mayo hurling

Started by the bucket, November 13, 2006, 02:09:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

smelly fairy

we have moved on from  the abacus and bye the way it was not his competence as an optician i was calling into place 
Posted on: Today at 02:22:56 PMPosted by: the bucket 

Exactly Bucket, Exactly. That is exactly the point I'm trying to make........  :o

rosnarun

this is getting pathetic . what hes basicly saying is that there is a perfectly good reason that every knows about for sacking mr browne but I cant tell you what it is. and doesnt even give a reason for not telling. what a w**ker

QuoteClash Of The Ash

Edwin McGreal

MAYO GAA Board Secretary Seán Feeney has slammed a report in a Sunday newspaper which accused the County Board of sacking Mayo senior hurling manager Frank Browne last week for financial reasons.
Browne was told by the County Board that his services were no longer required at a meeting early last week but Feeney has angrily denied a report in the Irish Daily Star Sunday headlined: 'Sacked for buying hurleys'.
The report claimed that Browne had been sacked because of expenses that were being accrued from a 'penny pinching board'. However, Feeney says two reasons outside of money were behind the decision.
"That report was totally inaccurate," he told The Mayo News. "There are two crucial reasons why Frank Browne isn't being kept on and they can't be published. I can definitely state that the issue is not over the costs of hurleys and sliothars as stated in a newspaper."
However, the Mayo GAA Board Secretary did admit that while not being the decisive reason for Browne's departure, expenses accrued during the year were a continuous problem.
"We made agreements with Frank during the year concerning the number of training sessions and he exceeded that. At one stage the number of training sessions exceeded the amount the footballers were doing. There is a cost there in terms of expenses and they made no effort whatsoever to curb it. Three lads might come from the one area and they would bring three cars.
"It'll be there for people to judge themselves when they see the figures at the County Convention and they can make their own minds up on it. Over the course of the year hurling cost the County Board €138,000, most of which was from the senior side.
"People might be saying we are mean and penny pinching but the costs are there and there is the issues with the other two reasons. Frank Browne knows what they are and the hurling fraternity knows what they are," Feeney added.
Mayo hurling captain Derek Walsh was critical of the move. "We are all shocked by the decision because Frank had already got a lot of plans ready to start training for next year," he said on Sunday. "2007 will be the most important year for Mayo hurling for a long time because with the way the league is being restructured for 2008, what grade you play at is determined by how well you do in the league this year," Walsh told Star Sunday.
Feeney, together with County Board Chairman James Waldron and Treasurer JP Lambe, spoke with Frank Browne along with County Hurling Board Chairman Luke Fitzmaurice and Hurling Board Secretary Johnny Hopkins ten days ago.
Fitzmaurice was unwilling to reveal too much of what was said but gave his support to the County Board decision. "I made my own thoughts known at the meeting. I can't say anymore than that. I'm aware of the two reasons given. I have to stand by the collective decision of the Board," Fitzmaurice stated.
Both Feeney and Fitzmaurice added that a new appointment was imminent. "I'd be confident that the appointment would be made this week," said Fitzmaurice. "A person is lined up. I don't think Frank will be coming back. The new man in usually brings his own men with him." The prospective candidate is believed to be from within the county.
Seán Feeney was also keen to stress that the Mayo GAA Board are as committed as ever to the game of hurling. "Hurling will not stagnate in Mayo. A lot of money has been spent on coaching, Gerry Spellman was here doing great work, Frank was just here one year... There are plenty of people doing work in the county, people like Adrian Hession, and the lads will get on with it."
Frank Browne could not be contacted for comment by The Mayo News on Monday.
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

dodo

I've heard it all now. The hurlers are punished for too much training. As much as saying, lads we'll pay a few expenses but don't get too serious about that hurling craic.

"That report was totally inaccurate," he told The Mayo News. "There are two crucial reasons why Frank Browne isn't being kept on and they can't be published. I can definitely state that the issue is not over the costs of hurleys and sliothars as stated in a newspaper."

.......I have to stand by the collective decision of the Board," Fitzmaurice stated.

.......Frank Browne could not be contacted for comment by The Mayo News on Monday.

Feeney and co are at these clandestine operations again. Firstly not revealing what transpired between themselves and Micky Moran, and now not revealing why Frank Browne got shown the gate. Micky Moran went away with an agreed statement and said no more, Browne has said nothing thus far. Luke Fitzmaurice ( my reading between the lines ) seems to be saying that he has to accept the mafia decision.

Another quote from Feeney in the above article was
QuoteAt one stage the number of training sessions exceeded the amount the footballers were doing.

What's the problem with this ?  ::)

rosnarun

when you agree to the mafia decisions you become part of the problem. which is more important the future of mayo hurling or the future of mayos hurling chairman . We know what Luke thinks
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

the bucket

something you would hear from a teenager "I know but I'm not telling you"

This istotal rubbish what a clown and they think sam maguire will come back next year and the likes of him in charge

MacDanger

Sounds like more bollixing around from the county board.

They're probably not strong enough but if possible, the hurling clubs should set up a separate hurling county board as they're not getting a fair crack of the whip at the moment.

the bucket

I have it from a reliable source  that the two reasons that they cant publish are as follows
(1) That they played an under 16 player in the u21 final but were only informed of this 20 minutes before the throw by the county board officials who indicated they were not sure whether he could play or not.
(2) and wait for it this one is definitely a sackable offence on an away trip the manager and selectors did not travel back on the bus.

GY Joe

Even though I'm from Galway and am almost immune to stupid County Board decisions at this stage, but I am astonished at the blatant antagonism shown towards hurling by your county board.  >:( It makes me angry...

Is there enough gumption and financial backing from the senior clubs and others who love hurling to tell the MCB to go fu-ck themselves and start a hurling board.

highking

GY Joe - There is, but the County Board wont allow that to happen as it looks bad on them and anyway, they are making a nice bit out of the hurling with all thats coming in from Croke Park/Guinness/Allianz/Christy Ring/SportsCouncil. Thes figures are never disclosed but all involved in hurling know what it amounts to.

stephenite

Quote from: the bucket on December 06, 2006, 09:48:51 AM
I have it from a reliable source  that the two reasons that they cant publish are as follows
(1) That they played an under 16 player in the u21 final but were only informed of this 20 minutes before the throw by the county board officials who indicated they were not sure whether he could play or not.
(2) and wait for it this one is definitely a sackable offence on an away trip the manager and selectors did not travel back on the bus.

Sweet mother of God, wouldn't it be great if it was a hurling issue that came up the arse of Feeney and bumped the hateful little f**ker out on his hole. I mean why would you bother playing hurling for Mayo ??
I cannot tell why they sacked him? Is this p***k for real

belleaqua

Just a Galway perspective here lads...

first of all its a disgrace that the Galway Hurling Board doesnt do more for the game in the province, but when they cant sort themselves out tis hardly surprising they cant help any one else.

From what iv read the excuses given by the Mayo Co. Board and the success of last years team (playing a final without their best hurler) it is actually beyond belief that this man got sacked (there is no other term for it).

Is there no internal move for a seperate Co. Board to promote and look after hurling?

highking

Now that Brennan has been officially appointed, does anyone know what quality of selectors/coaches he has with him?

fingertips

Stephenite      MIND YOUR LANGUAGE !!     

stephenite

Fingertips - NO I WON'T!! The swearing gives amplification to my frustrations and enhance the point I am trying to get across, I feel.

muppet

QuoteStephenite      MIND YOUR LANGUAGE !!   

Ah yes, because that is the issue at hand .
MWWSI 2017