Brexit.

Started by T Fearon, November 01, 2015, 06:04:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Walter Cronc

Personally I'd like a better leader than O'Neill.

Granted shes up against a horrible shower but I don't think she has it.

Kickham csc

Quote from: trailer on January 18, 2019, 03:34:14 PM
Quote from: haranguerer on January 18, 2019, 01:43:15 PM
Quote from: naka on January 18, 2019, 01:23:40 PM
Quote from: 93-DY-SAM on January 18, 2019, 01:13:54 PM
Quote from: gallsman on January 18, 2019, 10:58:50 AM
Farmers who vote DUP will continue to vote DUP until they're six feet underground.

That says all you need to know about their voters never mind the DUP themselves. It might make a handful sit up and consider where to place their X or 1,2,3 but when push comes to shove and they are standing in the polling booth they just can't bring themselves to vote for someone else incase one of them'uns got it.
to be fair our side is as bad
I have family who will vote like sheep to stop the other side
no rationale simply to make sure the other side don't get elected

Voting to attempt to deny the DUP a seat sounds perfectly rational to me.

Yes an the other side does the same, Vote DUP to deny SF. Hence you've two big parties that people don't really want.
People get the politicians they deserve. Sad.

Is this not the phase of the  long term normalization process that we were always going to pass through.

From a change management Point of view, the DUP and supporters are clearly holding on the view that nothing has changed and the Unionists don't have to discuss, compromise, reach out to the nationalist community. They have not began the process of normalization.

It's going to take another generation or two before "normalized politics" resumes.

Was this not the same down south after the civil war? Wasn't it Fine Gael 'v' Fianna Fáil for a long time  before other parties came in to take same allocation of votes away?

NI needs more time, a Generation or two before we are weaned off the power of the big two

Insane Bolt

This from a barrister friend of mine earlier today.....my head hurt after reading it😩

No deal? No problem. Here's an extract of the summary guidance on civil justice from the Law Society...happy reading..National law rules will apply to this area of the law in the UK and in EU/EEA member states (unless otherwise stated in the guidance), as all reciprocal elements of EU law will cease to have effect. In the UK, they will be repealed by the UK government.
In some cases, bilateral treaties and conventions pre-dating EU membership may exist between the UK and EU member states. To find out whether this is the case, you will need to consult the national law of the state concerned. You may also need to contact a local lawyer in that country.
Where the parties have an exclusive choice of court agreement, the UK will accede to the 2005 Hague Convention. This will be applied between the UK and EU/EEA states, and other states party to that convention.
In relation to Service of Documents and Taking of Evidence, the Hague Conventions will continue to apply.
The status of ongoing cases is unclear. The rules governing the enforceability of any case decided after 29 March 2019 will cease to have effect, and there is a risk that parallel cases may be taken in multiple jurisdictions.
The Brussels I Regulation will no longer apply between the UK and EU27. It is likely that England and Wales will fall back on pre-existing common law rules for the recognition and enforcement of foreign judgments.
The government has signalled its intention to adopt the 2005 Hague Convention on choice-of-court agreements in the event of a no-deal Brexit. This convention provides only for the recognition and enforcement of judgments where the parties have concluded an exclusive choice-of-court agreement.
The national law of each EU/EEA state will determine whether a foreign UK judgment can be recognised and enforced in that jurisdiction.
The Insolvency Regulation will no longer be applicable between the UK and EU27 member states. An insolvency officeholder appointed in the UK will have difficulty obtaining recognition in the EU.
Other EU regulations concerning the creation of special instruments in specific fields (eg the Motor Insurance Directive) will no longer apply. EU rules protecting the weaker party, for example victims of motor accidents, will no longer apply in the UK.

armaghniac

Quote from: Kickham csc on January 18, 2019, 04:20:26 PM
NI needs more time, a Generation or two before we are weaned off the power of the big two

It is 21 years since the GFA, time for some change.
Imagine if West Germany and France in 1970 we still going on about the war!
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Smokin Joe

Quote from: armaghniac on January 18, 2019, 04:41:16 PM

There won't be any meaningful change here until there is integrated education.  Until that happens there will always be a "them" and "us" as the kids (and parents) of different religions don't really have many opportunities to mix.

What really hits home to me is when I think of pubs in Armagh city.  There must be about a dozen or more,and with the exception of the Hotel I would think that every other establishment would be seen as either a "catholic pub" or a "protestant pub".  That is crazy and tells me that we are a long way away from being a "normal" society.
I appreciate it's different in Belfast city centre.

Rossfan

So when are ye going to integrate the pubs?
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

bennydorano

Victoria Bar and Hole in the Wall probably the only 2, with honourable mentions to the British Legion & Cricket Club.

Throw ball

Quote from: bennydorano on January 18, 2019, 10:55:16 PM
Victoria Bar and Hole in the Wall probably the only 2, with honourable mentions to the British Legion & Cricket Club.

To be fair in the last few years both bars would get more Catholic customers. The Cricket Club not so many.

seafoid

Quote from: armaghniac on January 18, 2019, 04:41:16 PM

The Germans had to be denazified and re-educated and they don't
live in the same space as the French.
Unionist groupthink is a product of one half of the education system and as long it is manufactured things will be complicated
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

RedHand88

I was driving through armagh and saw the limerick football team piled into Victoria bar one night after playing Tyrone up in omagh in a backdoor game a few years back. Gave me a good laugh.

RadioGAAGAA

Quote from: Insane Bolt on January 18, 2019, 04:37:51 PM
This from a barrister friend of mine earlier today.....my head hurt after reading it😩

No deal? No problem.

No problem as far as the lawyers are concerned. They'll just get paid more when the cases are drawn out as they figure what laws are actually applicable.

For, pretty much every other industry - losing the regulatory frameworks (food standards/material standards/process standards) means anything produced may not be fit for use elsewhere in the world. Will parliament redo the old British Standards? Will they match existing EU standards? Can they do that and reconcile with all areas?
i usse an speelchekor

Aaron Boone

Quote from: RedHand88 on January 19, 2019, 07:47:30 AM

I was driving through armagh and saw the limerick football team piled into Victoria bar one night after playing Tyrone up in omagh in a backdoor game a few years back. Gave me a good laugh.

They sung a Cranberries tune rather than Seán South.

seafoid

https://www.ft.com/content/c44581c2-1a75-11e9-9e64-d150b3105d21
   Britain has failed to finalise most trade deals needed to replace the EU's 40 existing agreements with leading global economies and will not be close to doing so when Brexit occurs on March 29, according to an internal Whitehall memorandum.

The memo, compiled by civil servants as part of contingency planning for the UK crashing out of the EU without a formal Brussels divorce agreement, warned that most of the deals would lapse without a transition period that keeps Britain under the EU umbrella once Brexit occurs.

"Almost none of them are ready to go now and none will be ready to go by March," said one government official who has seen the internal analysis of the Department for International Trade's progress.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

RedHand88

Quote from: Aaron Boone on January 19, 2019, 01:27:24 PM
Quote from: RedHand88 on January 19, 2019, 07:47:30 AM

They sung a Cranberries tune rather than Seán South.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=iwnw24VWMGs

red hander