Mayo Club Football.

Started by intoDwest, November 10, 2006, 11:34:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

stephenite

You use the word rural and it implies that they are a club struggling to field a team, the fact that they can field 3 successful adult teams suggests otherwise. Kilfian would be a rural club, Crossmolina would not

the Deel Rover

Quote from: stephenite on August 28, 2007, 01:58:33 AM
Ah I'm not writing off Crossmolina per se - just a figure of speech to illustrate that I believe Ballagh are strong favourites to win the championship.
Still a lot of football to be played and if the Stephenites can click with a full team playing their best they'll be hard stopped.

And the Moclair Cup does not belong to any club, least of all a Johnny come lately club who's victory count is still only in single digits :D

A haul of 6 county tiltles and 7 leagues in 12 years is not bad for a team of Johnny come latelys.Still its nice to have been the 1st mayo team to win the Andy Merrigan cup ;) we had to show you Ballina boys how to win it :P .But i think the Big difference between Ballina and Cross is attitude, since cross won the AI in 2001 they have won another 3 county titles and a connaught and contested another Ai whereas Ballina have won nothing since 2005 its as if they are happy with their lot.To tell you the truth Stephenite i thought that they would dominate the club scene for years after 2005 but that has not happened.   
Crossmolina Deel Rovers
All Ireland Club Champions 2001

mannix

Hello deel,
did you get my message.

the Deel Rover

Crossmolina Deel Rovers
All Ireland Club Champions 2001

stephenite

Quote from: the Deel Rover on August 29, 2007, 10:28:02 AM
Quote from: stephenite on August 28, 2007, 01:58:33 AM
Ah I'm not writing off Crossmolina per se - just a figure of speech to illustrate that I believe Ballagh are strong favourites to win the championship.
Still a lot of football to be played and if the Stephenites can click with a full team playing their best they'll be hard stopped.

And the Moclair Cup does not belong to any club, least of all a Johnny come lately club who's victory count is still only in single digits :D

A haul of 6 county tiltles and 7 leagues in 12 years is not bad for a team of Johnny come latelys.Still its nice to have been the 1st mayo team to win the Andy Merrigan cup ;) we had to show you Ballina boys how to win it :P .But i think the Big difference between Ballina and Cross is attitude, since cross won the AI in 2001 they have won another 3 county titles and a connaught and contested another Ai whereas Ballina have won nothing since 2005 its as if they are happy with their lot.To tell you the truth Stephenite i thought that they would dominate the club scene for years after 2005 but that has not happened.   

The haul from the current generation of Cross players is not bad at all, quite impressive. Both clubs managed back to back titles in this decade, which in itself is very impressive for such a competitive championship.

However any notion that one team should have gone onto dominate is wide of the mark. Given the resources required to compete at this level for players it would be very difficult for any club to sustain a period of domination in Mayo senior footbal.

The Stephenites went up to Croke Park in '99 and kicked an All Ireland away, the younger players that day took that experience and went off, built another team around the newer group of lads coming through, and came back and righted the wrong - Crossmolina showed them nothing, they already knew what had to be done, that says a lot about attitude does it not?

Any club side that has acheived the level of success that Ballina and Crossmolina have, points to two fairly proud and committed group of young men. I know it gives ye a sense of superiority over the watery townies to think otherwise but I don't feel it's a valid point, and indeed the same accusation could have been said of ye in '03 and '04, but it wouldn't have been correct either.

billy the kid

What do you call two turkeys with a football???
If it moves hit it
If it doesnt hit it anyway!!

billy the kid

The Mayo midfield ;D ;D ;D ;D :-* :-*
If it moves hit it
If it doesnt hit it anyway!!

Farrandeelin

Stephenite, I meant Knockmore not Cross! Afterall, we have won the Moclair Cup more than anyone else! ;D
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

StoneWall

Got these results from www.mayogaa.com (unreliable at times!), can anyone confirm them? Very surprised to see Ballintubber beaten, I strongly fancied them for the 'A' title.

U-21 A Championship Semi Final
Crossmolina Deel Rovers 0-10 1-6 Ballintubber
Burrishoole 0-12 1-12 Castlebar Mitchels

U-21 B Championship Semi Final
St Gerards 1-8 0-14 Ballinrobe
Achill 1-12 0-17 Shrule-Glencorrib

stephenite

Quote from: Farrandeelin on August 29, 2007, 08:32:20 PM
Stephenite, I meant Knockmore not Cross! Afterall, we have won the Moclair Cup more than anyone else! ;D

How long has the Moclair Cup been awarded to the county champions?

Roll of honour here : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mayo_Senior_Football_Championship

Owenmoresider

1971 IIRC, think that's what the final programme said last year.

In which case Knockmore have the most, with Cross, Garrymore and even Ballina close by.

Edit: looking at the wiki (part of which i'd updated) that would be correct. Mind you I didn't think this year's final had been played. ;D

magpie seanie

Was chatting to a lad last night who was at the Burrishoole/Castlebar game and he reckoned that Burrishoole kicked it away. Missed several goal chances while Mitchels took their one.

AbbeySider

Quote from: magpie seanie on August 30, 2007, 09:50:44 AM
Was chatting to a lad last night who was at the Burrishoole/Castlebar game and he reckoned that Burrishoole kicked it away. Missed several goal chances while Mitchels took their one.

Im not ready to talk about the Ballintubber/Crossmolina U-21 game yet. Devastated for a number of reasons. Il gather my thoughts and post again  :(  :'(

Terry Tate

Abbey this is what I thought of the whole thing.

If Ballintubber took there early goal chances I think they would have easily beaten cross. They lost all composure in front of goal after that. There was a lot of passing in front of the goal but no one to take a long-range score or even a simple tap over. I thought Padraig O'Connor didn't play to his usual standards at all but he was still your best forward. They were playing really well at that time even though the scoreboard didn't reflect it. Cross fair play to them took their chances and needed to because they found the going very tough against a very good defence. Benson was very quite due to the marking job by the corner back. Only on a couple of occasions he got away from his marker.

To very good midfield performances from both teams. Mark Leonard from cross and that giant number 8 from Ballintubber. A draw would have been a fair result, both teams worked very hard. Ballintubber threw everything at us in the last few minutes it was nerve-racking stuff.

On a separate note how much injury time did the ref play? I could swear he played over 40mins total for the second half.

AbbeySider

Quote from: Terry Tate on August 31, 2007, 10:22:11 AM
Abbey this is what I thought of the whole thing.

If Ballintubber took there early goal chances I think they would have easily beaten cross. They lost all composure in front of goal after that. There was a lot of passing in front of the goal but no one to take a long-range score or even a simple tap over. I thought Padraig O'Connor didn't play to his usual standards at all but he was still your best forward. They were playing really well at that time even though the scoreboard didn't reflect it. Cross fair play to them took their chances and needed to because they found the going very tough against a very good defence. Benson was very quite due to the marking job by the corner back. Only on a couple of occasions he got away from his marker.

To very good midfield performances from both teams. Mark Leonard from cross and that giant number 8 from Ballintubber. A draw would have been a fair result, both teams worked very hard. Ballintubber threw everything at us in the last few minutes it was nerve-racking stuff.

On a separate note how much injury time did the ref play? I could swear he played over 40mins total for the second half.

It was a strange game. I have never seen our forwards play so bad. In fairness they panicked a little and went for too many goals when they should have been taking their points. We got an early goal and missed a lot after that because they kept looking for the ball in over the top trying to score another goal when they should have been taking their points. The game should have been over in the first half with all the chances.

It was 01-01 to 5 points at half time and I wasnt a bit worried because I thought that the forwards needed to settle and we seemed to be in control. I was waiting for the forwards to come into it. There was a lot of pressure from cross and they took their scores well. Again in the second half we were trying to work the ball in when points should have been taken. P O Connor was quiet enough and missed one or two chances but there was no one running off his shoulder when in possession.

Apart from that a lot of players seemed nervous and never settled in the game. I thought we were much much better than we showed and if we took our chances the game would be out the gate.

Thats whats most devastating really, knowing you were good enough but not being able to reflect it on the scoreboard.

On the day our backs did very well, Declan Larkin was marking Benson and kept him fairly quiet. Its hard to believe he was overlooked this year at county U-21 level. Cathal Hallinan also had a stormer at centre back but usually plays in the corner. He is U-21 again next year. The forwards just couldnt pull it together. Midfield was a good battle. We won it in the first half and Corss got on top in the second half. I noticed Cross were keeping the kickouts away from our no. 8 which was Kevin McGuiness. He is a good fielder of the ball.

It will be a very very interesting final. A hard one to call. I have a feeling if we met mitchals in the final we would win because this bunch of lads always seem to beat them in finals and there wouldnt be much need for motivation, it being a local derby.

talking to people they seem to think that mitchals are a stronger team with great backs and midfield. I have a feeling that thay may not be as hungry as cross all the same. We shall see.

Im in Canada for the next two weeks and id say I will miss the finall ? Does anyone know what date its on?