China Coronavirus

Started by lurganblue, January 23, 2020, 09:52:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Milltown Row2

I brought it up before on the US political thread, and bar the US based ex-pats it's a shit show on a different level and bears no resemblance to here. Our politics is based on religion and it's territorial. America? Shit show and anyone over here I know looks at it with minimal interest other than the election.

If a country has a bearing on our day to day it will carry some attention. America has none whatsoever.

There will always be right and left and centre politics, social media has a lot to answer for in persuading or changing thought processes, anyone that changes their views based on what Karen says on FB needs a good kicking.

I'm fecking tired of these right wing, zealots, nazi, Zionist shit finger pointing shite posts that posters use on here. Polluting threads with that continuous shite is bollox.

Stick to the title
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

sid waddell

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on February 28, 2021, 12:36:09 AM
I brought it up before on the US political thread, and bar the US based ex-pats it's a shit show on a different level and bears no resemblance to here. Our politics is based on religion and it's territorial. America? Shit show and anyone over here I know looks at it with minimal interest other than the election.

If a country has a bearing on our day to day it will carry some attention. America has none whatsoever.

There will always be right and left and centre politics, social media has a lot to answer for in persuading or changing thought processes, anyone that changes their views based on what Karen says on FB needs a good kicking.

I'm fecking tired of these right wing, zealots, nazi, Zionist shit finger pointing shite posts that posters use on here. Polluting threads with that continuous shite is bollox.

Stick to the title
You can be as you like of people bringing up right-wing fascist politics on this forum

I'm far more sick of seeing it in action, as are all normal, reasonable people

thewobbler

Quote from: sid waddell on February 28, 2021, 12:35:59 AM
Quote from: thewobbler on February 28, 2021, 12:33:47 AM
Quote from: sid waddell on February 28, 2021, 12:17:34 AM
Quote from: thewobbler on February 28, 2021, 12:05:24 AM
Quote from: sid waddell on February 27, 2021, 11:32:56 PM
Quote from: thewobbler on February 27, 2021, 11:28:40 PM
Quote from: sid waddell on February 27, 2021, 11:20:42 PM
Quote from: thewobbler on February 27, 2021, 11:15:09 PM
There hasn't been an import of American identity politics. Not even a semblance of it.

It's a figment of your imagination.
Well a minute ago you said there had been

Now you're saying there hasn't

That's a direct contradiction in successive posts

Make up your mind

I suppose it's difficult to make up your mind when you believe in absolutely nothing and believe there is no truth

That's one of the things that has been imported from right-wing US identity politics and conspiracy theorising

You've been heavily influenced by US right-wing identity politics yourself without even realising it

Okay I will restart.

American identity politics do not exist in Ireland apart from as figments in the imagination of a very small, very intolerant group of people  who spend far too much time on social media trying to convince people that it is real.

Pretty much nobody in the history of Ireland has cast a vote anything further right than off centre.
You need to get out more if you believe this is the case

Right-wing US identity politics is a growing problem and it is being heavily pushed

Many young people do indeed spend too much time on social media and do not have the critical tools to have a chance of ascertaining what is real and what is not real - and this stuff matters in the real world - as we saw in America

Northern Ireland is a case study of how insane right-wing identity politics poisons a society, so I would have thought you'd have plenty of first hand experience

There you go again, trying your best to introduce your mental political spectrum where it doesn't exist.

Northern Ireland's current situation has f**k all to do with right wing polices. It's is quite simply the continuation of 100 years when two cultures who have no wish to co-exist in the same space, are physically co-existing in the same space. Not a f**king thing to do with political spectrums. Everything to do with (misplaced) nationalism.

If you're now going to tell me that this is a recent phenomenon, then all I'm going to say is do yourself a favour and step the f**k off Internet forums for a few days, and go and read up on six county history. Not one thing the DUP are doing today is new. These are the same tactics they've always employed. Trump, Quanon, Antifa, Brexit, none of these things matter up here.
You are denying that culturally, DUP-style nationalism is extreme right-wing?

I wonder how many other posters here would agree with that

Not many, I'd guess

The internal struggle within the six counties has nothing to do with the political spectrum and everything to do with culture / nationalism. One of the protagonists is historically conservative. But they're not not right wing. They're lost in time. They believe in basically the same principles  (apart from ultimate sovereign) that De Valera enforced in a liberated Ireland. Hence, what they believe in is not the newfangled right wing fascist disease that you want it to be. It's stoic conservatism.
"The DUP are not right-wing"

I've heard it all now

Obsessive contrarianism is a mental illness

If you're referring to right wing as a political spectrum you're correct. If you're using the term, as you are prone, to describe the DUP as being unwittingly at the behest of global fascist political movement, you're so f**king wrong it's ridiculous.

They're lost in time.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: sid waddell on February 28, 2021, 12:38:39 AM

Stick to the title
You can be as you like of people bringing up right-wing fascist politics on this forum

So is it right wing politics or just fascist politics?
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

sid waddell

Quote from: thewobbler on February 28, 2021, 12:39:49 AM
Quote from: sid waddell on February 28, 2021, 12:35:59 AM
Quote from: thewobbler on February 28, 2021, 12:33:47 AM
Quote from: sid waddell on February 28, 2021, 12:17:34 AM
Quote from: thewobbler on February 28, 2021, 12:05:24 AM
Quote from: sid waddell on February 27, 2021, 11:32:56 PM
Quote from: thewobbler on February 27, 2021, 11:28:40 PM
Quote from: sid waddell on February 27, 2021, 11:20:42 PM
Quote from: thewobbler on February 27, 2021, 11:15:09 PM
There hasn't been an import of American identity politics. Not even a semblance of it.

It's a figment of your imagination.
Well a minute ago you said there had been

Now you're saying there hasn't

That's a direct contradiction in successive posts

Make up your mind

I suppose it's difficult to make up your mind when you believe in absolutely nothing and believe there is no truth

That's one of the things that has been imported from right-wing US identity politics and conspiracy theorising

You've been heavily influenced by US right-wing identity politics yourself without even realising it

Okay I will restart.

American identity politics do not exist in Ireland apart from as figments in the imagination of a very small, very intolerant group of people  who spend far too much time on social media trying to convince people that it is real.

Pretty much nobody in the history of Ireland has cast a vote anything further right than off centre.
You need to get out more if you believe this is the case

Right-wing US identity politics is a growing problem and it is being heavily pushed

Many young people do indeed spend too much time on social media and do not have the critical tools to have a chance of ascertaining what is real and what is not real - and this stuff matters in the real world - as we saw in America

Northern Ireland is a case study of how insane right-wing identity politics poisons a society, so I would have thought you'd have plenty of first hand experience

There you go again, trying your best to introduce your mental political spectrum where it doesn't exist.

Northern Ireland's current situation has f**k all to do with right wing polices. It's is quite simply the continuation of 100 years when two cultures who have no wish to co-exist in the same space, are physically co-existing in the same space. Not a f**king thing to do with political spectrums. Everything to do with (misplaced) nationalism.

If you're now going to tell me that this is a recent phenomenon, then all I'm going to say is do yourself a favour and step the f**k off Internet forums for a few days, and go and read up on six county history. Not one thing the DUP are doing today is new. These are the same tactics they've always employed. Trump, Quanon, Antifa, Brexit, none of these things matter up here.
You are denying that culturally, DUP-style nationalism is extreme right-wing?

I wonder how many other posters here would agree with that

Not many, I'd guess

The internal struggle within the six counties has nothing to do with the political spectrum and everything to do with culture / nationalism. One of the protagonists is historically conservative. But they're not not right wing. They're lost in time. They believe in basically the same principles  (apart from ultimate sovereign) that De Valera enforced in a liberated Ireland. Hence, what they believe in is not the newfangled right wing fascist disease that you want it to be. It's stoic conservatism.
"The DUP are not right-wing"

I've heard it all now

Obsessive contrarianism is a mental illness

If you're referring to right wing as a political spectrum you're correct. If you're using the term, as you are prone, to describe the DUP as being unwittingly at the behest of global fascist political movement, you're so f**king wrong it's ridiculous.

They're lost in time.
That's exactly what the global fascist movement is - lost in time

The DUP subscribe to most of the international fascist movement's core tenets - minus the Holocaust denialism and love for Nazism

But they are very much an empire-loving, white supremacist, science denying, anti-intellectual, minority rights-opposing, theocratic, blood and soil nationalist party at their core

That's most of the international fascist agenda right there

Their kindred spirits are Trumpists, Euugene TerreBlanche and the hardline ultra-nationalist Israelis who want to obliterate Palestine

And the people on the streets of Dublin today

It was like an Incel version of Love Ulster

sid waddell

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on February 28, 2021, 12:43:53 AM

Stick to the title

It's getting increasingly hard to tell the difference

Maybe there never was much of a difference

sid waddell

Conor Gallagher of the Irish Times:

https://twitter.com/ConorGallaghe_r/status/1365742348555202571

Harris says "far-left and far-right" groups involved in today's violence. They're really imperfect terms but I've been reporting on these protests from the start and have yet to come across a group that could be called left-wing, never mind far-left.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: sid waddell on February 28, 2021, 12:50:12 AM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on February 28, 2021, 12:43:53 AM

Stick to the title

It's getting increasingly hard to tell the difference

Maybe there never was much of a difference

It's fair to say there are dicks on both sides, those that are far left and those that are far right, by the very nature of being one sided people are blinded by any discussion that may have a view different to theirs, so by using that they are no different to each other and fundamentally wrong.

Destructive and negative. Sid if you believe you are right all the time and never wrong on your view point then how do you function? Do you have any debating skills that can understand and accept other views? It seems like a lot of hard work

Angelo

Right wing, fascist Sid sick of right wing fascist politics.

Deary me.

The level of delusion in that head of his and the complete lack of self awareness is scary.

Sid should just move to America and live out his divisive dream in reality rather than the tinfoil hat wearing nonsense he tries to turn everything into on this thread.
GAA FUNDING CHEATS CHEAT US ALL

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Angelo on February 28, 2021, 09:06:40 AM

Deary me.

The level of delusion in that head of his and the complete lack of self awareness is scary.

Sid should just move to America and live out his divisive dream in reality rather than the tinfoil hat wearing nonsense he tries to turn everything into on this thread.

That post includes you Angelo, your never wrong and always right.

You're both like those friends who you kept at arms length, every discussion turned into a, "wish I hadn't have bothered  bringing that up", topic!

Elements of what you and Sid post may be correct, it's the diabolical way you go about saying it, and the worst is when you dig a hole for yourself, you keep digging!

Rossfan

Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Angelo

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on February 28, 2021, 09:36:12 AM
Quote from: Angelo on February 28, 2021, 09:06:40 AM

Deary me.

That post includes you Angelo, your never wrong and always right.

You're both like those friends who you kept at arms length, every discussion turned into a, "wish I hadn't have bothered  bringing that up", topic!

Elements of what you and Sid post may be correct, it's the diabolical way you go about saying it, and the worst is when you dig a hole for yourself, you keep digging!

I made no reference to your post. You are the most arrogant poster on here by a country mile, abusive and smug in equal measure without a shred of intelligence in any of the nonsense you spout.

Self awareness is way down on your own part.

Some of the posts you get away with on here are horrific considering what other posters have been banned for.

Tubberman

Are you like this in "real life" Angelo? Do you either agree 100% or disagree 100% with people on every topic?
Do you insult everyone you disagree with.
Your hysterical posts mean people just stop engaging with you apart from the others who like to argue ad infinitum
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

Angelo

Quote from: Tubberman on February 28, 2021, 10:23:00 AM
Are you like this in "real life" Angelo? Do you either agree 100% or disagree 100% with people on every topic?
Do you insult everyone you disagree with.
Your hysterical posts mean people just stop engaging with you apart from the others who like to argue ad infinitum

Another zealot.

I have my views, I will argue them if I think strongly about them. I'm not in every thread around here, there's a select few I have views on, I will articulate them and debate them.

It takes two to argue, I'm happy to do that. The issue seems to be you get really pissed off that I am able to stand my ground and debate it well despite mob mentality. You look at the insults I get on here on a frequent basis. I'm never first to dole them out but I will feel compelled to defend myself against them.

We have rules on this forum that seem to only be administered to a select few posters.

Trailer, lenny, Milltown are among a number of posters who have come out with comments that would have seen me banned off this forum.

Milltown seems to have carte blanche to break every rule on this forum, calling me Harold Shipman and accussing me of wanting to suffocate the elderly with a pillow. Routinely calling me a dickhead, an asshole, a cockhead, muppet, p***k etc but he's allowed do it. He is the type of poster who is not intelligent enough to be able to debate points so routinely debases topics on here in verbal insults and hysterical accusations but the moderators here seem to give him free reign to do so.

It's worrying the kind of mob mentality on here, guys like you loathe to have independent thinkers like me who can argue their points and won't back down to this kind of bully boy mob mentality.

Angelo

If you want to see hysterical posting Tubberman, have a look at some of your own contributions.

Quote from: Tubberman on January 04, 2021, 02:41:52 PM
Quote from: Angelo on January 04, 2021, 02:28:16 PM
Quote from: Tubberman on January 04, 2021, 02:20:02 PM
Quote from: Angelo on January 04, 2021, 02:14:35 PM
Quote from: thebigfella on January 04, 2021, 01:54:58 PM
Quote from: Angelo on January 04, 2021, 12:59:07 PM
We are not going to know the full impact of this until it's all over.

That may be a year or two down the line.

My concern focuses on whether lockdown and particularly rolling lockdowns where you are dipping in and out of (telling businesses to shut and open and shut and open are going to cause serious long term damage to the economy and employment - high unemployment has seriously negative societal and wellbeing factors).

There's a lot of people very entrenched with their head in the sand. Cases are through the roof at the minute, deaths are rising but we do know the main demograph it's impacting, we do know the median age of death is above the median life expectancy, we do know the 90%+ proportion that already have existing underlying healthcare problems, we do know that deaths due to Covid are overstated. There's no doubt on any of the previous factors, they are widely accepted by every department that handles this. So is it a case that the measures we take are to save people months of their lives - already probably crippled with underlying health issues?

And how do we then balance that out with the serious consequences of lockdown on the economy, people's employment prospects, the ability of people to provide for our families, the mental health of people, those who are vulnerable, in abusive relationships, addiction problems, people with disabilities and need constant care and support services, the education and social development of children, the impact it has on people who are alone and isolated.

I'd be extremely worried about the covid tunnel vision governments around the world are obsessed with.

We seem to have thrown all our eggs into this vaccine basket, we know nothing about it yet.

As opposed to what other basket?

Living with the virus. Reasonable restrictive measures which we had in the summer months until such time as the virus has ran its course.

What I'd like to see in the next few months is among all the panic and hysteria at present - what the excess deaths are like in comparison to a sever winter flu season that we have accepted without a bone of contention every single year.

Have we lost the run of ourselves over a 10% rise in deaths, 90% who already had serious underlying health conditions?

We have to be realistic and practical about this. There is a point when the cure causes more destruction and chaos than the problem and there's a lot of people too entrenched to even countenance this.

Until it's run it's course!? You mean heard immunity then? Do you know how long that would take with restrictions in place?
I'll give you a clue - many, many years.

So you're saying rolling lockdowns for many, many, many, many, many, many, many years if the vaccine is a failure?

Or let it kill the old and vulnerable and it will be much quicker.
But I'd prefer not to live in a society that sees that as preferable to protecting those groups until they're vaccinated.