Record numbers of free staters flock to join British Army

Started by Trout, March 29, 2011, 07:24:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

muppet

Quote from: Applesisapples on March 31, 2011, 11:08:28 AM
Quote from: muppet on March 31, 2011, 12:54:03 AM
Quote from: Shamrock Shore on March 31, 2011, 12:45:54 AM
People of the area that UTV covers (POTATUC)

If a lad from POTATUC originally now lives in the area that RTE covers how is he/she referred to as.

Say they live near Mizen Head - as far 'Site' as you can go, give or take.

Do lads who refer to the 26 counties as the "Free State" also assume the Treaty Ports are still British?

Grape or Grain?

Either way you solved it.

Are ye POTATUC lads ok with being called POTATUC lads?

We can be: People of the area south of that area that UTV covers (POTASOTATUC)
UTV covers about 70/80 % of the Island are you calling for repartition? Bye Bye Kerry...

I never saw any results from Mayo on UTV or Leitrim either.

But I am interested in your Kerry selling policy POTATUC.
MWWSI 2017

Poc me

Can we still call the chocolate free state chocolate?? It is the only way to distinguish between the two dairy milks!

In all serious though, I have heard people referring to people from the 26 as 'free-staters' in a positive and negative way, if they don't like it don't use it. God knows we have many things we don't like being called and people should take the same attitude. To be honest though if someone was giving me a bit of shit about being 'british' and all that sort of craic and they were from the 26 (and it has happened), in order to fcuk them off i'd call them a 'west brit'...and rightly so if they have the cheek to undermine my Irishness.

With the people from the 26 i simply refer to them by whatever county they'd come from. I don't see why anyone would refer to them as a 'free stater' or anything when they can just say he's from Mayo, Cork etc etc.

pintsofguinness

Quote from: Poc me on March 31, 2011, 12:16:39 PM
Can we still call the chocolate free state chocolate?? It is the only way to distinguish between the two dairy milks!

In all serious though, I have heard people referring to people from the 26 as 'free-staters' in a positive and negative way, if they don't like it don't use it. God knows we have many things we don't like being called and people should take the same attitude. To be honest though if someone was giving me a bit of shit about being 'british' and all that sort of craic and they were from the 26 (and it has happened), in order to fcuk them off i'd call them a 'west brit'...and rightly so if they have the cheek to undermine my Irishness.

With the people from the 26 i simply refer to them by whatever county they'd come from. I don't see why anyone would refer to them as a 'free stater' or anything when they can just say he's from Mayo, Cork etc etc.
Really? You can't think of any situation where you couldn't start listing the counties the people you are talking about are from?
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

Applesisapples

Poc me I forgot they kept the best chocolate as well!!!!!!!!!!

Arthur_Friend

Everybody on the island was a free stater for a day or two.

Tubberman

"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

Hound

Is there not a difference between joining the British Army before the GFA and after it?

Nobody can argue we are now at war with Britain. They are a friend and ally. The northern situation is far from ideal but we've all voted on it and a conclusion has been reached that in theory allows for a United Ireland in the future. Compromise has been reached by the governments which has been accepted in referendum by the people, so we move on.

So why shouldnt an Irish person join the army of an ally, especially the guy who has always loved fighter jets? He can't do that in Ireland. Plenty of Irish also join the US forces, and I'm sure there's some who join armies in Europe - these days is there any difference between that and people joining the British army?

Applesisapples

Quote from: Hound on March 31, 2011, 04:25:47 PM
Is there not a difference between joining the British Army before the GFA and after it?

Nobody can argue we are now at war with Britain. They are a friend and ally. The northern situation is far from ideal but we've all voted on it and a conclusion has been reached that in theory allows for a United Ireland in the future. Compromise has been reached by the governments which has been accepted in referendum by the people, so we move on.

So why shouldnt an Irish person join the army of an ally, especially the guy who has always loved fighter jets? He can't do that in Ireland. Plenty of Irish also join the US forces, and I'm sure there's some who join armies in Europe - these days is there any difference between that and people joining the British army?
I think probably not if you look at it like that. However to many of us in the north the British Army was an oppressive presence, one that killed innocent Catholics, searched our cars and stopped us on our way to matches because we were armed with hurls and O'Neills Footballs, we where therefore acting in a subversive manner. That memory still is fresh. But hey if some one wants to get killed as a pawn in what Steve Earle puts as "a richmans war"...So be it.

Myles Na G.

Nobody could ever argue that with a straight face after partition. De Valera pretended to, but even he was on the phone to the Brits on a regular basis to get advice on how to deal with Sean Russell and other Nazis. The more recent generation of Irish republicans also tried to argue it, but ended up on first name terms with various British prime ministers, as well as holding respectable positions in a devolved British assembly. How, then, could any of these people, or any of the people who voted them into positions of influence, object if some young lad decides to join the British forces instead of sitting on his hole at home waiting for his dole money to come through?

Peter Solan the Great

In the freestate county of Mayo they love there British heritage. They celebrate the Mayo people who fought and died for the British army often fighting against native irish people.

http://www.mayonews.ie/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=8507:mayo-peace-park-founder-honoured-by-queen&catid=23:news&Itemid=46

Áine Ryan

WHAT have Status Quo's ageing rockers, Rick Parfitt and Francis Rossi, Star Trek's Patrick Stewart and Mayo Memorial Peace Park's, Michael Feeney got in common? They were all honoured in Queen Elizabeth's New Year's Honours List.
Founder of the County Mayo Peace Park in Castlebar, Mr Michael Feeney (pictured) was last week awarded an MBE (Member of the British Empire) for services to UK-Ireland relations.
Speaking to The Mayo News yesterday, Mr Feeney expressed his delight and feeling of pride on behalf of the peace park committee with which he observed that he 'shares this honour'.

Rossfan

A peace park commemorating war !!!
Only in rhubarbland.........

And of course the oul boloxology about Sean Russell being a Nazi is being spouted again
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Quote from: Peter Solan the Great on March 31, 2011, 06:00:44 PM
In the freestate county of Mayo they love there British heritage. They celebrate the Mayo people who fought and died for the British army often fighting against native irish people.

their

Good picture PSTG. Really nice peace park at that. Nice commemorations are held there involving members of both the R.I.R. & the only true Óglaigh na hÉireann.

Time to take a more chill-pill approach to life.

Nally Stand

Don't try pretend that the British army are just the same as any other European army. I never seen Dutch/French/German/Polish/Italian (etc) troops smash in my front door and turn my house on its end as they laughed. Nor did soldiers from any other European country carry out state murders locally.
"The island of saints & scholars...and gombeens & fuckin' arselickers" Christy Moore

Myles Na G.

Quote from: Nally Stand on March 31, 2011, 06:32:28 PM

Don't try pretend that the British army are just the same as any other European army. I never seen Dutch/French/German/Polish/Italian (etc) troops smash in my front door and turn my house on its end as they laughed. Nor did soldiers from any other European country carry out state murders locally.
Nor were any murdered locally, by locals. There might be a connection between that fact and your other observations, who knows.

trueblue1234

Whataboutary. In fact it's worse than that. It sounds like your trying to justify state murder because of    paramiltary murders.

Your mask is now around your feet.
Grammar: the difference between knowing your shit