Record numbers of free staters flock to join British Army

Started by Trout, March 29, 2011, 07:24:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Quote from: Fear ón Srath Bán on March 30, 2011, 06:25:49 PM
Quote from: mayogodhelpus@gmail.com on March 30, 2011, 12:21:32 PM
it make us no sense to call the 26 counties anything but their official title of Ireland or Éire. If those correct terms seem partitionist or too easily confused with the island of the same names why not refer to the 26 as the acceptable name of Irish Republic or the inoffensive description of the 26 Counties.

Sorry MGHU, but that's just bollix.

The constitution was framed incorporating Articles 2 and 3 of Bunreacht na hÉireann, which asserted that Ireland's territory was the whole island. So the terms 'Ireland' and 'Éire' did indeed encapsulate all 32 Counties of Ireland, as per Articles 2 and 3, and sensibly so.

Since the GFA, when Articles 2 and 3 were rescinded, to use 'Ireland'  (or 'Eire') for the 26 Counties (only) is nonsensical: the second word in northern Ireland is IRELAND! It's yet another example of the incompetence of the previous Dáil incumbents where they couldn't even consider something as fundamental as the State's moniker.

And, by the way, the 'Republic of Ireland' is nonsensical too, since part of Ireland is not a republic (yet). The correct term would be the 'Irish Republic', as is used by a good number of overseas reporting organisations in any case, who obviously don't feel too comfortable abusing the english language.

FoSB, at last a decent response. I take what you say about articles 2 & 3 as a valid point. But is in not the state which referred to itself (without rebranding itself) as Ireland or Éire which recinded those claims to areas of the island and off-shore islands under British administration.

FoSB I would challenge you to go back trough my posts and find once where I refer to the "Republic of Ireland" being the name of this state (except when referring to an international soccer team. I always use the terms Ireland, Éire, 26 counties or more than often (so as not to offend our 6 county neighbours/family) the Irish Republic.

Time to take a more chill-pill approach to life.

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Quote from: Banana Man on March 30, 2011, 08:14:40 PM
Quote from: pintsofguinness on March 30, 2011, 05:02:30 PM
Quote from: Tubberman on March 30, 2011, 02:19:49 PM
Quote from: pintsofguinness on March 30, 2011, 12:55:21 PM
Quote from: Applesisapples on March 30, 2011, 12:02:33 PM
Quote from: mayogodhelpus@gmail.com on March 30, 2011, 12:49:55 AM
Or maybe you just don't know people from the 26 counties find that term offensive as it is the Irish Republic.
Why? You were originally the Irish Free State. It is a term spoken out of envy in this part of the world.

It comes across as a clear denial of the correct status of the Irish State as a Republic. It comes across as a bitter comment on the people of the Republic, who are 100% Irish (as you) and who don't deserve your nasty attitude for just living their lifes. By the way we were Southern Ireland for a few weeks before being the Irish Free State, the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland before that, the Kingdom of Ireland before that and the Lordship of Ireland before that. So it make us no sense to call the 26 counties anything but their official title of Ireland or Éire. If those correct terms seem partitionist or too easily confused with the island of the same names why not refer to the 26 as the acceptable name of Irish Republic or the inoffensive description of the 26 Counties. It can get a bit tiring when everything someone from the Republic says is screamed down as bigoted or partitionist, but people from the 6 counties can shout Mexican, FreeStater, WestBrits etc. and find it perfectly acceptable.
We've been through this argument countless times, when will freestaters get it through their thick heads that people in the north refer to the south as the "freestate" and the people there as "freestaters" and the easiest term to use, it's not said with bitterness or anything else. Could you engage your brain for a minute to get that through?
You want people to call the 26 counties Ireland or Eire? What does that make the 6 counties? If someone says Ireland or Eire to me I assume they're talking about 32 counties. 
I will not call the 26 counties the Irish Republic either, people have died for hundreds of years for a 32 county Irish Republic, the only time I feel comforable referring to an Irish Republic is when it's a 32 county Irish republic. 
I suggest you don't be so sensitive.

So you prefer to use the term Freestater because you refuse to recognise that the state is actually a Republic? I don't think it's being overly-sensitive to find that insulting and also more than a bit irrational.
That's not what I said, try reading my post again, I've already clarified my position for Hardy. 

Hardy, I would always use the terms freestate and freestaters, my parents would do the same, everyone in the area I'm from would do the same and I've rarely heard the term used as an insult.  The term "nigger" isn't even in the same league and not worth bringing up.

I also hate the term "nordie".

that is basically my point, everyone in the area uses, always has since the formation of the state and it has stuck, again, not in a derogatory way but we all wish we had been part of it, i genuinely fail to see how someone from the 26 counties could take offence at that unless it was used with another word as someone else suggested e.g. ''freestate b**tard''.

Because we grew up in and are citizens of the Irish Republic not the non-existant, defunt Irish Free State. I believe most people in the 26 counties feal that when people from the 6 use it, they are either insulting us or making a deliberate effort to refuse or acknowledge the state that even in its worst hours we feal a loyalty and pride in. I think that actually can promote partition because it can get people from the 26 counties backs up, that we have to defend our Republic from people we feal should have a love and a loyalty for the Irish state too.

We will not feal shame for being of the Irish Republic, not matter how many Free State, Traitors, Sold us out, WestBrits jibes thrown at us. One thing that being thrown at us from people from beyond our Island but from other Irish people, it is clearly insulting.

I am proud to be Irish (of the Island).
I am proud to be an Irish citizen.
I am proud of the Irish Republic I was born into and feal a strong bond with it.

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: mayogodhelpus@gmail.com on March 30, 2011, 10:02:47 PM
FoSB I would challenge you to go back trough my posts and find once where I refer to the "Republic of Ireland" being the name of this state (except when referring to an international soccer team. I always use the terms Ireland, Éire, 26 counties or more than often (so as not to offend our 6 county neighbours/family) the Irish Republic.

Apologies MGHU, I wasn't inferring that you've used that erroneous term, more that I hear it so bleedin' often, and almost as often from those that you'd hope should know a lot better (the grating 'greats' (in their own minds)).
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Quote from: Fear ón Srath Bán on March 30, 2011, 10:15:23 PM
Quote from: mayogodhelpus@gmail.com on March 30, 2011, 10:02:47 PM

Apologies MGHU, I wasn't inferring that you've used that erroneous term, more that I hear it so bleedin' often, and almost as often from those that you'd hope should know a lot better (the grating 'greats' (in their own minds)).

I almost hate the term as much as West Brit or Free Stater. If we should try and avoid using Ireland or Éire (despite being correct) I think the Irish Republic is the best acceptable and correct alternative.

Dinny Breen

Quote from: gallsman on March 30, 2011, 06:49:12 PM
Quote from: Dinny Breen on March 30, 2011, 06:45:53 PM
Gallsman there has been a policy change in regards to Cadet recruitment - the majority of cadets recruited these days has a degree already and very few are been sent to Galway to study. It has been recognised that the further studies were as surmised a waste of tax payers monies.

Cheers Dinny, didn't know that. This fella would have been starting college for the 2007/08 year having been, like the rest of his class, recruited straight out of school. The change has been since then?

There was a moratorium in 2009 so the 2 cadet classes since. The whole process is far more streamlined and canvassing which was rife has all but been eliminated as well.
#newbridgeornowhere

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: mayogodhelpus@gmail.com on March 30, 2011, 10:24:46 PM
I almost hate the term as much as West Brit or Free Stater. If we should try and avoid using Ireland or Éire (despite being correct) I think the Irish Republic is the best acceptable and correct alternative.

Don't mind the term 'Ireland' (or Éire) so long as it applies to all of Ireland, as originally enshrined. But we have unanimity in the 'Irish Republic', for the 26 counties ;)
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

Shamrock Shore

People of the area that UTV covers (POTATUC)

If a lad from POTATUC originally now lives in the area that RTE covers how is he/she referred to as.

Say they live near Mizen Head - as far 'Site' as you can go, give or take.

Do lads who refer to the 26 counties as the "Free State" also assume the Treaty Ports are still British?

muppet

Quote from: Shamrock Shore on March 31, 2011, 12:45:54 AM

If a lad from POTATUC originally now lives in the area that RTE covers how is he/she referred to as.

Do lads who refer to the 26 counties as the "Free State" also assume the Treaty Ports are still British?

Grape or Grain?

Either way you solved it.

Are ye POTATUC lads ok with being called POTATUC lads?

We can be: People of the area south of that area that UTV covers (POTASOTATUC)

MWWSI 2017

Pangurban

Lads, can we not all convene at the Royal Dublin Society in Ballsbridge, to engage in a proper debate of this issue. We could invite some Lordships from the Four Courts complete with Wigs, to chair the various sessions. Workshops could be set up to re-educate ignorant Nordies on political subleties and distinctions. Sure all that fourth green field  and wrap the green flag round me nonsense spouted over the years by FF and FG politicians was just a bit of romantic foolery for home consumption, no one expected Nordies to take it seriously.  That Proclamation in 1916 by a crowd of Poets and Dreamers, with its treat all children of the Nation equally drivel, can hardly expect to be taken seriously by the educated citizens of todays Ireland. Sure its fine for an excuse to have a Day out in Bodenstown or a booze up at the Garden Of Remembrance, recalling the good old days and the decent people, but if the Nordies are fool enough to think we believe it , then serious consideration will have to be given to its discontinuance, but not before the Centenary, sure that will be a grand day out. If we can through debate and re-education disabuse the Nordies that they are part of some mythical Republic, and prepare them to enter into the whole charade in a spirit of fun and friendship, sure the whole Country will be united, as we always intended, in deceit and hypocrisy. There will be no artificial divisions of Free Stater or Nordie then, we will all be ignorant fools together

Mike Sheehy

Christ almighty....you Nordies are such windbags !

saffron sam2

Quote from: Pangurban on March 31, 2011, 01:43:48 AM
Lads, can we not all convene at the Royal Dublin Society in Ballsbridge, to engage in a proper debate of this issue. We could invite some Lordships from the Four Courts complete with Wigs, to chair the various sessions. Workshops could be set up to re-educate ignorant Nordies on political subleties and distinctions. Sure all that fourth green field  and wrap the green flag round me nonsense spouted over the years by FF and FG politicians was just a bit of romantic foolery for home consumption, no one expected Nordies to take it seriously.  That Proclamation in 1916 by a crowd of Poets and Dreamers, with its treat all children of the Nation equally drivel, can hardly expect to be taken seriously by the educated citizens of todays Ireland. Sure its fine for an excuse to have a Day out in Bodenstown or a booze up at the Garden Of Remembrance, recalling the good old days and the decent people, but if the Nordies are fool enough to think we believe it , then serious consideration will have to be given to its discontinuance, but not before the Centenary, sure that will be a grand day out. If we can through debate and re-education disabuse the Nordies that they are part of some mythical Republic, and prepare them to enter into the whole charade in a spirit of fun and friendship, sure the whole Country will be united, as we always intended, in deceit and hypocrisy. There will be no artificial divisions of Free Stater or Nordie then, we will all be ignorant fools together

Is that the island of Ireland or the free state?
the breathing of the vanished lies in acres round my feet

Franko

Quote from: mayogodhelpus@gmail.com on March 30, 2011, 10:12:09 PM
Quote from: Banana Man on March 30, 2011, 08:14:40 PM
Quote from: pintsofguinness on March 30, 2011, 05:02:30 PM
Quote from: Tubberman on March 30, 2011, 02:19:49 PM
Quote from: pintsofguinness on March 30, 2011, 12:55:21 PM
Quote from: Applesisapples on March 30, 2011, 12:02:33 PM
Quote from: mayogodhelpus@gmail.com on March 30, 2011, 12:49:55 AM
Or maybe you just don't know people from the 26 counties find that term offensive as it is the Irish Republic.
Why? You were originally the Irish Free State. It is a term spoken out of envy in this part of the world.

It comes across as a clear denial of the correct status of the Irish State as a Republic. It comes across as a bitter comment on the people of the Republic, who are 100% Irish (as you) and who don't deserve your nasty attitude for just living their lifes. By the way we were Southern Ireland for a few weeks before being the Irish Free State, the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland before that, the Kingdom of Ireland before that and the Lordship of Ireland before that. So it make us no sense to call the 26 counties anything but their official title of Ireland or Éire. If those correct terms seem partitionist or too easily confused with the island of the same names why not refer to the 26 as the acceptable name of Irish Republic or the inoffensive description of the 26 Counties. It can get a bit tiring when everything someone from the Republic says is screamed down as bigoted or partitionist, but people from the 6 counties can shout Mexican, FreeStater, WestBrits etc. and find it perfectly acceptable.
We've been through this argument countless times, when will freestaters get it through their thick heads that people in the north refer to the south as the "freestate" and the people there as "freestaters" and the easiest term to use, it's not said with bitterness or anything else. Could you engage your brain for a minute to get that through?
You want people to call the 26 counties Ireland or Eire? What does that make the 6 counties? If someone says Ireland or Eire to me I assume they're talking about 32 counties. 
I will not call the 26 counties the Irish Republic either, people have died for hundreds of years for a 32 county Irish Republic, the only time I feel comforable referring to an Irish Republic is when it's a 32 county Irish republic. 
I suggest you don't be so sensitive.

So you prefer to use the term Freestater because you refuse to recognise that the state is actually a Republic? I don't think it's being overly-sensitive to find that insulting and also more than a bit irrational.
That's not what I said, try reading my post again, I've already clarified my position for Hardy. 

Hardy, I would always use the terms freestate and freestaters, my parents would do the same, everyone in the area I'm from would do the same and I've rarely heard the term used as an insult.  The term "nigger" isn't even in the same league and not worth bringing up.

I also hate the term "nordie".

that is basically my point, everyone in the area uses, always has since the formation of the state and it has stuck, again, not in a derogatory way but we all wish we had been part of it, i genuinely fail to see how someone from the 26 counties could take offence at that unless it was used with another word as someone else suggested e.g. ''freestate b**tard''.

Because we grew up in and are citizens of the Irish Republic not the non-existant, defunt Irish Free State. I believe most people in the 26 counties feal that when people from the 6 use it, they are either insulting us or making a deliberate effort to refuse or acknowledge the state that even in its worst hours we feal a loyalty and pride in. I think that actually can promote partition because it can get people from the 26 counties backs up, that we have to defend our Republic from people we feal should have a love and a loyalty for the Irish state too.

We will not feal shame for being of the Irish Republic, not matter how many Free State, Traitors, Sold us out, WestBrits jibes thrown at us. One thing that being thrown at us from people from beyond our Island but from other Irish people, it is clearly insulting.

I am proud to be Irish (of the Island).
I am proud to be an Irish citizen.
I am proud of the Irish Republic I was born into and feal a strong bond with it.

Really???

Nally Stand

Quote from: Mike Sheehy on March 31, 2011, 05:01:29 AM
Christ almighty....you Nordies are such windbags !

This is a thread about "Irish" people joining the british army. The thread actually went off topic because of people (or "windbags" as you call them,) from the 26 counties taking offence at the term "free stater" in the thread title. Hope that clears things up for you a chara.
"The island of saints & scholars...and gombeens & fuckin' arselickers" Christy Moore

Applesisapples

Quote from: muppet on March 31, 2011, 12:54:03 AM
Quote from: Shamrock Shore on March 31, 2011, 12:45:54 AM

Grape or Grain?

Either way you solved it.

Are ye POTATUC lads ok with being called POTATUC lads?

We can be: People of the area south of that area that UTV covers (POTASOTATUC)
UTV covers about 70/80 % of the Island are you calling for repartition? Bye Bye Kerry...

Applesisapples

Interesting debate, I never imagined that our Southern Fellow Country Men would take offence at the term Free State...See my previous posts as to why...But the thought did occur that perhaps it was out of some form of guilt albeit subconscious guilt about allegedly abandoning us Nordies to the Unionist wolves? Not that I believe that was the case as partition was always considered to be a temporary solution to the "Irish problem" by all concerned but our Unionist Fellow Countrymen as is their wont have been hard to shift...