Figuring out who is catholic on the NI soccer panel

Started by seafoid, May 26, 2016, 11:05:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

omaghjoe

I only know two players and know what they are if you really want to know Seafoid. Not that I could give a flyin fiddlers what they are, more vexed that young McGinn never had a turn for Tyrone but fair play hes makin a livin at it.

Although going by surnames is a dangerous game. Alot of Catholic surnames are anglicised or swapped for English names. Then there is the names of Scottish origin that could be either like Campbell and McDonald, weirldy enough I think that these surnames probably have the same ancestral Scottish clan, but the time that they came to Ireland meant they had different religions and different identities. Then there is the Catholic surnames where Catholics became Protestant and to a lesser extent viseversa, more common in the East. Of course there is also mixed marriages.

tonto1888

Ive never supported the north as a football team and I wont start now

Ronnie

Quote from: seafoid on May 27, 2016, 04:02:58 AM
Quote from: Ronnie on May 27, 2016, 12:01:55 AM
Wrong. Northern Ireland is not 1/2th a province. It's 1/4th of a nation. ROI is 3/4qtrs of a nation. Which European countries are better? Us northern scum live in the best country in the world. Who else has 2 countries to support? The Beautiful South is another issue entirely. Who cares who takes his decree from Pope Francie?
Kosovars have 2 countries to support. The bucks in Kaliningrad don't go around claiming nationhood .

Ok.  They've their right to support Kosovo, Serbia, Albania, whoever.  We're entitled to our nationhood and can support whomsoever we choose.  Shouldn't we be very grateful for that?

AQMP

Quote from: naka on May 26, 2016, 06:41:18 PM
Quote from: BennyCake on May 26, 2016, 11:18:25 AM
Was wondering how these billboards of the players will go down in their home town/village. In particular, Niall McGinn's in Donaghmore.

...and Chris Baird, wherever he's from again.
Loving Kyle lafferty billboard in newry

For what's it worth hope both Ireland's do well
As long as the gaa is on tv the euros won't annoy me

I notice the Oliver Norwood poster doesn't say "Burnley"

Main Street

I hope the 6 county team do well, though I suspect they will be tanked and hosed technically by the other 3 teams. This is a historic first that both teams have made the finals together.

OgraAnDun

Quote from: michaelg on May 26, 2016, 08:58:08 PM
Quote from: OgraAnDun on May 26, 2016, 08:33:01 PM
Quote from: michaelg on May 26, 2016, 08:31:13 PM
Quote from: lurganblue on May 26, 2016, 02:37:59 PM
Quote from: Keyboard Warrior on May 26, 2016, 02:07:05 PM
Quote from: stew on May 26, 2016, 12:35:14 PM
Who gives a f**k!

I am going to support the north during these championships!

I never lived in the south and have far more in common with the northern prods than I ever did the southern Catholics.

I hope both do well but you can shove both national anthems up your arise, I have no use for anything that divides us as a people.

Up Armagh ya b**tards.

Good on you Stew, we should all be more like you. Us other northerners who support the Republic team obviously haven't taken the time (or don't have the intellect) to weigh up those factors.

Seeing as you've more in common with the northern Prods than the southern Catholics, it would be a good idea to go watch the NI matches in some shaddy pub in Craigavon; I'm sure they'll be happy to put on the Armagh afterwards. Up Armagh and all that.

I'll f**k be supporting that shower... just because theyve managed to get to a major tournament doesnt mean thy've stopped hating me because of the religion i was born into. Oh aye but sure theyve changed and arent like that anymore  ::)
Yes, that's right, all Protestant Northern Ireland fans hate Catholics.  Do you actually believe that?

Nobody does, but while they still sing chants such as 'The Bouncy Song', the overriding atmosphere will be one of anti-Catholic hatred.
FFS, wise up.

Thanks to your opinion I have now seen the light, I shall be attending "Northern Ireland" matches, waving my hybrid England fleg, belting out GSTQ at the top of my voice, and singing little songs that the nationalist community should just realise is part of unionist kulture so they know their rightful place in society.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: seafoid on May 26, 2016, 05:54:21 PM
I bought a French guide to the Euros and it says Michael O'Neill's nationality in Northern Irish.
Does such a nationality exist?

I presume anyone called Billy or Josh would kick with the other foot.

You clearly are on the wind up with this thread. I'm surprised that its managed 5 pages... for a person who's well travelled and says he knows a lot of shit you can come across as a bit of a twat
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

armaghniac

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on May 27, 2016, 11:26:33 AM
I bought a French guide to the Euros and it says Michael O'Neill's nationality in Northern Irish.

You clearly are on the wind up with this thread. I'm surprised that its managed 5 pages... for a person who's well travelled and says he knows a lot of shit you can come across as a bit of a twat

Somebody making up a nationality is also clearly a bit of twat.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Milltown Row2

Quote from: armaghniac on May 27, 2016, 11:41:02 AM

Somebody making up a nationality is also clearly a bit of twat.

No one said any different  but seriously ? the Galway man is clearly taking the hand out of any Nationalist on this board that lives in N.I ....... its not a nationality but I'm from the north and I'm Irish .. His dad played nets for our club for many years
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

seafoid

I think it's actually an interesting thread. I wasn't aware of how people up north felt about the team.
I remember growing up down south that any sporting victory by anyone from the north would be not in the same league as someone from the south winning. Dennis Taylor for example 
I think the success of the GAA teams has opened things up a bit but it's still strange when it comes to soccer. RTE are very precious about the Republic of Oireland team as well.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

AZOffaly

Seafoid, I remember Denis Taylor and Alex Higgins winning, and it was a massive deal. I think you are trying to rise our 6 county brothers.

Hardy

Quote from: AZOffaly on May 27, 2016, 12:32:12 PM
I think you are trying to rise our 6 county brothers.

Who would be foolish enough to take on such an impossible task?

50fiftyball

As a "Nordie", among other names our southern counterparts call us  ;D , I have good  friends that have played for N.I. Soccer teams. It's entirely personal preference, I would be very much Republic supporter only. The N.I. team don't bother me in any way, I just take no interest in following them.

I think it's actually an interesting thread. I wasn't aware of how people up north felt about the team.
I remember growing up down south that any sporting victory by anyone from the north would be not in the same league as someone from the south winning. Dennis Taylor for example 
I think the success of the GAA teams has opened things up a bit but it's still strange when it comes to soccer. RTE are very precious about the Republic of Oireland team as well.
[/quote]

I would agree there that there is a lot of jealousy when "Sam"crosses the border, as if it's been stolen from its rightful place... May get used to it this September again!  ;)

Walter Cronc

Quote from: 50fiftyball on May 27, 2016, 12:40:32 PM
As a "Nordie", among other names our southern counterparts call us  ;D , I have good  friends that have played for N.I. Soccer teams. It's entirely personal preference, I would be very much Republic supporter only. The N.I. team don't bother me in any way, I just take no interest in following them.

I would agree there that there is a lot of jealousy when "Sam"crosses the border, as if it's been stolen from its rightful place... May get used to it this September again!  ;)
[/quote]

So 50/50 is a Ballinderry man.

seafoid

Quote from: AZOffaly on May 27, 2016, 12:32:12 PM
Seafoid, I remember Denis Taylor and Alex Higgins winning, and it was a massive deal. I think you are trying to rise our 6 county brothers.

Even with Rory McIlroy today it is the same , imo. Especially if the swine chooses not to play for Ireland
Darren Clarke wouldn't get the same treatment as Padraig Harrington.
When NI beat Spain in 1982 there was some excitement but when Oireland got to the Euros in 88 the place went mad.

RTE is a partitionist institution 

But they are obliged to cover Tyrone.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU