Brexit.

Started by T Fearon, November 01, 2015, 06:04:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PMG1

Quote from: LCohen on September 01, 2019, 08:05:40 PM
Quote from: PMG1 on September 01, 2019, 07:15:26 PM
I don't know why we are getting so worried about the impact a SF vote in parliament would have. SF's primary aim is a united Ireland, leaving things as they are at the minute and watching the British get into a mess like they are is quite clearly the best way they can forward their aim at the minute. The Tories throwing DUP under the bus which is inevitable the way things are going currently is the ideal scenario for SF so they are quite happy to sit back as they are currently doing. I am not a SF lover by the way but a united Ireland is definitely something I would like to be part of in the near future

That is ok if SF are clear and upfront about. If SF are open that a UI trumps everything else and there is no financial cost to ordinary individuals north and south that they view as too high a price then they need to campaign on that basis

They have nothing to gain by being upfront about it, say nothing and people can't question you on it, by saying something they risk being questioned on it and this would show them up as they would more than likely (a) be caught out lying or (b) people will realise that they are willing to risk the welfare of the people for the pursuit of their main aim. For their sake keeping quiet is their best policy

LCohen

Ask the questions and smoke them out

trueblue1234

Quote from: LCohen on September 01, 2019, 10:30:50 PM
Quote from: trueblue1234 on September 01, 2019, 10:14:43 PM
Quote from: LCohen on September 01, 2019, 10:11:18 PM
Quote from: trueblue1234 on September 01, 2019, 09:40:55 PM
Quote from: LCohen on September 01, 2019, 09:33:33 PM
So here is what we now know from trueblue

1) If SF has to chose between Party Principle and constituent welfare constituents can f**k off
2) For SF a UI trumps everything else. No price is too high
3) there is an unexplained belief that SF voters will be shielded from the worst excesses of Brexit or no Deal. That probably needs a bit more explaining from some one
4) SF's whole shared space/shared future pretence is exactly that. If you don't vote SF you can f**k off

Illuminating day.

I really don't know where to begin with that.

We know
The posts are there for everyone. Verbal somersaults and all.

Yes the posts there. No verbal somersault on my part. Every step explained and repeated for those slow on the uptake. No issues avoided or evaded on my part. As anyone who reads the posts will no doubt see

If you say so. Happy to let the posts do the talking as well. It's all there so we'll leave it at that.
Grammar: the difference between knowing your shit

Rossfan

Does a MP have to take that oath before they can take their seat?
What does it say?
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

playwiththewind1st

Quote from: Rossfan on September 02, 2019, 09:54:28 AM
Does a MP have to take that oath before they can take their seat?
What does it say?

Basically "I love HM The Queen & would do anything for her".

johnnycool

Rossfan

"I  will bear true allegiance to her majesty..."
A bit different to shaking someone's hand.
I presume the Shinners couldn't just turn up 2 minutes before a vote and walk through them lobby things?
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

playwiththewind1st

Each of them would have to learn a couple more words of Irish...such as tá & níl, to be able to do that. Then the British tellers wouldn't understand them anyway, so the votes wouldn't count.  Gregory Campbell would be shouting "curry my yoghurt" in the lobbies at them too.

haranguerer

Quote from: trailer on September 02, 2019, 12:29:39 PM
No oath.

https://twitter.com/markdurkan/status/1067124640164864001?lang=en

Well that solves one mystery - you don't read what you post  ;D

see first response to that tweet, outlining what the affirmation is  ::)

t_mac

So if as expected a snap general election is called, what does Labour stand for, remain, leave with a deal, a second referendum, all of the above? Tories will deselect remainers so will stand solely on getting out deal or no deal.  It could be a masterstroke by BlowJob as the remainers like the shinners won't compromised whatsoever, expect a 50+ seat majority.

LCohen

Agree a snap election looks likely. Devil is in the details though. He can propose an election (which Labour can hardly refuse) without specifying the election date.

To have an election before crash out date it needs to be formally scheduled by 19/9.

If he hasn't called a pre crash out election by that date then Labour will have call a no confidence vote after prorogation but before 31/10.

To shore up the Tory vote he needs to see off the Brexit Party threat. Easy to see how that can be done but not so easy to see how the Tories could retain any Remain votes or very many soft Brexit votes. That said Cummings is a master of the dark arts and he will have war gamed this to death.

Labour's position has to offer something to remainers ( a second referendum with remain as an option being the minimum requirement) and the Leave Vote that doesn't want to run risk No Deal ( a period of negotiation without the hindrance of May's red lines prior to the referendum)

LCohen

So no election yet. Not really sure why the media were assembled for that

seafoid

Quote from: t_mac on September 02, 2019, 03:31:25 PM
So if as expected a snap general election is called, what does Labour stand for, remain, leave with a deal, a second referendum, all of the above? Tories will deselect remainers so will stand solely on getting out deal or no deal.  It could be a masterstroke by BlowJob as the remainers like the shinners won't compromised whatsoever, expect a 50+ seat majority.

Brexit means more austerity since the tax take will fall.

Labour will campaign for a new economic system and payrises
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

marty34

What was that press conference all about - nothing new there?