Will you get a Covid vaccine if one becomes available in 2021?

Started by Angelo, October 22, 2020, 10:36:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Will you get a Covid vaccine if one becomes available in 2021?

Yes
122 (71.8%)
No
48 (28.2%)

Total Members Voted: 170

J70

Quote from: whitey on April 06, 2021, 12:26:23 PM
Quote from: J70 on April 06, 2021, 11:56:06 AM
Quote from: whitey on April 06, 2021, 02:29:16 AM
Just scheduled my first shot for Thursday morning-thank fvck

50 + and 1 underlying condition

When is MA opening it up to everyone? (Biden wants it nationwide by the beginning of May)

NY starts everyone over 16 this week.

Probably in the next 2 weeks but pretty much anyone can now get it.

I'm not a proponent of line jumping, and I have one legitimate pre existing condition, but other people I know who don't have predicting conditions are signing up anyway. Their logic is why should smokers, drug users and obese people get rewarded for bad life decisions and jump the line ahead of them

https://www.mass.gov/info-details/covid-19-vaccinations-for-individuals-with-certain-medical-conditions

NJ had smokers down among the heightened-risk groups early on too, which didn't go down well there either. I get the resentment, but those people are legitimately at higher risk of serious illness and will be among those taking up ICU beds if they contract COVID. Its a zero sum game, unfortunately.

I waited until I was eligible too (I also had a qualifying comorbidity which put me in the running before they got down to the completely young and healthy), but I could have moved earlier. NY allowed service industry workers who deal with the public to get in early, and there were quite a few Irish bars willing to help out friends and relatives with a wee note!

whitey

Quote from: J70 on April 06, 2021, 02:10:43 PM

When is MA opening it up to everyone? (Biden wants it nationwide by the beginning of May)

I'm not a proponent of line jumping, and I have one legitimate pre existing condition, but other people I know who don't have predicting conditions are signing up anyway. Their logic is why should smokers, drug users and obese people get rewarded for bad life decisions and jump the line ahead of them

https://www.mass.gov/info-details/covid-19-vaccinations-for-individuals-with-certain-medical-conditions

NJ had smokers down among the heightened-risk groups early on too, which didn't go down well there either. I get the resentment, but those people are legitimately at higher risk of serious illness and will be among those taking up ICU beds if they contract COVID. Its a zero sum game, unfortunately.

I waited until I was eligible too (I also had a qualifying comorbidity which put me in the running before they got down to the completely young and healthy), but I could have moved earlier. NY allowed service industry workers who deal with the public to get in early, and there were quite a few Irish bars willing to help out friends and relatives with a wee note!

LOL

"Former smokers" are also included in Massachusetts.

At least anecdotally, that's what tipped some people over the edge who otherwise were willing to wait a little bit longer.  I was just casually was chatting with someone last weekend and they told me about a local health center who were pretty much vaccinating all comers at this stage

Doesn't seem to be any shortage of vaccines up here at this stage

Milltown Row2

Quote from: whitey on April 06, 2021, 02:26:55 PM

LOL

At least anecdotally, that's what tipped some people over the edge who otherwise were willing to wait a little bit longer.  I was just casually was chatting with someone last weekend and they told me about a local health center who were pretty much vaccinating all comers at this stage

Can you send some of the extra's back home?
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Taylor

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on April 06, 2021, 02:32:16 PM

LOL

Do you mean down South MR?

Not much shortages in the North either

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Taylor on April 06, 2021, 04:09:48 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on April 06, 2021, 02:32:16 PM

LOL

Do you mean down South MR?

Not much shortages in the North either

The South, so that we can travel, get the games up and running and start having fans at the matches!!
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Evil Genius

Quote from: Angelo on April 06, 2021, 12:44:52 PM
So the EMA after weeks of grandstanding have now come clean and told us there is a risk of blood clotting from the AZ vaccine.
There's a risk from everything - including driving to the Vaccination centre to get your jab.

What's important is risk measurement. On which point, do you care to reply to my own post from 8.21pm yesterday?

Just in case you missed it, here it is again:

"Remember, that we're talking about 7 reported deaths, which have not yet been confirmed as having been caused by the vaccine. (Covid itself frequently causes clotting, albeit not necessarily the rare form linked with the 7 deaths).

But let us assume for the sake of argument that the vaccine was responsible. Since the vaccine isn't 100% effective in preventing death or serious illness, let's reduce the 18m AZ jabs administered to date to (a conservative) 14m which have been effective.

That means the odds of your getting this fatal clotting from the vaccine is 2 million to one!

Now look at the effect of not giving those jabs. One figure I've seen quoted is that 0.1% of Covid sufferers die. Which means that by giving those vaccines, there could easily be as many as 14,000 people alive who might otherwise have died. And that's just the UK."

14,000 vs 7 - I think I know which risk I prefer.
"If you come in here again, you'd better bring guns"
"We don't need guns"
"Yes you fuckin' do"

Newbridge Exile

I got my first Jab today at the Odyssey , it was well organized throughput and  probably about an hour in total from start to finish 

Angelo

Quote from: Evil Genius on April 06, 2021, 06:45:05 PM
So the EMA after weeks of grandstanding have now come clean and told us there is a risk of blood clotting from the AZ vaccine.
There's a risk from everything - including driving to the Vaccination centre to get your jab.

What's important is risk measurement. On which point, do you care to reply to my own post from 8.21pm yesterday?

"Remember, that we're talking about 7 reported deaths, which have not yet been confirmed as having been caused by the vaccine. (Covid itself frequently causes clotting, albeit not necessarily the rare form linked with the 7 deaths).

But let us assume for the sake of argument that the vaccine was responsible. Since the vaccine isn't 100% effective in preventing death or serious illness, let's reduce the 18m AZ jabs administered to date to (a conservative) 14m which have been effective.

That means the odds of your getting this fatal clotting from the vaccine is 2 million to one!

Now look at the effect of not giving those jabs. One figure I've seen quoted is that 0.1% of Covid sufferers die. Which means that by giving those vaccines, there could easily be as many as 14,000 people alive who might otherwise have died. And that's just the UK."

So what incentive is there for an u40 to take that risk when the chance of them dying from Covid or becoming seriously ill from it is so remote and that's if they even get it in the first place.
GAA FUNDING CHEATS CHEAT US ALL

Milltown Row2

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on April 06, 2021, 07:11:07 PM
Are the odds the same?

Yeah close enough I think , it's the rationale now being used by some countries for not giving it to younger people. There is as much chance of dying of COVID as there is of getting clots from vacinne. But I'm not sure what is classed as "young"

bennydorano

Quote from: Angelo on April 06, 2021, 07:09:15 PM

So what incentive is there for an u40 to take that risk when the chance of them dying from Covid or becoming seriously ill from it is so remote and that's if they even get it in the first place.
Help stop further surges
Help stop the rise & spread of variants
Help protect family & friends
Help protect vulnerable members of society
Help speed up our return to normal by achieving Herd Immunity through vaccination
Look after your own health prospects
Civic duty

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

Quote from: bennydorano on April 06, 2021, 07:31:32 PM
Quote from: Angelo on April 06, 2021, 07:09:15 PM

Help stop further surges
Help stop the rise & spread of variants
Help protect family & friends
Help protect vulnerable members of society
Help speed up our return to normal by achieving Herd Immunity through vaccination
Look after your own health prospects
Civic duty

But if everyone else that's at risk is vaccinated and AZ vacinne puts certain ages at risk of dying from it as from COVID  itself surely it makes it understandable that people will choose not to get a comparatively rushed vacinne

Milltown Row2

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on April 06, 2021, 07:38:40 PM
All of them are rushed?

I know that's why I used comparatively and it never had the efficacy percentages from get go either when you look at others . I choose not to get it, I'm not an anti vaxxer, not mad but I think if you phoned me tomorrow and offered Pfizer I'd probably take it

Evil Genius

Quote from: Fear Bun Na Sceilpe on April 06, 2021, 07:42:44 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on April 06, 2021, 07:38:40 PM
All of them are rushed?

I know that's why I used comparatively and it never had the efficacy percentages from get go either when you look at others . I choose not to get it, I'm not an anti vaxxer, not mad but I think if you phoned me tomorrow and offered Pfizer I'd probably take it
If the choice is between Pfizer and AZ, then that might be a reasonable response.

But when the choice is between AZ and no vaccine? (Or at least, no vaccine for another 6 months?)

Remember, there are up to 18m people in the UK alone who've had the AZ jab, thousands of whom might not be alive otherwise. And these aren't just the elderly, many have been younger people with underlying conditions, or front line workers.

And all that's before you get to the fact of those AZ vaccinated spreading the virus to their fellow citizens at a much lower rate than if they'd never been vaccinated in the first place.
"If you come in here again, you'd better bring guns"
"We don't need guns"
"Yes you fuckin' do"