The Many Faces of US Politics...

Started by Tyrones own, March 20, 2009, 09:29:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Captain Obvious

Quote from: J70 on June 09, 2020, 02:40:02 PM
WTF??? :o :o ;D ;D

Although I don't know if we should even laugh...

This fuckwit IS president after all.

Not sure what is worse the tweet or the amount of idiots that liked the tweet.

trueblue1234

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on June 09, 2020, 05:07:47 PM
Quote from: trueblue1234 on June 09, 2020, 11:03:44 AM
Quote from: sid waddell on June 09, 2020, 11:00:59 AM
Quote from: trueblue1234 on June 09, 2020, 10:46:45 AM
It's weird. Sid's views in general would be somewhat in line with my own in a lot of aspects. But I just can't help but think what a c**k he is on this thread.

It's that I'm too unapologetic in my views, isn't it? I'm too "uppity"? I don't show enough "deference" for those with bigoted views?

Being unapologetic tends to make people who come from a background of privilege uncomfortable, alright.

And those who such views make uncomfortable should examine exacty why such views make them uncomfortable.

There are a hell of a lot of views posted on this thread that should make people very, very uncomfortable indeed, but mine aren't among them.

Naw it's just that you act like a c**k.

Take your beating!

lol
Grammar: the difference between knowing your shit

Eamonnca1

Quote from: sid waddell on June 09, 2020, 11:48:54 AM
Quote from: trueblue1234 on June 09, 2020, 11:15:10 AM
Quote from: sid waddell on June 09, 2020, 11:07:14 AM
It's weird. Sid's views in general would be somewhat in line with my own in a lot of aspects. But I just can't help but think what a c**k he is on this thread.

It's that I'm too unapologetic in my views, isn't it? I'm too "uppity"? I don't show enough "deference" for those with bigoted views?

Being unapologetic tends to make people who come from a background of privilege uncomfortable, alright.

And those who such views make uncomfortable should examine exacty why such views make them uncomfortable.

There are a hell of a lot of views posted on this thread that should make people very, very uncomfortable indeed, but mine aren't among them.

As I suspected, you didn't have much of a comeback.

You should probably read that line again to yourself and see who's acting what.

Don't worry. Mine was just an opinion. I just find the way you debate to be painful to read. You antagonize in my eyes rather than debate. J70 and Eamon would also share many of your views but they manage to say it without the hyperbole that you are prone to. But that's because they have a different approach. It's obvious you post to get into a row rather than a debate. As in, the actual row is more important than what your debating. With the others, rows happen, but they weren't the objective.
Being "antagonised" is very much in the eye of the beholder.

And what I mean by that is, it is a function of a certain personality type who, rather than being open to challenge in terms of the views they hold, decides to take offence when the stupidity of their views is pointed out and they cannot defend them.

That isn't my problem. It's the problem of the people who hold those stupid views.

See, it's quite interesting, because, for a while around 16/17 years ago I flirted with some views that I now recognise were idiotic and indeed bigoted. I moaned about "crazy feminists". I used to have idiotic views about workers' rights. I also had low-level internalised homophobia, in that I didn't have a problem with gayness per se, but I didn't like the gays "flaunting their gayness" or some such utter nonsense. I had quite the liking for professional contrarian "tell it like it is" types, who I now recognise as utter charlatans. I'd voice these sort of views quite stridently in say, sociology tutorials in college, where I'd be promptly told where to go by people who had a much better idea of what they were talking about than I did.

Within a short time, I recognised that these views that I was holding were utter bunkum. I didn't change my views because of "persuasion". I changed them because I made a fool of myself when I couldn't defend them, and other people made a fool of me by destroying what I had to say - they exposed that my views weren't based on reason or logic, they were based on internalised, learned prejudice.

I could have chosen to feel "antagonised" - in fact I did for a short time - but I then accepted those people who made a fool of me were dead right, and so I learned how to think, and changed my views.

Great post, and I can relate. When I was a teenager I had internalized some mildly homophobic views based on what people around me were saying in my small town. But when I went off to uni in England I was exposed to more diverse viewpoints and I soon wised up. There's no merit in clinging to an outdated worldview in the face of overwhelming evidence that you were full of sh1t all along. If people feel like idiots when they realize the game is up, the way to stop feeling like an idiot is to dump the prejudice and bigotry.

People don't like being told they're wrong? People feel uncomfortable when they're corrected? That's the whole idea! They should feel uncomfortable! They should feel foolish. They should be ashamed of themselves. Anyone clinging to Nazi views should feel like a fool, and if they don't like that sensation then they should just stop being a Nazi.

trueblue1234

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on June 09, 2020, 05:17:12 PM
Quote from: sid waddell on June 09, 2020, 11:48:54 AM
Quote from: trueblue1234 on June 09, 2020, 11:15:10 AM
Quote from: sid waddell on June 09, 2020, 11:07:14 AM

As I suspected, you didn't have much of a comeback.

You should probably read that line again to yourself and see who's acting what.

Don't worry. Mine was just an opinion. I just find the way you debate to be painful to read. You antagonize in my eyes rather than debate. J70 and Eamon would also share many of your views but they manage to say it without the hyperbole that you are prone to. But that's because they have a different approach. It's obvious you post to get into a row rather than a debate. As in, the actual row is more important than what your debating. With the others, rows happen, but they weren't the objective.
Being "antagonised" is very much in the eye of the beholder.

And what I mean by that is, it is a function of a certain personality type who, rather than being open to challenge in terms of the views they hold, decides to take offence when the stupidity of their views is pointed out and they cannot defend them.

That isn't my problem. It's the problem of the people who hold those stupid views.

See, it's quite interesting, because, for a while around 16/17 years ago I flirted with some views that I now recognise were idiotic and indeed bigoted. I moaned about "crazy feminists". I used to have idiotic views about workers' rights. I also had low-level internalised homophobia, in that I didn't have a problem with gayness per se, but I didn't like the gays "flaunting their gayness" or some such utter nonsense. I had quite the liking for professional contrarian "tell it like it is" types, who I now recognise as utter charlatans. I'd voice these sort of views quite stridently in say, sociology tutorials in college, where I'd be promptly told where to go by people who had a much better idea of what they were talking about than I did.

Within a short time, I recognised that these views that I was holding were utter bunkum. I didn't change my views because of "persuasion". I changed them because I made a fool of myself when I couldn't defend them, and other people made a fool of me by destroying what I had to say - they exposed that my views weren't based on reason or logic, they were based on internalised, learned prejudice.

I could have chosen to feel "antagonised" - in fact I did for a short time - but I then accepted those people who made a fool of me were dead right, and so I learned how to think, and changed my views.

Great post, and I can relate. When I was a teenager I had internalized some mildly homophobic views based on what people around me were saying in my small town. But when I went off to uni in England I was exposed to more diverse viewpoints and I soon wised up. There's no merit in clinging to an outdated worldview in the face of overwhelming evidence that you were full of sh1t all along. If people feel like idiots when they realize the game is up, the way to stop feeling like an idiot is to dump the prejudice and bigotry.

People don't like being told they're wrong? People feel uncomfortable when they're corrected? That's the whole idea! They should feel uncomfortable! They should feel foolish. They should be ashamed of themselves. Anyone clinging to Nazi views should feel like a fool, and if they don't like that sensation then they should just stop being a Nazi.

Yeah actually maybe it's just J70 that isn't a c**k then.

Eamonnca1

Let's face it. When your only reply is "you're a c**k" then you've pretty much admitted defeat.

trueblue1234

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on June 09, 2020, 05:43:47 PM
Let's face it. When your only reply is "you're a c**k" then you've pretty much admitted defeat.

That's the issue right there. Your out to try and get a feeling of victory. What exactly was I defeated in?

Eamonnca1

Gmac

So the la council woman who introduced a motion to cut lapd budget by 150m has had cop detail outside her home since April and when contacted about it canceled it , also a professor at UCLA is under police protection after he dared to make minority students do a final exam in the wake of recent events. Sad

J70

Quote from: Gmac on June 09, 2020, 06:43:38 PM
So the la council woman who introduced a motion to cut lapd budget by 150m has had cop detail outside her home since April and when contacted about it canceled it , also a professor at UCLA is under police protection after he dared to make minority students do a final exam in the wake of recent events. Sad

Details?

Gabriel_Hurl

You'll have to go to the Washington Free Beacon for that second story

J70

Read a little bit on him (assuming its the same guy, Klein). Looks like he wrote a catty email in response to the request and ruffled some feathers unnecessarily. But, yeah, threats to his life are way, way overboard, if true. Presumably it will be properly investigated.

As for the council woman, haven't read about that one, but if as Gmac suggests, then obviously bog-standard political hypocrisy. Presumably she's well embarrassed.

J70

A couple of morons in New Jersey have lost their jobs for staging a "counterprotest" in which they kneeled on someone's neck. Apparently FedEx fired their guy, while the NJ state Department of Corrections have suspended the one who was an officer there.

I can imagine their surprise when they found their employers didn't want to be associated with their conduct.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/06/09/nyregion/james-demarco-franklinville-george-floyd-protest.html

sid waddell

Anybody who doesn't believe me when I say the election will be fixed in favour of Trump should take a look at the carry on in Georgia last night.

The plan to deny democracy is literally hiding in plain sight, as it has been for decades, but never more so than now. This issue needs to be front and centre for the next five months to have any hope of stopping it in its tracks.

What's going on is straight out of Russia, as is everything Trump and the Republicans do.

sid waddell

Lock him up. And impeach the nakedly corrupt William Barr. Lock up all the corrupt criminals in this corrupt, criminal regime, actually.

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/06/10/gleeson-flynn-sullivan-barr-justice-department-311018

Ex-judge tapped to review Flynn case blasts DOJ for 'pretextual' effort to drop charges
The retired judge, John Gleeson, said the Justice Department had improperly bowed to the will of President Donald Trump.

By JOSH GERSTEIN and KYLE CHENEY

06/10/2020 12:36 PM EDT

A former judge selected to advise on a path forward in the criminal case against Michael Flynn is accusing the Justice Department of distorting the justice system to protect an ally of President Donald Trump by attempting to shut down the prosecution.

The former federal judge, John Gleeson, is recommending that the judge handling the case instead proceed to sentence the former Trump national security adviser on the false-statement charge he admitted to two-and-a-half years ago.

"The facts surrounding the filing of the Government's motion constitute clear evidence of gross prosecutorial abuse. They reveal an unconvincing effort to disguise as legitimate a decision to dismiss that is based solely on the fact that Flynn is a political ally of President Trump," Gleeson wrote in a filing Wednesday with Washington-based U.S. District Court Judge Emmet Sullivan, who formally tapped Gleeson to weigh in as a friend of the court.

Gmac

Quote from: sid waddell on June 10, 2020, 05:50:06 PM
Lock him up. And impeach the nakedly corrupt William Barr. Lock up all the corrupt criminals in this corrupt, criminal regime, actually.

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/06/10/gleeson-flynn-sullivan-barr-justice-department-311018

Ex-judge tapped to review Flynn case blasts DOJ for 'pretextual' effort to drop charges
The retired judge, John Gleeson, said the Justice Department had improperly bowed to the will of President Donald Trump.

By JOSH GERSTEIN and KYLE CHENEY

06/10/2020 12:36 PM EDT

A former judge selected to advise on a path forward in the criminal case against Michael Flynn is accusing the Justice Department of distorting the justice system to protect an ally of President Donald Trump by attempting to shut down the prosecution.

The former federal judge, John Gleeson, is recommending that the judge handling the case instead proceed to sentence the former Trump national security adviser on the false-statement charge he admitted to two-and-a-half years ago.

"The facts surrounding the filing of the Government's motion constitute clear evidence of gross prosecutorial abuse. They reveal an unconvincing effort to disguise as legitimate a decision to dismiss that is based solely on the fact that Flynn is a political ally of President Trump," Gleeson wrote in a filing Wednesday with Washington-based U.S. District Court Judge Emmet Sullivan, who formally tapped Gleeson to weigh in as a friend of the court.
so the left leaning  judge who appointed another left leaning judge to look over the matter doesn't agree with the right leaning Barr wow ,
Something I rarely comment on but I think it is relevant with Blm so much in the news these days 18 black people were murdered in Chicago on May 31st and over weekend 24 were killed and 85 injured by gunfire pretty staggering numbers .