Mayo Club Football.

Started by intoDwest, November 10, 2006, 11:34:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fishead_Sam

Davitt Man

Its an open draw alright, any idea when these games will be on?

Barney

Afraid to say I did hear the rumour about Hanley - not that he has signed - but that he is being scouted. Would be losing what looks like our most genuine prospect in years.

Davitt Man

If thats true about hanely, its a shame but its a massive opportunity for him if it arises, he has to take that chance if he gets it.

AbbeySider

I heard shrule dropped the two Mortimors off the team yesterday?
Anybody know what thats about?

Fishead_Sam

Maybe ha come back in 3 years built like a tank and make a Kerry Half or Full back crap himself!

AbbeySider

Quote from: AbbeySider on July 30, 2007, 02:30:27 PM
I heard shrule dropped the two Mortimors off the team yesterday?
Anybody know what thats about?

I also heard that the Mortimors are not training with the club and that Conor is going to be transferring to Na Fianna soon?

Can anyone confirm that?

Davitt Man

There must be something going on up there in Shrule, they needed a big score to overtake garrymore and qualify from the group yet they left the 2 morts on the bench, very strange indeed. With Conor in DCU and playing with them there is a very good chance he could swtich to the local team Na Fianna

Tubberman

It's true about Hanley unfortunately (for us)  :(
The only thing remaining to sort out is when he goes, not if he goes. A huge loss to Mayo football
http://www.mayonews.ie/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=2074&Itemid=39

Mayo News also says the Morts were dropped for disciplinary reasons, but there's no mention of Conor joining Na Fianna. 
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

Davitt Man

Any idea when the draw for the c\ship is on

Bomber2312

http://www.gopetition.com/petitions/save-ballina-basketball.html

Lads completely off topic but had to throw it in, Some of you may or may not know that Ballina Basketball club is being forced to play in the southern conference next season by basketball ireland(the governing body(suprisingly picking on the mayo men)), it would add considerable cost to their budget and they could even go out of business. Could anyone willing take two minutes to sign the petition. Thanks and sorry for going off topic.

Here's cliona foley's article from Indo yesterday

Ballina faced with financial ruin

Go  By Cliona Foley
Wednesday August 01 2007

ONE of the country's most famous basketball clubs, Team Merry Monk of Ballina, says it is being threatened with financial ruin after being forced to join the Southern Conference of the Irish Superleague.

Mayo footballers Liam McHale and Ronan McGarrity star for the club which has always played in the northern half of the Superleague, along with sides from Belfast and Dublin.

But Basketball Ireland's decision to accept a new Belfast club into the competition has seen them move Ballina into the Southern Conference to even up the numbers.

This means all of the Mayo team's away games will be in Kerry, Cork and Limerick which they reckon will add 1,000 miles and costs of €10,000 to their season, as teams play everyone else in their conference three times a-year.

Ballina has long flown the flag for Irish basketball in Connacht. The club has a storied history along with two prestigious Irish Senior Cup titles.

"This is a body blow to the country's best supported team," said McHale. "Ballina is unique in that it consistently has full houses.

"What happens the fans now? This decision discriminates against the true spirit of basketball."

"This restructuring of the league has put all our work into serious doubt and we're all deeply hurt and feel betrayed by the Basketball Association," added team coach Terry Kennedy.

Ballina invested millions in a custom-built venue and rejoined the top tier in 2003. They were Northern Conference champions in 2006 and Superleague runners-up last year, beaten in a thrilling finale by Killester.

Ballina have sought a hearing to appeal the decision which was made by the Superleague Management Board (SLMB) and subsequently green-lighted by the rest of the clubs.

- Cliona Foley

Farrandeelin

My prediction for the co championship at this stage would be Crossmolina. All the favouritism directed Ballagh's way is bound to suit Cross down to the ground. Ballina, now that they've qualified will also give a give any team a hard game and would also be up there in the running for the favourite spot.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Davitt Man

Any idea when the draw for the quarter finals of the c\ship is on

MrB

Quote from: Davitt Man on August 07, 2007, 11:57:38 AM
Any idea when the draw for the quarter finals of the c\ship is on

Draw is Next Monday night. QF games are to be played last weekend in August

Anyone know for sure if the quarter final draw is seeded. I think it is a open draw but most people tell me I am wrong and that group winners can only draw runners up.

Davitt Man

Last year the draw was an open draw but then people were not happy with this as there was no incentive to finish top of your group. So i thought this year there was going to be a seeded draw but i believe this is not going to happen and it is an open draw again.

Any idea if the rel playoffs are on the same weekend as the q\finals