Malta

Started by tyroneman, July 10, 2012, 07:25:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tyroneman

Anyone been? Good food? Cheap? Nice place?

Hardy

It was 25 years ago, but yes to all. Well, except the food. Not that it was bad, but it was unexceptional and limited in range. Rabbit is the staple meat - they don't go in much for other livestock, for traditional and economic reasons, as far as I can gather.

The island itself is beautiful. The historical interest is concentrated on the Knights and on the island's fortress status in WWII. Valetta is a very old city, good for wandering around. The people were fine. They speak Maltese among themselves but they all speak English. Despite the fact that they declared independence from the UK in the early 60s, there's a strong pro-British vibe and you wouldn't want to be bad-mouthing perfidious Albion.

There are a lot of expat British people there. The tourists were the civilised kind, not the union-jack-shorts, lager, full English breakfast and tattoos types.

A bizarre aspect of the place was the predominance of 1950s-60s British cars to the near total exclusion of all else - a consequence of the economic changes post independence.

The highlight of the place, for me, was the city of Medina, perched on a plateau in the centre of the island. It's a mediaeval city, practically unchanged since then. No motorised traffic is allowed in most of it. It's like stepping into the fifteenth or sixteenth century.

I'm not into beaches much, but there are plenty of them and they seemed grand.

As I said, this could well be a historical sketch - I don't know what has changed in 25 years, except for EU and Euro membership.

Tony Baloney

The brother-in-law was out a couple of times when his missus was doing placement out there. Would be a big fan of the place - not nuts in terms of nightlife but if you want a quieter affair then it's a good spot. From recollection he said it was quite hilly so a car was a must for getting around unless you plan on hanging around the beach.

ziggy90

I was out there about 7 years ago and would agree both of the above posts. However I do remember we travelled everywhere on public transport (Charabancs -with the old wooly seats). I'd agree with Hardy re- Medina but another must is a trip to the island of Gozo (short ferry ride).
Questions that shouldn't be asked shouldn't be answered

ziggy90

Quote from: Hardy on July 10, 2012, 12:43:13 PM
It was 25 years ago, but yes to all. Well, except the food. Not that it was bad, but it was unexceptional and limited in range. Rabbit is the staple meat - they don't go in much for other livestock, for traditional and economic reasons, as far as I can gather.

The island itself is beautiful. The historical interest is concentrated on the Knights and on the island's fortress status in WWII. Valetta is a very old city, good for wandering around. The people were fine. They speak Maltese among themselves but they all speak English. Despite the fact that they declared independence from the UK in the early 60s, there's a strong pro-British vibe and you wouldn't want to be bad-mouthing perfidious Albion.

There are a lot of expat British people there. The tourists were the civilised kind, not the union-jack-shorts, lager, full English breakfast and tattoos types.

A bizarre aspect of the place was the predominance of 1950s-60s British cars to the near total exclusion of all else - a consequence of the economic changes post independence.

The highlight of the place, for me, was the city of Medina, perched on a plateau in the centre of the island. It's a mediaeval city, practically unchanged since then. No motorised traffic is allowed in most of it. It's like stepping into the fifteenth or sixteenth century.

I'm not into beaches much, but there are plenty of them and they seemed grand.

As I said, this could well be a historical sketch - I don't know what has changed in 25 years, except for EU and Euro membership.

I do remember one old goat (typical Colonel Blimp type) saying to a lovely young waitress "you do realise that it's us who are paying your wages". I couldn't help tearing into the pompous, arrogant ass. There was absolutely no reason or excuse for what he said.

Hardy

Well done, Ziggy. Did he get the point that it should be "it's WE who are paying your wages"?

ziggy90

Newbridge Exile

Quote from: tyroneman on July 10, 2012, 07:25:55 AM
Anyone been? Good food? Cheap? Nice place?
There in March, Stages in Julians, really enjoyed it, not much in the way of Sandy beaches, for  nightlife Paceville  in St  Julianswould be the main area, , Valetta is nice to visit   not much happening at  night though,
Plenty of good public play parkss for kids on the waterfront walk between St  and Sleima