China Coronavirus

Started by lurganblue, January 23, 2020, 09:52:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Last Man

For me personally, I am happy to go back to work because as the days go on I am starting to fear more for our economic future than the health risks we face currently. Boris can't continue to pay my mortgage indefinitley. Just my fatalistic opinion, but each to their own.

GetOverTheBar

Quote from: RadioGAAGAA on May 13, 2020, 01:17:43 PM
Quote from: clarshack on May 13, 2020, 01:01:39 PM
Good post. Yeah there was some amount of doomsday scenarios re Cheltenham.

Given a few have come back from Cheltenham and got the virus - almost surely meaning they got it there - we don't know if that has led directly or indirectly to deaths or not. Probably has.

In fairness, I would imagine the GAA pulling the plug on everything / St Paddys day cancelled was a bigger beneficial factor to Ireland than those coming back from Cheltenham but I reckon in years to come the English will come to regret letting it go ahead. Someone will get hung out to dry there.

Rois

I would LOVE to go back to the office.  With the exception of the lift, I am fairly sure I could keep myself safe enough. 

Re: Cheltenham, a colleague in our Birmingham office told me of the annual pilgrimage undertaken by the lads in the office - they went ahead this year.  70 of them went, and 40 of them ended up with symptoms severe enough to be tested (and tested positive). 

thewobbler

Quote from: GetOverTheBar on May 13, 2020, 02:20:28 PM

Given a few have come back from Cheltenham and got the virus - almost surely meaning they got it there - we don't know if that has led directly or indirectly to deaths or not. Probably has.

In fairness, I would imagine the GAA pulling the plug on everything / St Paddys day cancelled was a bigger beneficial factor to Ireland than those coming back from Cheltenham but I reckon in years to come the English will come to regret letting it go ahead. Someone will get hung out to dry there.

The tube was ferrying the guts of 5 million passengers around London on each day of the festival. Including several thousand people embarking at Heathrow, Gatwick, Stansted and City, before taking a flight to Ireland.

I'm not supporting or ignoring Cheltenham here. It shouldn't have happened. But people really need to gain some perspective about it.

Smurfy123

Some very valid points I will say that
Tommy Surgeon said it in her parliament about an hour ago

imtommygunn

I still think flybe shutting down up here has probably had a significant impact on the spread of this virus. 25% less flights per day.

imtommygunn

Quote from: Smurfy123 on May 13, 2020, 02:30:06 PM
Some very valid points I will say that
Tommy Surgeon said it in her parliament about an hour ago

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-52646588

I don't see anything in there(23 minutes ago) to suggest "Scotland moving forward and opening up things quicker than they said"?

"However she said that "for now the message remains the same", and that continuing to stick with the lockdown was "bringing forward the time that these restrictions can start to be eased"."

Is the above the bit you mean?

Rossfan

Who's "Tommy Surgeon" ;D
Re IBEC those semi States paying them fees are Employers who no doubt have IBEC reps assisting them in Trade disputes, pay negotiations etc.
Ross was certainly putting the Irish "Indo" slant on it alright.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

GetOverTheBar

Quote from: imtommygunn on May 13, 2020, 02:30:25 PM

I still think flybe shutting down up here has probably had a significant impact on the spread of this virus. 25% less flights per day.

Hard to argue with your point - or indeed anyone who's first instinct was to simply pull the plug on the airports. I just didn't and do not see it happening in the future. It should be that simple, but it isn't.

Why not? I appreciate freedom of movement argument, that's exactly why I said it wouldn't happen back at the start of this, but are we in danger of becoming a controlled state by adding something like this in effect to protect national interests going forward to our laws? It's an interesting debate to have.

imtommygunn

It's very different in this country. You could arguably get the 26 counties to do it but you'd never get unionists to allow it up north. The only way round that were the south to want to go that far would be to make every effort to close the border.

naka

Quote from: Last Man on May 13, 2020, 02:15:37 PM
For me personally, I am happy to go back to work because as the days go on I am starting to fear more for our economic future than the health risks we face currently. Boris can't continue to pay my mortgage indefinitley. Just my fatalistic opinion, but each to their own.
I would go back in a heart beat  and I sm in my 50s because the longer it goes on the reality is that there mightn't be anything to go back to, one of my competitors has already notified all staff under 1 year that they are being laid off as soon as August and the contribution from employers comes into effect.
If we are all sensible and business is sensible then it is doable.
People mightn't appreciate it but furlough at 80% is somewhat counter productive given the extended period of good weather ,  as I have 3/4 mates happy to sit it out .
post furlough everyone will be paying for this ( vat increase , income tax, pensions, and cuts across the board)
Interesting figures today
Out of all deaths in North being 449
only 21 were under 60 which is 4.6%
132 60-79
296 over 80.

Smurfy123

Tommy that would be it
Naka agree that we may have nothing to go back too. It's ok lying about the house getting 80% and all that but reality will kick in a few months time
The GAA closing down first saved the day here make no mistake about that!
The government hadn't a clue what to do and still don't. The first ministers said they will take the lead from the science and the head of science in the north said this morning the r rate is low and has been for a number of weeks so he would advise that they can take steps to start phase 1. But no watch them dither about and talk crap to get themselves another few weeks. The economy here is gone for 5/6 years and we are in for a deep recession which we will pay for big time.
Our great grandchildren may feel the affects of this

imtommygunn

QuoteScotland moving forward and opening up things quicker than they said Surgeon just confirmed. After all her bluster over the weekend

That's not what was said at all...

Quotecontinuing to stick with the lockdown was "bringing forward the time that these restrictions can start to be eased

continuing to stick with lockdown...

Smurfy123

Tommy she said that's why we can move things on quicker. I watched it. Stop quoting articles and watch the thing will you. It's like quoting a paper. I'm not about point scoring tommy I state facts ok.
If you want a pat on the back ok. Well done
Grow up tommy

imtommygunn

Catch yourself on Smurfy. I tried to read about scotland easing lockdown . I actually have a vested interest in that with family and wanted to know details and they didn't seem to exist anywhere. The details on that article are not the same as what you said.

If you are correct then I apologise but you haven't exactly covered yourself with glory in this thread so I wouldn't have thought it would be unreasonable to question you.