Credit where credits due?

Started by lfdown2, August 12, 2009, 10:31:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

T Fearon

All charges will be dropped in due course

lfdown2

would not be a big fan of the psni by any stretch though tony to be fair not to long ago they would have facilitated this and perhaps in some places still would, just thought at least there seems to be a move in the right direction, surely even you could admit that?

T Fearon

As one who lives near Banbridge and visits the town quire regularly, it is sad that sectarian conflict is on the rise in a town which ironically, largely escaped this during the period of unrest (yes I know there were bombs etc but there was no communal conflict and I know of a few mixed marriage couples who chose to live in Banbridge).

It seems to me that the comparatively recent election of a Sinn Fein Councillor and his subsequent attempts to push forward with an equality agenda in terms of flags etc has riled some of the natives who were much happier with one or two SDLP councillors who were trusted not to rock the boat.

While not denying that the Police Service of the North of ireland is infinitely better than the RUC (who wouldn't be) the jury is still out on its performance. Its easy arresting people (givng the impression that you're doing something) but charges can be dropped and very often are quite easily

Maguire01

Regarding an equality agenda for flags - just take them all* down.

* apart from sports flags, which I have no problem with, as long as they're up for an occassion and taken down in good time.

deiseach

Quote from: T Fearon on August 12, 2009, 02:13:53 PM
While not denying that the Police Service of the North of ireland is infinitely better than the RUC (who wouldn't be) the jury is still out on its performance. Its easy arresting people (givng the impression that you're doing something) but charges can be dropped and very often are quite easily

Jaysus. How times change - and for the better too

corn02

Will be an on-going issue anyway.

DennistheMenace

Quote from: Maguire01 on August 12, 2009, 02:21:59 PM

* apart from sports flags, which I have no problem with, as long as they're up for an occassion and taken down in good time.

Agreed.

T Fearon

Agree also with the point of removing all flags

But didn't hundreds of Oarnge men turn up late at night at a recent Banbridge Council meeting led by the Grand Wizard to "protest" against the removal of Elizabeth Windsor's portrait (and other British symbols) from the Council Chamber, thus intimidating the sole Sinn Fein member?

Did the Police effectively intervene on this occasion? No, I didn't think so.

LeoMc

Quote from: Maguire01 on August 12, 2009, 02:21:59 PM

That is the important bit. Nothing worse than a few tatty rags (from whatecver origin) hanging on lamp posts in the dead of winter, very dis-respectful to the flag (And what it represents).

Whitehair

Car load of us coming back from Pairc Esler tonight about 10.30 took a spin down the said street, a police van was parked at one of the estates but no flags on any lamposts, as we drove on i looked into an estate were a group of mainly teenagers were, one of the fella's with a bunch of flags under his arm.