World Cup 2022

Started by sid waddell, March 25, 2021, 09:39:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Milltown Row2

Quote from: imtommygunn on March 31, 2021, 09:57:03 PM
Up there with that joke  ;D

I would say the result they got in Dublin, must be years ago now, was up there too.

England always seem to know how to win in qualifiers then fall apart in the tournaments.

Semis last time and shit the nest when favourites to get to final...

I was in Croatia for the semi finals and final, the semi final was unreal
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

imtommygunn

What is the deal with Werner? He looks like he has the potential to be brilliant but has been, on a lot of the occasions I saw him, brutal. There was a miss he had with Chelsea earlier was as bad as it gets too.

imtommygunn

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on March 31, 2021, 10:04:46 PM
Quote from: imtommygunn on March 31, 2021, 09:57:03 PM
Up there with that joke  ;D

I would say the result they got in Dublin, must be years ago now, was up there too.

England always seem to know how to win in qualifiers then fall apart in the tournaments.

Semis last time and shit the nest when favourites to get to final...

I was in Croatia for the semi finals and final, the semi final was unreal

Yeah bar that one tournament and tbh they got a good draw and struggled to get to the semis. A poor Colombia could have beat them and Sweden in the quarters no world beaters. They always seem to be less than the sum of their parts. (Though are a bit over hyped too)

JPGJOHNNYG

Yes this Im amazed there is not more chat about this in England. Southgate is a terrible manager. A brick could have got England to the semis of the world cup the way the draw opened up. When they played anyone half decent ie Croatia and Belgium twice, they lost. The current England squad is great but with that manger they are being held back big time.

Taylor

Quote from: JPGJOHNNYG on April 01, 2021, 01:16:57 PM
Yes this Im amazed there is not more chat about this in England. Southgate is a terrible manager. A brick could have got England to the semis of the world cup the way the draw opened up. When they played anyone half decent ie Croatia and Belgium twice, they lost. The current England squad is great but with that manger they are being held back big time.

its not the first time England had a great squad though.

Around 05 they had Cole, Terry, Ferdinand, Beckham, Lampard, Scholes, Gerrard, Owen, Rooney
96 they had Seaman, Pearce, Adams, Gazza, Ince, Shearer, Sheringham

Both of these periods could have been seen as really good teams but when it comes to the big tournaments they completely shit in the nest.

Their media do them no favours mind you

sid waddell

There's no real evidence to say Gareth Southgate is a terrible manager

There's no real evidence to say he's a particularly good manager either

Maybe he's just a competent but average manager, which is what I would lean towards

There will be more evidence available this summer

shark

Quote from: Taylor on April 01, 2021, 03:16:49 PM

Around 05 they had Cole, Terry, Ferdinand, Beckham, Lampard, Scholes, Gerrard, Owen, Rooney

Both of these periods could have been seen as really good teams but when it comes to the big tournaments they completely shit in the nest.

I think there is more depth there now. The first 11 may have been very strong (on paper at least) for those two eras, but there wasn't strong back up across all positions. I don't think they had a quality left sided midfielder for either era. They almost have too many options right now, and when they inevitably f**k it up Southgate will have all the Captain Hindsight's telling him he picked the wrong players.

trailer

Quote from: Taylor on April 01, 2021, 03:16:49 PM

England never seem to really know their best team. In some ways they have a lot of players at the same level and it can be difficult to make a case for one over the other. Even up front now they have Kane, Rashford, Sterling, Grealish, Foden, Greenwood, Lingard and does Mount fit in there as well?

Milltown Row2

Its how the England team fairs against the likes of France, Spain, Italy and Germany at the tournaments that decide if they are at the next level.

As some results have shown lately there are teams not performing at their best, but they manage to bring it to tournament football.

England are poor enough at playing tournament football, its totally different to these qualifiers.

When it gets to the tournaments some teams are actually playing for their country, they are playing to be picked up by a EPL or other top European teams

Sometimes I feel the English lads are hard to motivate
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

sid waddell

Spain were always poor at tournament football until they weren't

Milltown Row2

Quote from: sid waddell on April 01, 2021, 05:32:20 PM

So they developed and ended up winning them.

sid waddell

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on April 01, 2021, 05:33:20 PM

Yes

And then they were no longer poor at playing tournament football

By jove you've got it

Milltown Row2

Quote from: sid waddell on April 01, 2021, 05:34:49 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on April 01, 2021, 05:33:20 PM

Yes

And then they were no longer poor at playing tournament football

By jove you've got it

My point is after all these years of playing in nearly every tournament, they haven't cracked it bar 66...

They have started to retain ball better, this will enable them to tire other teams and make them make mistakes.

Ed Ricketts

Play-off Draw

1. Wales or Austria v Scotland or Ukraine

2. Russia v Poland v Sweden or Czech Republic

3. Portugal or Turkey v Italy or North Macedonia

One (or both, I suppose) of Portugal or Italy missing out. Both ranked in the top 8 in the world currently, FIFA won't be happy with this. Expect the pressure for the number of spots awarded to UEFA teams to be increased going forward. Might even end up with more than the 16 they've been promised for 2026, which could be good news for the Irelands.

Also a potential Wales v Scotland play-off final. Russia v Poland will be a bit of craic too.
Doc would listen to any kind of nonsense and change it for you to a kind of wisdom.

JPGJOHNNYG

Quote from: Ed Ricketts on November 26, 2021, 10:03:38 PM
Play-off Draw

1. Wales or Austria v Scotland or Ukraine

2. Russia v Poland v Sweden or Czech Republic

3. Portugal or Turkey v Italy or North Macedonia

One (or both, I suppose) of Portugal or Italy missing out. Both ranked in the top 8 in the world currently, FIFA won't be happy with this. Expect the pressure for the number of spots awarded to UEFA teams to be increased going forward. Might even end up with more than the 16 they've been promised for 2026, which could be good news for the Irelands.

Also a potential Wales v Scotland play-off final. Russia v Poland will be a bit of craic too.

Slap it up FIFA the pr1cks. Italy or Portugal not there but pub teams like Panama, Trinidad no problem. The world cup should be the best 32 teams end of but FIFA want to increase the madness further to 48 giving almost all the extra 16 spaces to more pub teams from Asia, Africa and central America. Pretty sure UEFA and Conmebol should set up their own tournament. Especially after the new rat president at FIFA goading them for not voting for 2 yr world cups.