Armagh v Fermanagh - Sunday 25th June at 6:30pm

Started by Orior, June 09, 2017, 09:20:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Orior

Quote from: bennydorano on June 25, 2017, 09:40:15 PM
I was surprised they took O'Hanlon off myself, Murnin too but he looked like he took a knock. McParland was lucky getting the full shift imo. The drop to the bench could be the kick up the arse that Campbell needs. Looked hungry 2nite.

Whilst Grugan took his scores, I thought he dropped or missed any kick-out to him?

Good to see O'Hanlon finally having a good game for Armagh.

Grimley was immense.

Can Armagh win two games in a row?
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

T Fearon

The massive crowd tonight shows how times have changed.Failure to get out of Div 3 and beaten after an inept performance by Down,yet Armagh fans still roll up in their thousands.I remember the 1985 NFL Div 1 final,after Armagh lost to Monaghan,hearing many Armagh fans on the way out of Croker vowing (and meaning it) that they'd never be back to watch the team.Yet nowadays we could sink to Div 4 and the masses would still show up.

Good crowd also up from Fermanagh tonight,contrasting with the Ulster Semi Final in 2002 at Clones when the Fermanagh fans wouldn't have filled two taxis.

stew

Quote from: Over the Bar on June 25, 2017, 08:35:10 PM
Quote from: stew on June 25, 2017, 08:20:33 PM
Quote from: nrico2006 on June 25, 2017, 05:42:27 PM
Wonder how many scores the 'super' Armagh forward line will get today?

We scored 20 points as a collective with the forward ling bagging the majority of them, is that ' super' enough for you????
Dublin will be sh*tting themselves! ;)

Nobody mentioned Dublin, a smart arse remark was made to denigrate our forwards, i simply stated the obvious after the fact, our forwards got the job done. I cannit wait until Dublin or Kerry dismantle Tyrone, arrogant hoors need a reminder of who they are, we know who we are and we will be done soon. )
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

armaghniac

Quote from: T Fearon on June 25, 2017, 11:59:34 PM
The massive crowd tonight shows how times have changed.Failure to get out of Div 3 and beaten after an inept performance by Down,yet Armagh fans still roll up in their thousands.I remember the 1985 NFL Div 1 final,after Armagh lost to Monaghan,hearing many Armagh fans on the way out of Croker vowing (and meaning it) that they'd never be back to watch the team.Yet nowadays we could sink to Div 4 and the masses would still show up.

It doesn't really, Armagh had big crowds in the 80s, even bigger crowds in the 00s and half that number of eejits still go.
A game against Monaghan or a home game against Tipp would be well attended.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

T Fearon

Supporters were a lot more fickle back in the day,and crowds generally correlated to how well the team was doing.

For example,the crowd at the AI semi final between Armagh and Kerry in 1982 was a mere 17,000.

tonto1888

Quote from: T Fearon on June 25, 2017, 10:56:47 PM
A game essentially between two third division teams and the standard never reached any great heights.If Quigley had started Fermanagh might have pushed on when they led 5 points to 2.Hard to see Mc Grath continuing I'd say.If we avoid Monaghan we may get to play a beaten provincial finalist,although away ties to either Westmeath or Tipp would be tricky in the extreme

I will be happy with a home tie. Preferably Leitrim but I would take Westmeath or Tipp also

PAULD123

Quote from: Orior

Yes.

There is very little between any of the Ulster sides man for man. We proved that against Monaghan on Saturday night. A focused, co-ordinated team that plays with confidence in Ulster is pretty much as good as another Ulster side.

The best thing is that the attacking football has prospered in this years Ulster Championship.

Taylor

Quote from: PAULD123 on June 26, 2017, 07:57:27 AM
Quote from: Orior

Yes.

There is very little between any of the Ulster sides man for man. We proved that against Monaghan on Saturday night. A focused, co-ordinated team that plays with confidence in Ulster is pretty much as good as another Ulster side.

The best thing is that the attacking football has prospered in this years Ulster Championship.

Seriously?

The gap between Fermanagh or Antrim and Tyrone is absolutely massive.

Ethan Tremblay

Went to the game, big crowd for that time on a Sunday.  Armagh GAA will be laughing all the way to the bank after this weekends returns. 

Onto the game.  Armagh first half shooting was very very poor, and would need to improve conversion rate considerably.  That said there second half shooting was great.  Duffy and Grimley showed great fielding, something Armagh have struggled with was winning midfield this year.  Hughes in nets is a real find, his kickouts (bar 1) were spot on all night. 

Fermanagh allowed Armagh to kick the ball in all night, something we wouldn't get as handy again I doubt.  Good to see Campbell come on and get involved, Ethan Rafferty also showed and finally some options from the bench.  Roll on Westmeath. 
I tend to think of myself as a one man wolfpack...

DuffleKing

Quote from: Ethan Tremblay on June 26, 2017, 09:27:19 AM
Went to the game, big crowd for that time on a Sunday.  Armagh GAA will be laughing all the way to the bank after this weekends returns

Onto the game.  Armagh first half shooting was very very poor, and would need to improve conversion rate considerably.  That said there second half shooting was great.  Duffy and Grimley showed great fielding, something Armagh have struggled with was winning midfield this year.  Hughes in nets is a real find, his kickouts (bar 1) were spot on all night. 

Fermanagh allowed Armagh to kick the ball in all night, something we wouldn't get as handy again I doubt.  Good to see Campbell come on and get involved, Ethan Rafferty also showed and finally some options from the bench.  Roll on Westmeath.

Counties don't get this money - Croke Park money

Ethan Tremblay

Counties get no return in gate receipts?

Bar bringing people into the city(town really) what benefit do they get from hosting matches or is there a stipulation that they have to?
I tend to think of myself as a one man wolfpack...

Orior

Quote from: Ethan Tremblay on June 26, 2017, 03:30:12 PM

Bar bringing people into the city(town really) what benefit do they get from hosting matches or is there a stipulation that they have to?

Bringing people into town at 6:30pm on a Sunday evening is only good for pubs and fast food outlets.

BennyCake

Quote from: Orior on June 26, 2017, 03:43:08 PM
Quote from: Ethan Tremblay on June 26, 2017, 03:30:12 PM

Bringing people into town at 6:30pm on a Sunday evening is only good for pubs and fast food outlets.

And McInerney's.

Orior

The press seemed to like what McKeever did when he came on, but I thought he looked rather immobile. What did I miss?

Erne Man

Pretty much as expected from the game last night.
We made a decent start, but masked by some bad wides by Armagh. Thought Armagh were always in control of the game, and our inability to get scores (other than Tomas frees and a few long range efforts) was worrying.
Sadly I think we are in for a prolonged spell in Division 3. The poor performances at minor and u-21 level where we regularly get hockeyed doesnt suggest we will uncover many nuggets over the next few years. I know Pete is a thoughtful individual, and won't have made any rash announcements after the game last night, but I suspect he will hang up the managers bib, in Fermanagh at least. Great credit to him for taking the role on, and making some decent progress in his tenure. Our issue will always be that even within the 3/4yr cycle of a manager, we will have small peaks along the way and a large trough in the last year of their tenure - no-one tends to leave the Fermanagh position on a high!

Good performance from Armagh, and a great draw for them in the next round. We got Westmeath a couple of years ago after a Leinster final drubbing by the Dubs, and you could tell they weren't mentally right.