Record numbers of free staters flock to join British Army

Started by Trout, March 29, 2011, 07:24:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Trout

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/record-numbers-of-irish-recruits-join-british-army-2597027.html

RECORD numbers of Irish people are joining the British armed forces, with the levels increasing by upwards of 10pc each year for the past six years.
It is now estimated that 4,000 Irish citizens are in the Royal Navy, Royal Air Force or the British army.
Separately, figures obtained by the Irish Independent show the Irish Defence Forces received 79 applications for every officer cadetship position on offer this year.
A total of 2,365 people applied for just 30 officer cadetship places, a similar scenario to last year when 2,553 people applied for 32 places.
The 30 new cadets will get 15 months training before becoming officers, or "decision- makers", within the army. The numbers applying for positions in the Defence Forces has soared in the past two years, with 1,000 applications received in one week alone last year.
With a starting salary of €30,000, the positions within the air corps, army and navy are coveted as job availability falls off elsewhere.
Recruitment

But with just 30 places on offer this year, many are turning to the British army.
Last year, Irish and Commonwealth nationals formed 5pc of Britain's entire overall recruitment.
Precise numbers are not available for the total number of people joining from the Republic each year -- but it is estimated that upwards of 4,000 Irish citizens are now in the British armed forces.
One British army source said that recruits from the Republic were especially prized because most boast a decent education and all want to make the military their career.
"It is no surprise that a significant number of non-commissioned officers are from Ireland," he said.
In 2006 -- 12 months after British troops largely withdrew from patrolling the streets of Northern Ireland -- people from the Republic already made up 4pc of recruitment in the province.
In 2008, recruitment figures for Northern Ireland showed that 16pc of those joining the British defence forces had addresses in the Republic.
Each year from 2005 to today, the numbers joining the British army from the Republic have increased.
Initial indications are that the recruitment number will increase again this year.
- Ralph Riegel and Edel Kennedy
Sinn Fein delivers -

British rule

Tubberman

who are these free stater people you refer to in the thread title?
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

Trout

Quote from: Tubberman on March 29, 2011, 07:30:43 PM

You know who they are, It isn't derogatory it is just how I have always refered to people down there

I am sure Lizzie could maybe meet all  the new recruits when she is over visiting
Sinn Fein delivers -

British rule

Tony Baloney

Quote from: Trout on March 29, 2011, 07:42:11 PM

You know who they are, It isn't derogatory it is just how I have always refered to people down there

I am sure Lizzie could maybe meet all  the new recruits when she is over visiting
There will probably more recruits when the Head of the Armed Forces visits.

mylestheslasher

Quote from: Tony Baloney on March 29, 2011, 08:29:59 PM
Quote from: Trout on March 29, 2011, 07:42:11 PM

There will probably more recruits when the Head of the Armed Forces visits.

There will always be a few knobs in every country, they should be asked to hand in their passports on their way out of the country. No better than mercenaries.

Hurler on the Bitch

Listen, its nothing new. In 1954 the IRA raided Omagh Barracks looking for arms and in the crossfire three British Soldiers were injured - 2 from Sligo and 1 from Dublin!

muppet

Quote from: Hurler on the Bitch on March 29, 2011, 09:59:06 PM
Listen, its nothing new. In 1954 the IRA raided Omagh Barracks looking for arms and in the crossfire three British Soldiers were injured - 2 from Sligo and 1 from Dublin!

Tom Crean?

I take it free will wouldn't be part of a pure Republican's Republic?
MWWSI 2017

Ulick

4000 is a "record" number. I wonder when the record keeping began.  ???

My nephew was one of the officer cadets who made it to the three day assessment. He was saying most of the boys in the barracks were intending to join up with the Brits if they weren't successful. IMO they should be stripped of their citizenship.

Tubberman

Quote from: Ulick on March 29, 2011, 10:21:40 PM

My nephew was one of the officer cadets who made it to the three day assessment. He was saying most of the boys in the barracks were intending to join up with the Brits if they weren't successful. IMO they should be stripped of their citizenship.

I can certainly see why people would have a problem with irish men and women joining the british army, but that's just ridiculous.
This isn't a dictatorship, free will exists.
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

mylestheslasher

Quote from: Tubberman on March 29, 2011, 10:35:34 PM
Quote from: Ulick on March 29, 2011, 10:21:40 PM

I don't really understand why someone would want to join the british army, but that's just ridiculous.
This isn't a dictatorship, free will exists.

In a dictatorship they'd be shot. I agree 100% with Ulick on this one. Why the hell should any Irishman be permitted to join an army that has shot and murdered Irish citizens for 100's of years right up to the present. They have the free will to do so if they so wish, Ireland should have the free will to tell them to leave their passports at the ferry when they leave.

Tyrones own

Ye sound surprised lads  ???
Likely the same gobshites that would be quite vocal
In their partitionist viewpoint when ye get them
Talking in the pub  ::)
Where all think alike, no one thinks very much.
  - Walter Lippmann

muppet

Ulick wants them stripped of their citizenship,
If Myles was dictator they'd be shot,
While TO wants to chat them up in a pub.

Three horrible fates.
MWWSI 2017

Ulick

I just did a quick Google there to see if I could find the actual numbers taking the shilling and swearing the oath. In doing so I came across a Tribune article from December which says there was 85 last year and 8 the year before. Anyone want to suggest how the Indo got their 'estimate' of 4k? Looks like "Sir" Tony is playing at recruitment sergeant - and that's another **** who should be stripped of his citizenship.   

muppet

Quote from: Ulick on March 29, 2011, 11:16:01 PM
I just did a quick Google there to see if I could find the actual numbers taking the shilling and swearing the oath. In doing so I came across a Tribune article from December which says there was 85 last year and 8 the year before. Anyone want to suggest how the Indo got their 'estimate' of 4k? Looks like "Sir" Tony is playing at recruitment sergeant - and that's another **** who should be stripped of his citizenship.

Sadly the Tribune is the one that is gone.
MWWSI 2017

Niall Quinn

Back to the howling old owl in the woods, hunting the horny back toad