They also had 5 of the starting 15 with an All-Ireland minor medal from the last three years. 

Would it make sense to have the juniors and seniors training together? 

twohands!!!

Quote from: Syferus on June 27, 2017, 11:36:44 PM
Ulster doesn't have a team as there is no Ulster junior championship and that's because it's not worth their time to field teams. Just like ourselves. Cavan play in Leinster for some reason, yet couldn't field an adult hurling team for years.

Junior needs a serious overhaul to make it relevant again or it's the next Railway Cup and it ends up cut from the schedule. Maybe make it U23 or U25 like that trial competition in hurling and actually use it as a developmental tool?

There's footage of the Kerry Cork game on the Kerry GAA facebook page.

The game was streamed live on the Facebook page apparently and the video has 10,000 views.

Kerry have using it as a development panel the last few years - I saw somewhere that there was something like 8 or 10 players who played for Kerry in this years league that had played for the juniors previously.

Seems to me that a whole host of counties are missing out by not taking it more seriously.

It will become even more valuable next year when U21 goes to U20.

tiempo

Quote from: twohands!!! on June 28, 2017, 02:04:14 PM

The game was streamed live on the Facebook page apparently and the video has 10,000 views.

Kerry have using it as a development panel the last few years - I saw somewhere that there was something like 8 or 10 players who played for Kerry in this years league that had played for the juniors previously.

Seems to me that a whole host of counties are missing out by not taking it more seriously.

Correct. And also a great opportunity for the winners of the British champ to play at Croke Park as they go straight to a semi-final, unlike the club champs where they have the added quarter final. Unfortunately for all the talent in the British championship the counties are put off by a confusing (ever changing (especially mid-season)) format, and distances required to travel for games on occasion. Very few counties do any training which invariably catches up with them at the All-Ireland semi stage, but the talent is there, especially with a favorable semi-final draw.

macdanger2

Presumably you have to be from a jnr club though, right?

rosnarun

Quote from: macdanger2 on June 28, 2017, 03:26:53 PM

i think it depends on the county . stronger counties are expect to only play junior( and intermediate?) . far as I know in mayo its just junior player though they may be from senior clubs as there was a lad from castlebar playing last year.
weaker counties play senior players not currently with inter county team.
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

twohands!!!

Quote from: rosnarun on June 28, 2017, 03:41:28 PM

i think it depends on the county . stronger counties are expect to only play junior( and intermediate?) . far as I know in mayo its just junior player though they may be from senior clubs as there was a lad from castlebar playing last year.

Mayo, Meath, Cork, Kerry and (Dublin when they took part) can't pick players from senior club teams.
They can pick from intermediate and junior.
I think Galway might be in this category as well.
Everyone else can pick from everyone bar the members of the senior panel.
Also if you won the final the last year, you can't play this year i.e Kerry won it last year, so all their players are eligible.
I have heard of a few counties deciding to use it as a development squad/stepping stone to the seniors - Cavan and Wexford I think had this policy for a while.

Also someone was asking about both panels training together and I'm pretty sure I've heard of the senior manager also being responsible for the juniors as well. Don't know if there was any training together - might not be feasible, but you'd imagine that you'd at least get a handy enough challenge game or two out of it.

Syferus

Quote from: twohands!!! on June 28, 2017, 10:28:01 PM
Quote from: rosnarun on June 28, 2017, 03:41:28 PM

Mayo, Meath, Cork, Kerry and (Dublin when they took part) can't pick players from senior club teams.
They can pick from intermediate and junior.
I think Galway might be in this category as well.
Everyone else can pick from everyone bar the members of the senior panel.
Also if you won the final the last year, you can't play this year i.e Kerry won it last year, so all their players are eligible.
I have heard of a few counties deciding to use it as a development squad/stepping stone to the seniors - Cavan and Wexford I think had this policy for a while.

Also someone was asking about both panels training together and I'm pretty sure I've heard of the senior manager also being responsible for the juniors as well. Don't know if there was any training together - might not be feasible, but you'd imagine that you'd at least get a handy enough challenge game or two out of it.

When even super counties like Mayo are cutting lads in July to save cash the idea of a junior team training with the seniors is so incredibly fanciful it's hard to process.

Blowitupref

Half time in the All-Ireland Semi Finals

Kerry 1-8 Leitrim 1-1
Meath 0-8 Kilkenny 0-5
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose