Mayo v Limerick

Started by Farrandeelin, February 19, 2007, 04:07:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cllr Willie Power

Did anyone hear the discussion about this on Newstalk last night? I didn't hear it myself but was told from someone who did that there is a possibility the game could be called off. Anyone else hear anything?

Mayo4Sam

Any reasons why it would be called off?
Excuse me for talking while you're trying to interrupt me

Farrandeelin

Has anyone any clue as to when the Mayo team will be named if it's not called off. It will be interesting to see if O'Mahony picks many of the ones who started against Clare on Saturday evening. I have been saying this for a while now but Kilcoyne should start... Maybe it's bias but he has to be tried at some stage! As well as that, I think Devenney should be tried/brought on at some stage. If he's good enough, he's capable of making a place in the halfbacks his own. It's nice to hear that we have a clean bill on the injury front anyway.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

StoneWall

Kenneth O'Malley Ballinrobe

Liam O'Malley Burrishoole
James Kilcullen Ballaghaderreen
Keith Higgins Ballyhaunis

Enda Devenney Ballina
Billy Joe Padden B al an Mhuirthead
Peadar Gardiner Crossmolina

Ronan McGarrity Ballina
David Brady Ballina

Kevin O'Neill Na Fianna
Ger Brady Ballina
Alan Dillon Ballintubber

Aidan Campbell Swinford
Trevor Mortimer Shrule-Glencorrib
Andy Moran Ballaghaderreen

Mayo4Sam

Looks like a strong team. Nice to see Devenney getting his chance.
Good to see chuckie out in the half forwards as well
Excuse me for talking while you're trying to interrupt me

Redgreenery

Good team nice to see the two new faces there and McGarrity back.
Should do the business :).

Farrandeelin

Good team out there. At least O'Mahony isn't shy of making big calls and dropping C Mortimer. It will be interesting to see O'Malley in goal instead of Clarke. This time last year we were all giving out about Healy in goals. And we are going to see McGarritty/Brady in midfield at last. Being of the same club they can only help each others performance especially McGarritty because it's his first start this season. Hopefully E Devenney will take his chance and boost up more competition in the backlines. Regarding the forwards, I'm surprised O'Malley isn't playing but he more than likely will be brought on at some stage. It will be interesting to see how Aidan Campbell plays in his frist start in the NFL. Hopefully like Devenney he will boost the competition for places in the forward lines and get players playing at their full potential come May 20th.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

rosnarun

you'd have to wonder about O mahoney's thinking  saying on one hand he was concerned about Div one status  on the other putting out a team like that, is he underestimating  limerick ?
no heaney clarke conor mortimer, kilcoyne or  harte o'neill on the 45 yard line, swapping andy moran from half back to half forward wonfer he didnt try BJP in Goal .is tis the actual team or is it something picked up from our brethern on the hogan stand .
It  looks more like an FBD team and it does no favours to the guys that start as a loss to limerick and the great unwashed will start yelping.
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

stephenite

1-10 to 0-7 , good result. Mortimer goal. Anyone at it?

Redgreenery

Was at game good result. At the start I think all Mayo fans had a smile on their faces as Mayo were 1-3 up after 13 minutes with T Mortimer scoring the goal!! Then David Brady picked up a bad injury and was taken off. This effected the Mayo team badly. The smile was wiped off the faces because of the difference in the team. Mayo were suddenly not scoring and Limrick registered with a point from a free. It took Mayo 18 mins to get another score and immeadiatly got another 2 points with it while Limrick scored another free leaving it Mayo 1-6 Limerick 0-02 and then Kevin O Neill went off with another injury which effected the team again. It remained Mayo 1-6 Limerick 0-02 at the break. Limerick dominated when they came out again. A total of 20 mins past for Mayo to put another point on the board and scored another one again after while Limrick were catching up but it wasn't enough at the end when after another 20 mins Mayo put another 2 points one after the other to end the game. The game ended Mayo 1-10 Limerick 0-07.
Overall it was worrying the long periods Mayo went without scoring but scored some good points.
Aidan Campbell was very impressive scoring some good points and Enda Deveeney made some good runs.
The ref made some stupid decisions (whats new with that?).
Once David Brady was taken off Limerick won nearly every ball in center field.

stephenite

Cheers for the Redgreenery, 2 points in what we wanted, hopefully DB and O'Neill are not too badly injured

OirthearMhaigheo

Was at the game yesterday and it lacked the passion, quality and intensity of our last home game against Kerry. We started off well enough but the couple of injuries did see us lose our way a little. Another reason I thought we lost our way was because Limerick were so bad. They seemed to leave whatever form they had behind them in Munster because they were shocking. It seemed as though the Mayo lads lost motivation for a while because even when a defender was beaten they could be pretty confident the Limerick man would just blaze it wide anyway, so poor was their shooting on the day. All in all 2 valuable points were picked up in one of the drabbest games I have seen in a while, thanks in no small part once again to a pedantic ref. Positives: Devenney grew and grew into the game the more it went on, some of his last ditch tackling was deadly and he made a few of his standard marauding runs. Liam Seosamh is improving with every game as the season goes on. Liam O'Malley and Keith Higgins were solid again (against the already mentioned Limerick forwards it must be said). After that I thought Andy M did well, Campbell had some good moments as did O'Neill while he was on, some of his passing was McDonaldesque. Unfortunately Trevor was his usual self, one brillant thing followed by something a Junior player would be embarassed of, seo e Trevor I'm afraid. Lots of work still needs to be done though especially on the area of breaking ball, but all in all another step was taken towards first guaranteeing 1st div football next year and hopefull the play-offs this year.

AbbeySider

I was at the game and I thought our backs did very well. They didnt give an inch and Limerick attacks were turned over time and time again. L O Malley, BJP and Devanny stood out and Gardiner and K Higgins were very solid. Kilkullen started well but his man was bringing him very deep so he was being pulled out of position. Then himself and O Malley switched before he was eventually taken off. Its worrying but I dont think he had that bad of a game over all. He is better suited to a big full forward where he can win in the air than marking a fast nackey full forward. It remains to be seen if he is the answer at FB but I dont think he did badly at all.

Brady coming off injured was worrying too. He was in obvious discomfort when he went down and he limped off with what seemed like an ankle injury. He couldnt put his foot on the ground and hopped off. Hope he will be back soon.

Harte came on for Brady and he did Ok. McGarity was ok too around the middle but he gave away a lot of frees and has a problem with discipline. I think he was booked by the ref for mouthing. I think Limerick dominated midfield all the same because they won most kickouts. I was surprised thet K O Malley didnt hit the wings with his kickouts because we were loosing the kickouts down the middle.

After that O Neill went off injured too and our attack seemed to loose shape altogether. The ball stopped going in first time and the old fist passing started again. The forwards were Ok with no one really standing out. I thought Aidan Campbell started well but made a few dear mistakes after that.  Trev Mort worked hard but fumbled possession a lot. Ger Brady was Ok and Alan Dillion and Andy Moran were quiet enough in the second half. Kilcoyne didnt do much when he came on for O Neill but the conditions underfoot was the cause of a lot of the fumbles and mistakes so maybe we shouldnt read too much into it.

Nallen came on for Harte in the middle and steadied the ship a little. All in all Mayo controlled the game but should have won by much more. Our attack and game plan (long balls/cross field balls into the full forward line) fell apart in the second half. Limerick dominated in midfield and the fist passing stuff crept back in again. It was a little bit worrying but putting it in context ( end of feb with bad conditions ) we can take a few positives from it.

I hope Brady and O Neill are Ok because they were really the difference on the day. 

venter

Well now, that was a bad game of football yesterday. I was more encouraged after the performance in Donegal, where I thought Donegal had the edge on us in intensity and were more up for the game.

Yesterday, Mayo seemed to have no interest for about half an hour period before and after half time.

Kenneth O Malley - Played well. He aimed nearly all of his kickouts at McGarrity. Clarke was poor against Donegal, but I'd have him in there for his monster kickout alone. Its handy for lifting the siege when under pressure.

Liam O Malley - Excellent defender and had a good battle with the number 15 in the first half. Looks a certain starter in may.

James Kilcullen - Had to be switched with Liam O Malley for the second league game in a row, and O Malley immediately improved the situation. Kilcullen himself played better after being switched on both occasions but i dont think he's the answer.

Keith Higgins - He's great to watch. an absolute flyer. Its a bit worrying the way he goes for every ball flat out and doesnt play the percentages. He could be easily caught out by hopping balls on the hard ground during the summer.

Enda Devenney - Had a good solid game and im sure he'll improve for a run in the team. Took his point nicely at the end. If he nails down his spot, he could be a massive addition.

Billy Joe Padden - I thought he was good against Donegal, but yesterday I felt he was cleaned out of it. Practically every Limerick attack went through the Limerick centre half forward, who seemed to have all the time he wanted to direct the play for them. Might be time to give Heaney a shot at CHB.

Peadar Gardiner - Good solid game like Devenney. He kept his men scoreless again yesterday and is playing well. Good score in first half.

David Brady - Started well but he is fierce unlucky with injuries. He'll have to get back as soon as he can to be fit to start in Championship games

Ronan McGarrity-  Kenneth O Malley hit him with several kickouts, but he repeatedly dropped the ball. He'll have to start punching it. Played well when he was on the ball and worked hard

Ger Brady – Didn't get that involved and was not picking up any breaking ball. Wing forward doesn't suit him.

Kevin O Neill – Some decent passing during the first half. Hopefully he'll get back fairly soon.

Trevor Mortimer – Works very hard. He can do some great things but he has a tendancy to follow it up with some kamikaze stuff as well. He'll be there for Championship

Aiden Campbell – Not a bad debut. He scored a nice point in the first half but was idle for long periods due to no ball coming into the full forward line. He looks strong and could make an impact.

Alan Dillon - He was completely anonymous against Donegal and yesterday was a slight improvement. He would want to get the finger out considering the amount of forwards waiting in line just to get 20 minutes of football. That might be a bit harsh on him, but he has set himself high standards

Andy Moran – I think this man has the potential to be one of our main man. He's strong, fit, skillfull and hungry for work. In the last couple of games he's starting to show that he can kick long range points too.

Pat Harte – didn't make much of an impact. Limerick dominated us in the middle when Brady went off.
Aiden Kilcoyne – I cant remember him doing anything while he was on. He could be useful on top of the ground in the summer!
James Nallen – Steady around the middle which was what we needed
Aiden Higgins – Harshly booked within seconds of coming on. A solid man to have there.
Mark Ronaldson – No no no. we cant afford another flyweight in the forwards.

Cllr Willie Power

Hard to assess progress on yesterday's game. Brutal game altogether. I don't know what game Redgreenery was watching though as Mayo were well on top and the game was over at half time. Having said that, they went through a long period in the second half where they failed to reflect this dominance on the score board. I was expecting a lot better from Limerick who were very poor but they seemed to be missing a good few players. One thing I should mention is that again the referee gave some shocking decisions - against both sides.

For what it's worth:

Kenneth O'Malley – solid, very vocal, good long kick outs but needs to pick out his man a bit better at times as he put one or two to a colleague who was outnumbered. Overall a good debut though.

Liam O'Malley – faired well, no difficulty slotting in at full back. Was the subject of a bizarre decision by the ref (one of many!) when he won the ball cleanly only to be penalised for his effort.

Kilcullen – poor game, found it tough going at full back and resorted to niggly tactics which conceded a few frees before being called ashore. The jury is still out on who will be here in the summer.

Keith Higgins – won nearly everything that came his way, concentrating on defending as his bursts upfield seem to be curtailed this year.

Devenney – quiet enough game.

Padden – way off the pace. The guy is not a centre back. Don't know who will be here in the summer but it shouldn't be him.

Gardiner – nipped about all over the place and popped up for a point, should have added another.

David Brady – only on the pitch briefly.

McGarritty – quiet game, never got going. Limerick were on top in midfield against himself and Harte.

Ger Brady – quiet throughout.

O'Neill – some of his vision and passing was excellent, he pulled the strings to good effect.

T Mortimer – got stuck in, worked hard and ran all day but undone some good work but poor control at times.

Campbell – showed some promise but also showed his inexperience though when he fluffed a great opportunity to put Mortimer in for a goal. Kicked a good point.

Dillon – kicked the frees but quiet from general play, should be left in the half forward line where he is more involved.

Moran – another man best suited to the half forward line. Played well though and will hopefully be a big player in the summer. Some bad shooting though, especially the one he kicked straight at the keeper when a point was a better option.

Harte – way off the pace in the games so far, needs to increase his fitness levels.

Kilcoyne – very quiet.

Ronaldson – looked lively but do we really need another giant like him in our full forward line? Is there some sort of height restriction policy in place in Shrule or what?  ???

Nallen – acted effectively as a link man and steadied the ship.

Anyway, it's an away game to Fermanagh up next. Let's see what Sunday week brings...