Antrim Hurling

Started by milltown row, January 26, 2007, 11:21:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Antrim Coaster

Balboa, Ballymena have had the same problems as ourselves in the past but they've progressed well in the intravening years although hurling in their club is now the poor relation with most juveniles opting to play football. The onus now for Latharna Og is to continue to develop at underage levels and field a senior team that can compete with the Cloughmills' of this world. This will be a few years down the line, but the club is going in the right direction. 

NAG

Its all gone very quiet.

whats the opinions on the match on sunday, hear the weather is to be very poor?

any predictions?

Ruairi Og exile

NAG...More talk about the Ulster final on the Hurling discussion board.

If the weather is poor, I think that will suit Kevin Lynch's(apparantly they're not to be called Dungiven :)). If Dunloy move the ball really quickly into the FF Line they'll be grand. But if they dont spread it out they'll find it tough like Cushendall did in the drawn match last year but the extra class in their forward line should enable them to win. Dunloy to win by maybe 3 or 4 but it will be a tough match for them.

The county are back training I hear..any word if any newcomers or who has been dropped off( ie over 27's)

NAG

I have heard some alarming reports that c.heron isnt going back, tosh, pinnkie b.mcfall m. molloy are not going back can anyone clarify.

Glensman

C Herron would be a big loss. Last year he had some of the old stuff back and was hurling well.

Tosh gave it up and then came back last year. Inevitable.
Pinky has put in a good few years service and this was probably expected. Banging away a few goals for Ulster might
McFall - who? Joke, think this was inevitable. Again a few good years service and love him or hate him he plied his trade well for a few years.
Molloy - again understandable but a shame.

Anybody interested in giving their line up for next year?

Magee
Graffin N McGarry Delargy
Campbell McKeegan Herron
Paul Shields, E McCloskey
M Herron N McManus P Magill
Watson P Richmond D Laverty

Not too many Belfast men on there.
Am probably forgetting people as well.

Will P Richmond give it another go? He is still young and arguably entering his prime but marriage can do strange things to a fella...I hear.

Ruairi Og exile

Hope Ciaran Herron, Paddy Richmond & Malachy Molloy arent retiring. They would be a huge loss. Wouldnt be suprised if Molloy & Paddy didnt go back but it would a suprise about Herron. He's only 27ish.

Glensman....wouldnt have Laverty near the panel never mind the team. Look at this years/last years county final..he hardly hit a ball. The other team is maybe fair enough as there isnt many options. Hopefully Watson goes back

NAG

Glensman you just did yourself a massive disservice there by naming laverty oh my god man where have you been this year?

As for P.Richmond is he still worth his place? watched him close and hasnt impressed for dunloy at all.

milltown row

Obviously depending on how our footballers will do in the football, Karl Stewart has always opted for the hurling, he's an exceptional hurler, who does a lot of hard graft in a match, which goes unseen. a lot of the forwards wait on good ball, where as Karl is willing to get stuck in and win ugly ball.

always asked to play for the footballers and would walk on the team but  is a hurler through and through.

Ruairi Og exile

There isnt many options available especially forwards. If you look at this years championship. Ally Elliott, Dick O'Kane & Conor McCambridge have been 3 of the best forwards & there well into their 30's.

Milltown..Paddy has had a few injuries & was unavailable for a while due to his wedding,so if he got fit & injury free then i'd definately have him on the team. Maybe due to getting married there'll be less time for beer & he might want to get out of the house for training :D.

Would have Micky Kettle in contention for a starting spot as well

lynchbhoy

Quote from: Ruairi Og exile on October 26, 2007, 12:24:20 PM
Kevin Lynch's(apparantly they're not to be called Dungiven

correct
read page 64 / 65 of pat spillanes second book - 'no pat on the back'
and you'll get the picture

its just people continue to call the club Dungiven, thats not the name we go by.

Glensman

Only getting back to here after focusing the efforts in the Ulster Final thread there for a couple of days!

Ruairi Og and NAG, Laverty's inclusion was a punt alright and I hold my hands up in saying that I was at the county final and he was marked completely out of the game by Mickey McClements. However, who do we put there?
Criticism has been levelled at his door for not being great in the big games...he is a young fella, not long out of minor at all.
I have seen him in full flow in a couple of not so big games and if that could be transferred he could be a threat to anyone.
If his attitude could be controlled and his effort upped he's got potential.

Suggest who to put in in his place (I may be forgetting people) and I'll leave it alone!

Agree that Karl Stewart works hard (harder than many of his fellow forwards this year for the county) so he may be worth sticking in again.

A couple of young Montys, Dick O'Kane's and Ally Elliots really wouldn't go amiss.

Ruairi Og exile

Glensman..Dim Dim has been called into the county squad. He'll never make a county hurler. He 21 or 22 now I think. If him in full flow is the match against Ballycastle where he scored 1-5 against a 41 year old & a minor then we're in trouble

I'd put Micky Kettle in corner back & move Sean Delargy in corner forward before i'd pick Dim Dim.But you are totally right...there is a total lack of options

Ruairi Og exile

Shane isnt good enough yet & McCrory would be more of a midfielder as well.

Rocky from Rossa could be an option for the squad but he teaches in London doesnt he??

Quote from: lynchbhoy on October 30, 2007, 11:37:55 AM
Quote from: Ruairi Og exile on October 26, 2007, 12:24:20 PM
Kevin Lynch's(apparantly they're not to be called Dungiven

correct
read page 64 / 65 of pat spillanes second book - 'no pat on the back'
and you'll get the picture

its just people continue to call the club Dungiven, thats not the name we go by.

If Shamrocks are from Loughgeil, McQuillans are from Ballycastle, Cuchulians from Dunloy... where are Kevin Lynch's from? 

Arthur_Friend

Whats the story behind not calling them Dungiven anyway?