U14 Feile

Started by tintin25, June 25, 2017, 12:43:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

whitey

Quote from: bennydorano on June 25, 2017, 09:30:20 AM
Was down watching our boys in Gowna yesterday,  beaten in their QF by a strong Portlaoise side. New York were in the same group and gave every team a right hiding, they are a County rather than club side, heard a few grumbles as to why they weren't in the Elite competition  (that I didn't know existed til yesterday either). 10 divisions of Feile plus the Elite now I think.

Lol....the New York team gave out some awful hammerings alright

DownFanatic

So who won the Division 1 Elite comp then?

Link

From what i gather New York won the proper Feile Na Nóg 2017.

Not sure what the competition in Sligo was but Derry sent their B and C champions to the feile in cavan/monaghan and their A champions (rossa magherafelt) went to Sligo and got beat by Burren in the final.

Did clubs have a choice on which competition they could attend?
Who are the dublin champs and how did they get on?

screenexile

Yeah there seems to be a "Regional" Feile competition which was held in Sligo that included the big teams from around the country Dublin/Cork/Kerry/Derry/Galway etc.

clonadmad

There was a regional feile also held in Tullamore on Saturday

These tend to be invitational and don't include those who won the feile competition in their respective counties

Stradbally Parish Gaels went from Laois,while the seniors are county champions and might be considered a "big" name,their u14s are a mid table B team.

Ty4Sam

Regional Feile also held in Owenbeg, Derry. Our lads came third in it. It was invitation only, Ardboe (Tyrone Grade 1 Feile Champions) went to the main Feile...Strabane, Killeeshil and Carrickmore (who were the other Tyrone Grade 1 semi finalists) were invited to the regional Feiles. Think Killeeshil went to Meath, not sure about Carrickmore.

DownFanatic

So are Burren the proper All Ireland Feile Division 1/Elite/Premier champions?

Ty4Sam

No, New York are. Burren won an invitation only Regional Feile, which is for teams who didn't qualify for the AI Feile.

Link

Burren possibly are the best u14 team in the country but their name isn't on the Division 1 Feile Na Nóg trophy as they won a regional comp.

Ty4Sam

I take it Burren didn't win the Down Feile?

OgraAnDun

Quote from: Ty4Sam on June 26, 2017, 04:09:44 PM
I take it Burren didn't win the Down Feile?

I'm pretty sure they beat Bredagh 1-4 to 0-01 in the Down feile final.

Maroon Manc

Fairly sure Corofin beat Salthill in the Galway final too and they were both at this regional finals.

bennydorano

Some of the Elite competitors were County Feile Champions, no idea how people knew they were superior to the mainstream competition & got invited?? If they'd done their homework New York would've been there.

GPA version  ???

Too many steps

So the story I heard was that someone (or a committee) in feile/gaa  officialdom decided that the Feile was being dominated by a few counties. So the winners of the feile in several counties were not permitted to enter the main feile. So there was a feile in Sligo for these teams and a few invited others.

The winners of the Derry down Dublin Kildare Galway cork and Kerry feile were there. Plus Dublin and Galway feile runners up. And 2 teams from Donegal along with a combined Sligo team as they were hosts.

Draw your own conclusions as to which was the elite feile.

Zulu

The feile was changed a few years ago as teams were taking it too seriously. The main feile no longer includes the best teams in the country so the regional one in Sligo appears to be the top level. Not sure how they decide who goes where but it looks like Sligo had the county champions.